Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Tattoos and ornamental rings and piercings !

I understand wanting to express one's individuality but these things I just don't get.
+1. I definitely don't see the point of this....

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

That is why God invented paper bags.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

What I don't get is College Football Signing Day ? My So gets so excited about it and he is on the phone the week before to his kids about it . I just don't get it but I don't tell him that .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just don't get anything at all, all the current TV shows, what I read in the media, the Internet, the music on the radio, etc... It's better I not start to enumerate them, lest I get banned from this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Ask me how DW/my returns have done over the last three decades? Well, that's worth discussion...
Yes!

Even more interesting is how our portfolio will perform in the next three decades.

Umm... Never mind... Even if there is a way to tell, perhaps I should not know right now.

For I may be just too depressed I will make some very bad moves, and that makes that bleak future a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't understand why anyone cuts down a living tree to adorn their living room for 2 weeks of the year. I mean, isn't it better for every tree to remain living to purify our air rather than end up on the woodchipper?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I don't understand why anyone cuts down a living tree to adorn their living room for 2 weeks of the year. I mean, isn't it better for every tree to remain living to purify our air rather than end up on the woodchipper?
Most of these trees are crops, grown at a tight spacing and probably wouldn't thrive if left to get bigger. During the time they were alive they did a great job of removing CO2, and the little trees that replace them will also do a great job.
If the tree farmer didn't grow those trees, maybe he'd be growing corn for ethanol, which would be even worse for the environment.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I just don't get anything at all, all the current TV shows, what I read in the media, the Internet, the music on the radio, etc... It's better I not start to enumerate them, lest I get banned from this forum.
+1

For me mainly The Bachelor (or Bachelorette), Dancing with the Stars, Housewives of whatever, any soap opera or reality show.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Twitter.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to not get what I called non-comedy comedy, which others called snarky comedy. Examples include The Onion, The Office, Parks & Recreation, Tina Fey and the like. Then I heard it described as sarcastic comedy and suddenly got it. Neither snark or sarcasm are forms of humor. The audience for non-comedy needs to feel superior to someone and can only do that by laughing at fictional versions of characters so exaggerated as to be 1 in a million.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
But I'm sure there is a lot more to it than women will ever tell men. Must be a Psych 15000 course to get it revealed.
Just about. Twenty years ago or so I read an earlier edition of this book http://www.amazon.com/You-Just-Dont-...3611307&sr=1-1 and it was like the Book Of Revelations. "Oh, so that's why she does that!"

Still, so many times why she does what she does is still on the hazy edge of consciousness for me. The reverse is true for her. The brains are wired differently. Sometimes it's frustrating.

But she's cute.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #51

I hate to sound stupid but what is planking? I never heard of it.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #52

I just don't get that my wife insists on washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I hate to sound stupid but what is planking? I never heard of it.
Google is your friend. From wikipedia
Quote:
"Planking" (or the "Lying Down Game") is an activity consisting of lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location. Both hands must touch the sides of the body and having a photograph of the participant taken and posted on the Internet is an integral part of the game.[1] Players compete to find the most unusual and original location in which to play.[1] The term planking refers to mimicking a wooden plank. Rigidity of the body must be maintained to constitute good planking.

Since early 2011, many participants in planking have photographed the activity on unusual locations such as atop poles, roofs and vehicles. Planking can include lying flat on a flat surface, or holding the body flat while it's supported in only some regions, with other parts of the body suspended. Planking (fad) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just don't get that my wife insists on washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
Uh...I get everything my DW does. Especially since she reads forum pages too. Frank, some things are better left undisclosed. You'll live longer
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Twitter.
I still don't get using it to talk to other people, text seems better for that. But for tracking magazines, organizations and people of interest, it's wonderful. I check in every day, way more efficient than trying to follow interests manually. PM if you want a fuller explanation. I am glad I tried it...not at all what I expected.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

As Khan used to say, when I read pop lit about "this is what women are like," I conclude that in spite of convincing physical evidence I am not actually a woman.

I don't get the pillow thing, either, at least not past the early teenaged years, when the frilly bed was sort of a girls' social center.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Just about. Twenty years ago or so I read an earlier edition of this book Amazon.com: You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation (9780060959623): Deborah Tannen: Books and it was like the Book Of Revelations. "Oh, so that's why she does that!"

Still, so many times why she does what she does is still on the hazy edge of consciousness for me. The reverse is true for her. The brains are wired differently. Sometimes it's frustrating.

But she's cute.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I don't get people watching. Those people might be watching the people who are watching them watch them watch them!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm always puzzled by the "we won today" comments, you were sitting on your couch watching at the time...
"I watch sports on TV for exercise. I'm really tired after a good game; aren't you?" Gallagher

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+1. I definitely don't see the point of this....

Victim of an explosion at the bling factory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
That is why God invented paper bags.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
+1

Ask me how DW/my returns have done over the last three decades? Well, that's worth discussion...
O.K., I'm asking: how have your returns done over the last three decades?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote