Join Early Retirement Today

Third Political Party 2008
Old 06-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Third Political Party 2008

I'm fed up with the dopes in Washington.

I can think of only a couple Senators that would be in my "Statesmen/women" category - Hagel & Obama come quickly to mind. I've struck McCain from the list last month :P

I'm thinking the US and I are ripe for an alternative and it could be possible that a third Party of some middle of the road flavor might have a slim chance.

Last night on the News Hour there was a Dem & Rep floating an idea of a third "Middle" party which would run a Presidential ticket with a Republican and a Democrat. What the hell! I could be interersted if they got the right people....

Let's see..... Powell or Hagel and Obama

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Third Political Party 2008
Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Third parties have no chance.

After weeding out the yellow dog republicans and democrats, the only effect a 3rd party has is to draw votes away from whoever they're just to the left or right of.

I dont think we're going to see anyone further to the right than the current rendition of the republican party, so you'll probably see a 3rd party do exactly what its done in the last handful of elections...steal votes from the democrats...

Nobody has the billions of dollars that go into the existing two parties campaigns...and people just vote for whoever looked good to them on tv and didnt get the worst smear job.

Which is sad, but there it is...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #3

Is a bald man (or woman to be fair) electable in this country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
...and people just vote for whoever looked good to them on tv and didnt get the worst smear job.

Which is sad, but there it is...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ross Perot and Gary Coleman proved something...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #5

Eisenhower!..but you have to be a supreme commander and win a world war
Old 06-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #6

Hopefully we get someone Fiscally Conservative and Socially Liberal!

A clone of Bill Clinton would be ideall. If the worst thing he did was soil a blue dress (Oh and lie about it), we'll be in great shape!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #7

If there had been more sex in the white house with whomever was available, we would be much better off right now
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien

Let's see..... Powell or Hagel and Obama* *
My guess is the only reason these three are still on your short list is because you don't know as much about them as the people you've eliminated already.

Seriously, the left-right-middle labels don't seem to apply much anymore. I'd like to see politicians rated on the corrupt liar -- honesty continuum first. I think I could stand most of their political leanings if I knew they weren't simply working for the PACs and lobbyists.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #9

Indeed, I care a lot more about the lies, payola, and secret deals of Duke Cunningham, Tom Delay, and Dick Cheney's energy "task force." Of course, with secrets, it's hard to know what to worry about so you tend to rely more on character. I figure if Cheney had a hand in it, Rush is in favor of it, or O'Reilly is screaming about it, worry is an appropriate response.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #10

hmmm, the post I responded to has vanished, leaving my post twisting in the wind. Ah well, I'm off to Edisto anyhow.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If there had been more sex in the white house with whomever was available, we would be much better off right now
As long as it doesnt involve Dick and George.

I think instead of investing billions in putting a man back on the moon, we should put a few bucks into putting one on Condi.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
After weeding out the yellow dog republicans and democrats, the only effect a 3rd party has is to draw votes away from whoever they're just to the left or right of.
If the "Conservative Xtian" party starts up as an alternative, they will get my donation. Not my vote, though...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Adams has a good plan for a third political party.

The Pragmatic Party

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Quote:

Let's see..... Powell or Hagel and Obama* *
My guess is the only reason these three are still on your short list is because you don't know as much about them as the people you've eliminated already.* *

See, now as much as I may have disagreed with you on the other post, I totally agree with this. One of us could be in trouble.

Seriously, the left-right-middle labels don't seem to apply much anymore.* I'd like to see politicians rated on the corrupt liar -- honesty continuum first.* I think I could stand most of their political leanings if I knew they weren't simply working for the PACs and lobbyists.* *