Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This isn't true for us, REW. I dropped the service but the phone company said that I could still dial 911 from the phone and there is a dial tone, or was the last time I checked a few months ago.
Interesting. When we dropped our landline the dial tone went away. Must be a state requirement in SC for the phone company to provide a lifeline 911 capability for residential land lines, even if service is canceled. Since I live in a "yer own your own" state, no such law here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

I use my cell phone for long distance so I do not pay for a long distance provider. My landline is Verizon. I had heard about a very basic service for under $20 inclusive. When I initially called to check on this and said "I am THINKING about canceling my landline....", I was told I already had the cheapest service (in the $30-$40 range). Later I called and said I wanted to CANCEL the service and bingo! I found a basic service. Now, it was amazing how it didn't get changed in the computer for a couple months which resulted in lengthy calls to them and also how the the deal I was given didn't show up in the computer on those calls. However, when I quoted the deal and said to cancel me unless that was what I was going to have, I got the original deal. So it took some frustrating calls and time spent (and I was mad enough by then that I was gonna cancel if it wasn't right the next time) but I basically have the same service as before (minus caller ID which I do miss) but $17 monthly including all fees/taxes. If you decide to do this and keep your landline, be wary of the 2-3 options they'll give you. The lowest one will be a promotional that is short term so look for the next one which is guaranteed for a couple of years. So I kept my landline but got the cost down....
Abby1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting. When we dropped our landline the dial tone went away. Must be a state requirement in SC for the phone company to provide a lifeline 911 capability for residential land lines, even if service is canceled.
This is also the first I've heard of extending 911 service to an unpaid land-line. Our dial tone on the land-line was definitely gone after we stopped service though.

It is true that any operational cell phone can access 911, whether you have paid for service or not. An old analog phone won't, unless they are still providing some analog channels where you call from, but I don't think anyone is.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Replacing Land Line With Cell Service
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replacing Land Line With Cell Service

I'd like to keep the land line number and my wireless extension phones and was wondering whether there was a way to do that with cell service. The way I see this working is to add another phone to my wireless family plan and then somehow connect the cell phone to my in house base phone and extensions. Anyone know if there is a way to do this?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I'd like to keep the land line number and my wireless extension phones and was wondering whether there was a way to do that with cell service. The way I see this working is to add another phone to my wireless family plan and then somehow connect the cell phone to my in house base phone and extensions. Anyone know if there is a way to do this?
I got curious, and some googling came up with this:

Amazon.com: Xtreme Technologies Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway (Black): Cell Phones…

The cell phone that you use with this must be BlueTooth capable ( looks like that is how they connect between cell and this box). Looks like it would fit the bill though. That's the first on I came across, so do some homework.

You might be better off with VOIP though. Those adapters will connect to your home phone network and/or a wireless base/extensions. Unlimited calling with VOIP.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I did find this link, but as they note, figuring out what states mandate soft-dialing for 911 from disconnected phones is rather difficult.

Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Update: About 911 and "disconnected" landlines

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I read the article, but there is no "Location" under "Settings" on my cell at all. Any other idea what it might be called?
Sorry, I haven't had a cell phone since before they could take pictures. In this department I'm completely clueless.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i read the article, but there is no "location" under "settings" on my cell at all. Any other idea what it might be called?
Check under "WTFRU?"
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Check under "WTFRU?"
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #30

Another plug for ooma ... it's already paid for itself (NO monthly/annual fee). Had one problem ... turned out the hub was fried (powersurge/lightning strike?). Four hours with Biff and Buffy before I got to a senior tech rep who could - no kidding - see the digits I dialed on my phone. He determined the hub was fried and authorized a free replacement. Everything ok so far.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I finally remember to check for a dial tone--we have one! We disconnected our home (landline) phone service at the first of the year. I still have a dial tone and (presumably) 911 service. YMMV.

Sarah, reporting in from SC.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

I ported my old home phone to vonage, just to keep the number. I don't have a phone hooked up to it, instead all calls go to vm with a auto voice to text translation, then i get an email. Works well for me. A traditional land line seems obsolete, at least for me!
v5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have never had a land line.
Kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm over at my friend's place. Today a salesperson from AT&T stopped by and tried a cold visit to sell their U-Verse package. Saying that the package starts out really low for the first 6 months, there are not commitments, etc. I sat back quietly at first just listening as he gave his sales pitch to my friend before I gave my opinion. He was quoting prices, on how my friend would save, etc. Then my friend says, she has MagicJack and could use this for long distance. Then I say, my honest opinion, I really don't care for all those channels. It's a pain in the butt flipping through all of them. I was about to mention that all I need is my Slingbox to watch my home sports team. We mention that I've just put up an over the air antenna and it's GREAT. Lots of free over-the-air channels, even a free movie channel (THIS). The salesman pretty much knows he's not going to make a sale and wishes us a good day.

He was very courteous and polite, I must say.