Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Umbrella policies are written by auto insurers but they cover your home?

So it would be like someone gets injured on your property and it would cover those occurrences?

Other than cars, what other situations could make individuals with a lot of assets liable?
However often a company that has your auto insurance will issue an umbrella policy even if they don't have the homeowners policy. I suspect the odds of a lawsuit arising from the auto are much larger than from the homeowners policy.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Is there anyone that does auto insurance but not homeowners insurance? If there is I bet they don't do umbrella policies.

Yes, if someone gets injured on your property. Or your dog bites someone. Or you get sued for slander or libel. Or anything else in this litigious society. Maybe you hit someone with an errant golf shot.
Full time RVers - but we had a special RV policy that included homeowners type liability insurance. Then the umbrella on top.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
When I was renting I had to have renters insurance in order to get an umbrella policy.
What I meant was companies issuing those policies in response to "Umbrella policies are written by auto insurers but they cover your home?"

The biggies all do auto and homeowners. There may be some auto only but I can't think of any, and I doubt they do umbrella insurance if they don't do homeowners.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pay under $250 for a 2 million policy. Kids out of house not on our insurance anymore. We have all of our insurance with State Farm for over 30 years.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm getting quoted $130 for $1 million, with just one property and one vehicle for myself.

Then $100 for each $1 million in additional coverage.

Seems in line with what most folks are saying here, though most of you seem to have more vehicles and persons covered.

I'd also have to pay $30-40 more a year to raise my homeowners liability in order to get the umbrella.

So if you add cars, you not only pay more for auto insurance, your umbrella policy would go up too ...
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I'm getting quoted $130 for $1 million, with just one property and one vehicle for myself.

Seems in line with what most folks are saying here, though most of you seem to have more vehicles and persons covered.

I'd also have to pay $30-40 more a year to raise my homeowners liability in order to get the umbrella.

So if you add cars, you not only pay more for auto insurance, your umbrella policy would go up too ...
Sounds like you might not have adequate protection right now.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #27

Quote:

Umbrella insurance is not instead of car or home insurance, it's in addition to car or home insurance. They insist the primary insurances (home, auto, boat, rental, etc) be of a certain level so that the umbrella insurance is not triggered at a lower level.

I'm not sure if adding additional cars has a big impact on the price of the umbrella policy - I would think it adds a little, but not a lot... the bigger price hit is covering this additional car to the levels required for the umbrella policy.

I have a rental property that is on the same lot as our primary home and I have teenagers. I feel that the umbrella policy gives me protection I need.