Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Think You Won't Get Hurt As Long As Other People Are Around?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Think You Won't Get Hurt As Long As Other People Are Around?

The Seattle Times: Video

Watch the extreme effectiveness of these security guards. Why, they are almost as good as the SPD! The SPD has been known to watch a murder take place, these security guards only observed a non-lethal beating. Heroes!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It looked like the security guards were sternly suggesting to the kicker to not kick the kickee too much.

Maybe they aren't authorized to actually use physical force?

Maybe they only get paid $10.50 an hour and hence don't think it is worth risking breaking a nail.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It looked like kicks to the head and neck were taking place. That's pretty lethal.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It looked like kicks to the head and neck were taking place. That's pretty lethal.
That is what killed a young man in Seattle during Mardi Gras, 2001. Kicked to death.

Ha
Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Maybe they aren't authorized to actually use physical force?

Maybe they only get paid $10.50 an hour and hence don't think it is worth risking breaking a nail.
Probably. There is always another side to the story in something like that. Remember the Wal-Mart employee fired for chasing a shoplifter?

In all likelihood they were told in no uncertain terms that under no circumstances were they to use any type of physical force.

Lawsuits, you know. Would you risk losing everything you've ever worked for to stop the beating? That's probably the position they were in.

That said, I would most likely have tripped over my feet and fallen into the midst of it and then been forced use appropriate force to defend myself....
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In all likelihood they were told in no uncertain terms that under no circumstances were they to use any type of physical force.
That seems to be the case, or something similar. I think the public didn't realize that "security" was just there to add to our tax bills, and not to provide any sort of security. So there has been a large outcry, and the "job description" is being modified.
Quote:
That said, I would most likely have tripped over my feet and fallen into the midst of it and then been forced use appropriate force to defend myself....
Good man.

Ha
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the article with the video: "Asked if he thought the guards acted appropriately in light of the policy, Desmond said, "The whole thing, in terms of what happened with or without a sensational video, is very concerning and very disturbing to us. On the face of it, the security guards were following the letter of the policy. I certainly wish they had done something different. ..."
Apparently - they are there only to observe and report activities. "Real" cops showed up several minutes after the event.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they were UN troops.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
"The whole thing, in terms of what happened with or without a sensational video, is very concerning and very disturbing to us.
This statement tells me all I need to know. His concern is precisely the video, and the bad publicity that came from it.

Ha
Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #10

The Police often can only do the reports and send for the body bags after an event.

Better be prepared to take care of yourself.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11

I heard on the radio this morning that transit police officers (i.e. county sheriff's dep't) will be patrolling the tunnel in the future. I wonder why they haven't been in the past. IMO it doesn't make any sense to have so-called guards who are ordered not to intervene in the event of a crime occurring in the tunnel, as these apparently were. I wonder if they were also ordered not to give first aid in the event of an accidental injury? Do they know CPR in case someone has a heart attack on the platform?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that transit police officers (i.e. county sheriff's dep't) will be patrolling the tunnel in the future. I wonder why they haven't been in the past. IMO it doesn't make any sense to have so-called guards who are ordered not to intervene in the event of a crime occurring in the tunnel, as these apparently were. I wonder if they were also ordered not to give first aid in the event of an accidental injury? Do they know CPR in case someone has a heart attack on the platform?

Hmmm.... why go to the expense of having security guards when all they are there to do is 'observe and report'.... heck, the camera was better at observing what happened... maybe not there to report, but three guys were hanging around the same spot...

Now let's see what happens to the girl who did the beating... more than likely.... nothing...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I heard last night that she has been arrested and is facing 2 years in juvi. The boys with her are also facing charges.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #14

Nope. Never thought I would not be hurt just because other people were around.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-07-31-canada_N.htm

Guy cut his head off while everyone watched. Well actually not watched so much. Scrambled to run away.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:

Lawsuits, you know. Would you risk losing everything you've ever worked for to stop the beating?
The abused teen could prosecute this one without a lawyer (against the CITY).
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Actually those folks were contracted by the municipal transportation agency and prohibited from intervening. Evidently there has been no history of violence in the tunnel, police were too expensive so they went with 'observers' as just their presence deterred bums and the like. The most effective deterrent, long term, is the prompt arrest and prosecution of the perps - no bail.

In Portland they have 'guides' that perform much the same function in the down town area. I don't know that they limit their response to such behavior but in Portland downtown I doubt that others would stand back unless they feared that one of the bad actors had a gun or a knife.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Lawsuits, you know. Would you risk losing everything you've ever worked for to stop the beating? ....
Yes I would. I would lose more if I didn't.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Nope. Never thought I would not be hurt just because other people were around.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-07-31-canada_N.htm

Guy cut his head off while everyone watched. Well actually not watched so much. Scrambled to run away.

It seems to me that--unless you have a razor sharp longer knife--it would take some time to decapitate and disembowel a human. What the heck was the bus driver and the passengers doing while this was going on? That's the sickest story I've read in a long time.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
It seems to me that--unless you have a razor sharp longer knife--it would take some time to decapitate and disembowel a human. What the heck was the bus driver and the passengers doing while this was going on? That's the sickest story I've read in a long time.
Ran away for their lives I suppose. If everyone carried handguns at least you wouldn't get decapitated...probably..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote