Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Twitter.
One member of this board had their ISP's server go offline and thought it was something he'd done. The ISP help desk kept encouraging him to think it was something he'd done, too. Then he searched Twitter for the #hashtag of the ISP and found out that they'd had a power outage coupled with a backup generator failure. They weren't exactly forthcoming with their customers, but they were outed on Twitter within minutes.

I follow a number of personal-finance bloggers and get good ideas from their links. It's not just the articles they put on their blogs, but rather "breaking news" or other commentary that they wouldn't normally turn into a post.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't get people watching.
Not even when you were younger? Remember those earlier, distant years?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Victim of an explosion at the bling factory..
Does she get twitchy around magnets?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Umm... Never mind... It may be just a man's thing. See below.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I don't get really big homes. Even if I had $20 million and servants I wouldn't want a 4,000+ square-foot house
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just don't get that my wife insists on washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
Same here ....

OTOH, I make sure the diswasher is "loaded properly" (to ensure a good water pattern to all dishes ) which she dosen't do.

We both have our strange habits...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll tell you something I don't get. Why is it that so many Hollywood types and sports "stars" are always getting into trouble with the law or doing something stupid. Someone is always acting up. This latest episode with Alec (or is it Alex) Baldwin, really gets to me. Someone needs to kick their a**! They think the rules don't apply to them. I'd have loved to been a really big guy on that flight and put him in his place. Like, "look punk, do as the lady says and turn off your damn gadget or I'll stick it up your a**". Somebody needs to put these people in their place.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I'll tell you something I don't get. Why is it that so many Hollywood types and sports "stars" are always getting into trouble with the law or doing something stupid. Someone is always acting up. This latest episode with Alec (or is it Alex) Baldwin, really gets to me. Someone needs to kick their a**! They think the rules don't apply to them. I'd have loved to been a really big guy on that flight and put him in his place. Like, "look punk, do as the lady says and turn off your damn gadget or I'll stick it up your a**". Somebody needs to put these people in their place.
I think we can all agree this post qualifies for the E-R.Org Rant Hall of Fame!!! Take a bow, Johnnie!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

What I don't get and apologies in advance to Jacob is making a rake ? The homemade sweater I get but a rake they are $12 at Home depot !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm puzzled why they clap at the closing bell of the stock exchange when the closing numbers are down. Are they just happy the day is over?
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Fun thread to read. Thanks to all. At the risk of repeating some of the great items, here are mine:

Twitter

Facebook

People yapping on cell phones while driving

People yapping on cell phones on trains, knowing they are annoying to those around them.

Body piercings, especially nipples and tongues BLEECHH!

People who waste money then complain they don't have enough money.

Women who refuse to date men who are shorter than they are (I am 5'11" so this has not generally been a problem for me, but I know others for whom it has been).

Two-three minutes of commercials in a TV show followed by 2 or 3 promos for upcoming shows, THEN 2-3 more minutes of commercials.

Anyone who falls for one of those Nigerian email lottery scams.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Even if I had ...servants I wouldn't want a 4,000+ square-foot house
I hope that you would then build a servants' quarter for them. Else, they would have to sleep on your couch, or in sleeping bags on the family room's floor. I can picture that in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I'm puzzled why they clap at the closing bell of the stock exchange when the closing numbers are down. Are they just happy the day is over?
+1. On days when the Dow dropped 4 or 5 hundred points too!

Or perhaps they just shorted the market. Darn!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

rap/hip-hop/gangsta (no offense!)

Car woofers that vibrate my dwelling's windows from 100 ft (with their windows rolled up) I hope they go deaf!

Texting while driving

Middle-class $50K weddings

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
They are looking at it in a positive manner - cheaper equities to buy when the market again opens (I tend to look for the good in things, regardless of how bad things actually are...)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't get people watching. Those people might be watching the people who are watching them watch them watch them!
I enjoy people watching under the right circumstances (like NOT in Walmart!). It's a great part of traveling and exploring new places. And here in the Valley it's a very enjoyable part of going out to eat at the nicer local establishments.

Audrey
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Things I just don't "GET"?
Kids.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Kids.

Before I suddenly got 3, I was with you! I finally realized God gives you kids so that you know how he feels about and interacts with you. (Not to get too theological or anything). I had even joined the "unhooked" generation to insure that I would not have kids. God had other plans. I could hear him laugh. It was a good laugh, just the same. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Before I suddenly got 3, I was with you! I finally realized God gives you kids so that you know how he feels about and interacts with you. (Not to get too theological or anything). I had even joined the "unhooked" generation to insure that I would not have kids. God had other plans. I could hear him laugh. It was a good laugh, just the same. YMMV
I've not heard of the "unhooked" generation, but love it!
Good for you for dealing with what came your way, despite your preparations.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Kids.
Apparently you've learned far more from your lack of experience than I've learned from nearly two decades of it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

'been about 6 years on a commercial flight. Upon landing most people were giving a rousing round of hand clapping. What do the bozos do when it is a crash landing, boooo?