Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is another example of the many benefits of owning a motorhome. If this sport ever catches on in the US, I sure hope they change the "no modifications after sundown" rule...

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

"I lost a bit of structural rigidity."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Steve, can you talk about this a bit? This has crossed my mind a few times, as I would like a place to get away, but maintaining two houses is way more than I could imagine, especially if they are a couple hours apart. But a chunk of lad with septic, water, and power that you could stock an RV on would be a horse of a different color. Much lower property taxes, keeps your options open with the land (future homesite, resale, etc.), and probably a much lower all-in investment. Know anyone who has done this? I assume that you'd need a shed to keep stuff related to the power, water and septic in.
Like REWahoo says below there are many options. If you wanted to stay close to where you live now you could just buy a vacant lot that is zoned for a RV pad; put in the pad with a 50 amp power pole, fresh water and either septic tank or sewer. You carve out a small area of the lot for the pad and whatever else you want on it (storage building, garage, etc.) and you move the rv to the pad and hook it up. You now live in your rv. If you get a coach 5 or so years old (thanks for the chart REWahoo) and you find a coach with low miles and in very good shape you come out much cheaper than a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
And then, there's always Slab City:
slab city
It would be hard for the OP to live there and still maintain his inventory of parts for his hobby. Slab City has no power other than solar or generators, no water and no sewer so "living" there is not really practicle. Boondocking for a few days or a couple of weeks is not the same as living in a spot. Same goes for Quartzsite. Unless you are in a campground. BLM land has a two week residence timelimit so you would have to keep moving to stay legal.

We bought a RV lot in a "Resort" back East. We plan on using it a few times a year for extended stays and rent it out when we are not there. The rental should cover most of the HOA fees at least. This resort is in a great location and the prices are still not off the chart so appreciation is still a good bet here.

I know a guy who lives on 5 such lots. He lives in Canada on one in the summer and then moves South during the year. He is a retired firechief and bought them all at once when he sold his house. He is a fulltimer and has two RVs; a nice 36 ft Class A and an older 26 foot Class C he uses in Mexico.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Many areas will be zoned against a private RV lot. Might get away with it by buildng a large enough building to park inside and just not tell anyone. We have a one pad RV parking area but it only gets used a few times a year by friends.

Another approach would be live in your companies parking lot during the week and drive to a campgrounds on weekends to dump and refill tanks, do laundry and recharge. Probably have to move the MH in the parking lot from time to time. The commute would be short.

Jeb
Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
Another approach would be live in your companies parking lot during the week...
I think it would be less painful to just shoot yourself.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another approach would be live in your companies parking lot during the week...
Quote:
Reminds me of being on sea duty, inport, and living onbase.

"Oh, no problem, let's call Nords, he's only a two-minute walk from here and can come right over. In fact I think I saw him onboard eating dinner a few minutes ago, and I'm sure he'd be able to relieve you for a few hours!"

Or, in office-speak, "Why, sure, I know it's a bit late but I can have one of our people whip those numbers up for you in a few minutes. They're not in the office right at the moment but I don't think they've left the parking lot yet..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Check out pplmotorhomes.com a used RV site in Houston. It has all types of RV's with several pictures of the inside and outside of the units. That will give you some idea on prices.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #28

Brewer - My former next door neighbor was an RV dweller. He lived full-time in his RV -spent the winters in the south and summers on his lot in Illinois. He had electric, well, septic field, and a big garage. His lot was 5 acres of woods with a security gate. We live in a recreational area so the RV living arrangement was ok. But now I believe that ordinances are starting to curtail RV living in a standard residential subdivision. Check with local ordinances to see if RV living is allowed on vacant lots.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Your probably right, what was I thinking.

When I worked at MegCorp there were so many big parking lots that I think I could have camped for weeks moving around ever so often and no one would have known I was there to bother me. Figured if some one was willing to move between Walmarts, MegCorp parking lot shuffle would work to.

Wasn't there an old tv program called Trapper John MD where one of the doctors lived in an old RV in the parking lot. Had drinks sitting on the roof.

Jeb
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I recall reading about people living in RVs in parking lots during a transit strike in NYC years ago. For a few weeks it might not be too bad.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wasn't there an old tv program called Trapper John MD where one of the doctors lived in an old RV in the parking lot. Had drinks sitting on the roof.
Yep, I'd forgotten all about it - not surprising since I was working 60+ hour weeks at megacorp at the time. A 1979 MASH spinoff (from the movie, not the TV show) that lasted for 7 seasons on CBS.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brought Pernell Roberts aka Adam Cartwright out of hiding.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote