Things you just don't get !

I don't get that people don't get stuff. ;) Google and Wiki have pretty much solved most of life's mysteries...
I beg to differ.

Yes, Wikipedia and the Internet in general are extremely handy in helping one "gets" stuff. But that is only in the knowledge realm of history, the sciences, etc... We can never "get" the depth of the human soul, the nooks and crannies of the human mind. I will never "get" what some people do. I don't think people can really "get" what I do or think either. And I may not want to be so transparent, although I am really not that weird.

Well, I must be only just a little weird, because my wife of 31 years seemed to understand me fairly well. Or was it that she has learned to recognize my modus operandi, but doesn't really "get" me as she proclaims often? Heck, I don't "get" myself sometimes...

PS. Time for some music. Posted this before, but I have to flog it once more.

Last edited:
I will admit that my brain hurts trying to understand Steven Hawking's books, quantum mechanicss, and of course the #1 mystery in the world in women.
Lucy Honeychurch, a heroine of Room With a View says "Why do men always have opinions about women? I don't have opinions about men."

I think it may not be true that she did not have opinions about men, but it is certainly true that we men do tend to categorize and intellectualize and stereotype women. If we ever stopped and just looked and listened with an open mind, we might be very surprised- and likely pleased.

Ha

NW-Bound, my mom and I played and sang that song ("Windmills of Your Mind") she had in a music book back in the late 1970s. We both played it on the piano and I could also play it on the guitar.

We played it in a more upbeat manner, though, not the slow ballad style in the video clip. I recall back then on the old "Muppets Show" one of the muppets sang the song very quickly with a funny backdrop and that was more like how we sang it. I wonder if that is on a video clip?

A funny (to everyone else ) sidelight: As you know, the "procedure" is done with local anesthetic. With the first cut, I rose off the table as the anesthetic had not been completely effective.
There are some parts of the human anatomy where you just don't want to see (let alone smell) the smoke rising off the cauterizer...

I flew from Midway to Adak and couldn't wait to refuel and get the heck out of there...
Petropavlovsk and Vladivostok look pretty nice by comparison to Adak. Especially through the periscope's high-power setting.

I don't get why humans can't do a little better job of standardization.
The term you're seeking is "confusopoly".
The Dilbert Future - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing I don't get: the current fashion trend of winter sweaters with short sleeves. Makes no sense in MN.

Women wearing boots during the winter - in Florida.

Well, not sure if crosswind had anything to do with it, but it came in a bit fast, landed long, then run out of runway.

Depends on what the criteria are. Everyone's heard "A good landing is one that everybody walks away from".

A great landing is when they can use the airplane again.

Everyone would benefit from having only four different filters, and everyone using the same part number.
Being that I retired from an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), I could write pages on why there are different numbers, I'll just comment on some of the reasons.

The part number is more than just a part number. Ours indicated specific coding, and was used (based upon the coding) to drive IT systems related to design, manufacture, modification, and further improvement. Not all OEM replacements (e.g. the companies who manufacture generic replacement parts) have the same reason to improve or use the same part number schema in their in-house systems. While we would change part numbers to match the rev (revision) due to design/improvement, OEM replacement companies may or may not decide to "improve their product".

Also, if they decided to improve on an old product that we no longer produced (but they had a business to maintain), their schema (part number) would always change along the way.

Another thing as related to marketing (on the OEM side). When I started there (in the late 70's), we were "vertically integrated" - that is we produced in-house all our own parts (from screws on up) for the finished product.

When we were bought out (more than once) and the new owners decided to have third party suppliers (to eliminate the cost/maintenance of in-house production equipment - such as screw machines), we needed to maintain the part number under "our rules" to reflect the source of the part used in our product.

If there was a safety recall (think run-away Toyota's), we needed to determine what actual part number was used in our product, and which supplier actually supplied the product along with the manufacture/use date.

Just to point out that a part number is not "generic" at all. It's used for much more just to figure out what kind of oil filter you need to replace...

As an additional point as related to recalls, I attended some IT conferences with a guy from American Airlines that I got to know, back in the '80's. We were talking about the timeline of recalls (since we both did them). At my company, the federal recall notice (or indivudial court action) meant that we could provide the manufacture info for a unit (consisting typically of +20k parts) within a 2-3 week period. That would have to be further matched against the maintenance record of the vehicle to account for non-OEM parts used after delivery.

For him (working with an aircraft builder, such as Boeing) and an aircraft went down, it was required within a 24-36 hour time period by the feds. Boeing would have to supply the initial OEM tail number build info, and American would have to provide maintenance/upgrade part info ASAP. If a failing part was still "in the air", those units would have to be grounded immediately - depending on the fault.

Just to point out that part numbers are important, and there is a reason for multiple ID's for the "same assumed part"...

Last edited:
One thing I don't get: the current fashion trend of winter sweaters with short sleeves. Makes no sense in MN.
We can tell that it's winter in Hawaii when the fashionistas start wearing knee-high boots with their short-shorts and tank tops.

I don't see anything wrong with that, but I'll keep my eyes on the situation...

Same here :facepalm: ....

OTOH, I make sure the diswasher is "loaded properly" (to ensure a good water pattern to all dishes :cool: ) which she dosen't do.

We both have our strange habits...

Yeah -29 yrs - and my dishes were always cleaner -in my mind.

heh heh heh - and later an SO who made me take out the dishwashaer cause she didn't like them. :rolleyes: Wouldn't let me wash either.

I don't get it when people keep their garages packed for years with boxes of junk, the contents of which elude them it has been so long since they have opened them, while their expensive cars sit parked in the driveway...baking in the sun during the summer and gathering snow that must be cleaned off in the winter.

I also don't get renting storage units for years and years...racking up bills for more junk they will never use.

Like this? I saw this up here all summer with the younger (and not so young) crowd, shorts and Uggs or other boots. Huh?

Yes I know I'm not supposed to "get it." The "fashions" when I was a teenager made no sense either in retrospect...

Attachments

• Tweenphoto-620x620.jpg
    Tweenphoto-620x620.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Schadenfreude, when the sufferers in question have done you no harm or you don't even know them.

Amethyst

People who keep attack dogs as pets.

And yes, I've been attacked. :blush:

Scrabbler, I never heard that song on the Muppet show, never watching much TV.

The song as originally sung in a 1968 movie starring Steve McQueen also had a faster tempo, though I much prefer the slow soulful rendition by Alison Moyet above. This song by the composer Michel Legrand was popular for a while, as it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1968.

Just saw in Wikipedia that "the opening two melodic sentences were borrowed from Mozart's second movement from his Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Viola and Orchestra."

Will look for the above, plus the Muppet's rendition on youtube. :)

People who keep attack dogs as pets.

And yes, I've been attacked. :blush:

I know why. These people are simply a**h***s.

My state law allows for firearm discharge against animals, and also people, for self-protection (read these dog owners, if it comes to that). It has not happened to me to pack a pistol when walking or hiking, but I understand if some do.

Last edited:
Middle aged people, who should know better, who dress like slobs in public, in old blue jeans and a sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. You see them shuffling around shopping malls, like depressed zombies on quaaludes. Not just the awful clothing, but the slow, slow, slow pace, almost seems aggressive and antagonizing. Not just a couple here and there, lots of them, and in decent neighborhoods. Attack of the Zombie Slobs?

Middle aged people, who should know better, who dress like slobs in public, in old blue jeans and a sweatshirt, and tennis shoes.

At least he didn't mention people who wear gym clothes when they are not on the way to the gym so I'm safe ! :)

Back
Top Bottom