Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why people delight in belittling what other people enjoy, support or believe in? (running and ducking)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Why people delight in belittling what other people enjoy...? (running and ducking)
Like revenue-generating activities? There's a running thread against that as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's a lot more fun up in the pointy end of the plane.
Umm... What end is that again?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Umm... What end is that again?

My comment was in reference to crosswind landings, not playing darts...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

That Aria flight did land with a crosswind!

Well, not sure if crosswind had anything to do with it, but it came in a bit fast, landed long, then run out of runway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That Aria flight did land with a crosswind!

Well, not sure if crosswind had anything to do with it, but it came in a bit fast, landed long, then run out of runway.
This picture validates the old reply when people complain about getting seats at the rear of the plane: At least airplanes don't back into the side of a mountain...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Umm... I knew of a plane that landed a bit too hard, and its tail broke off. Vertical tail and the horizontal stabilizer. Gaping hole looking into the fuselage. The break was about right after the rear-most seats, if I can recall. It was a test flight, not a revenue flight though.

PS. I know this is a severe case of topic drift, but cannot resist. And I know there are former pilots and aviation enthusiasts here. The landing I mentioned was intentionally made hard, to certify that the aircraft frame could stand up to a certain structural limit. The test pilot messed up, and landed it way too hard. Oops... This happened many years ago, and was widely known in the aviation industry, as it was reported in Aviation Week. People used to joke about it, at the expense of the poor test pilot. Even today, people still remember this. See following comment from a pilot as posted in a forum.

The intent of this particular flight was to land at a 12fps descent rate, a very hard landing rate for a commercial airliner.
The pilot in command on this flight messed up a bit, and brought it down at a 17fps rate - basically a carrier landing descent rate.
This is almost 3 times the 'normal' landing descent rate of 6fps used by most airlines.
This film-clip is really a testament to the quality of the MDC product.
I'm certain that most airliners would have snapped in half at mid-fuselage at this abusive descent rate.

So, do not let my jokings scare you.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

As the old saying goes, the pilots are always the first ones at scene of a crash.

Flying in the Aleutians, those crosswind landings are routine. Takeoffs are even more interesting when from the cockpit, in my case usually the jump seat, while still in ground effect turn sideways, and watching the scenery go across the windscreen.

The pilot balancing power to accelerate but not too much, so we were not scraping the mountainside with the nose or the tail but still gaining altitude, and not take off the church spires going over town.

I was always in awe of the Reeve Aleutian Air pilots, they could do amazing things with YS11s.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Those modified Hondas a) the noise from the muffler is really annoying unless you have a 5-7 yr boy's mentality b) it's still a 4 cylinder & c) the cost to install can exceed the value of the car
Lou-evil...

How 'bout those Hoosiers!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #109
Gone but not forgotten

What I don't get is all the new things they have for baby care . What baby needs a gym or a specialized pillow ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
"Unhooked generation"? Is that like the "Sunkist Club" for vasectomies..... all juice, no seeds
Yep, that's it.

I borrowed an old "stop smoking" campaign slogan (join the unhooked generation). Just seemed to fit. Tried to Google and I see that the phrase has been purloined and co-opted by so many other folks that the original meaning seems to be lost. I guess that's how you know how effective someone's add campaign is. The message becomes incorporated into the vernacular.

A funny (to everyone else ) sidelight: As you know, the "procedure" is done with local anesthetic. With the first cut, I rose off the table as the anesthetic had not been completely effective. Kind of reminds me of (IIRC) a Cosby album bit regarding the same subject. The Dr. is working away while Cos is relaxing on the table. The Dr. says "Oooops!" Don't recall the rest of the bit.

Sure they got all the bugs worked out of this procedure by now, heh, heh. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What I don't get is all the new things they have for baby care . What baby needs a gym or a specialized pillow ?
It's a hypercompetitive society out there, and it appears to me that some folks think creating the "right" environment for a 2-year-old will give them an early advantage in the college admissions game, I suspect. These days it's never too early to gain a competitive advantage.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This picture validates the old reply when people complain about getting seats at the rear of the plane: At least airplanes don't back into the side of a mountain...
True - and they live longer than the people at the front of the plane
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't get bra straps showing! Growing up in the fifties through seventies, it was enough to ruin your day at school to be told that a bra strap was peeking out of your sleeveless dress/top! There were even these loops to prevent it! Now people will wear a regular bra with the most cutout tops (like halters and strapless) and have the straps show. Not that I think it's indecent---I just think it ruins the style. But I know, it IS the style! It's just that I am old enough to think of bras (including the straps) as UNDERwear....
Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yep, that's it.

I borrowed an old "stop smoking" campaign slogan (join the unhooked generation). Just seemed to fit. Tried to Google and I see that the phrase has been purloined and co-opted by so many other folks that the original meaning seems to be lost. I guess that's how you know how effective someone's add campaign is. The message becomes incorporated into the vernacular.

A funny (to everyone else ) sidelight: As you know, the "procedure" is done with local anesthetic. With the first cut, I rose off the table as the anesthetic had not been completely effective. Kind of reminds me of (IIRC) a Cosby album bit regarding the same subject. The Dr. is working away while Cos is relaxing on the table. The Dr. says "Oooops!" Don't recall the rest of the bit.

Sure they got all the bugs worked out of this procedure by now, heh, heh. YMMV
Out here they've even got "scalpel free" snips. Not sure how well they work
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Flying in the Aleutians, those crosswind landings are routine. Takeoffs are even more interesting when from the cockpit, in my case usually the jump seat, while still in ground effect turn sideways, and watching the scenery go across the windscreen.

The pilot balancing power to accelerate but not too much, so we were not scraping the mountainside with the nose or the tail but still gaining altitude, and not take off the church spires going over town.

I was always in awe of the Reeve Aleutian Air pilots, they could do amazing things with YS11s.

Nui <------- takes the Aleutians off her bucket list of places to go
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I don't get why:

They call it the American Cancer Society? Shouldn't it be the American Anti-Cancer Society? We don't have an Animal Cruelty Society, do we ( I hope not! I'm not an animal 'lover' but I hate to see them suffer)?

Along that thought train (And this might get me some flames), I don't get why they have 'walks' or 'runs' for things like cancer, etc. Yeah, I know, it is to 'raise awareness' and 'raise' money. But they aren't 'raising' money - they are 'collecting' money that other people raised (rose?).

It always struck me as odd. Now, if they said this group was going to go clean up a park, or something useful, and the money donated/saved for that effort would go to X charity, that would make more sense to me. I don't care if someone runs/walks somewhere - what does that have to do with my money? At any rate, I decide how much I'm giving to charity for the year, and if I do give to something like that, it's just going to come out of somewhere else (or I budget for X number of these misc things anyhow, but it is still a total $ thing).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't get why:

They call it the American Cancer Society? Shouldn't it be the American Anti-Cancer Society? We don't have an Animal Cruelty Society, do we ( I hope not! I'm not an animal 'lover' but I hate to see them suffer)?

-ERD50
George Carlin: why do they call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. What you want is a COLD water heater
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #118
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
George Carlin: why do they call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. What you want is a COLD water heater
George Carlin was my favorite comedian . I saw him in concert twice and both times I laughed so much I missed half the lines !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, you are already relatively close to those islands, and you should still go.

Though, you may be a bit late to join the residents' support of the "Occupy Wall Street" movement. Here's a photo of some islanders displaying signs proclaiming "Occupy the Bering Sea"!

Argghh! Someone is going to add this "Occupy the Bering Sea" to the list of things they don't get!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good move.

I flew from Midway to Adak and couldn't wait to refuel and get the heck out of there...