Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most sites I looked at just said 15-20%. One data point from Zagat 2012:
Quote:
The West Coast tips less than the rest of the country, with San Francisco tipping the lowest at 18.6% and New Orleans tipping the highest at 19.7%. The U.S. tipping average is 19.2%, a number that has grown steadily in the past ten years. In 2000, the average tip was 18%.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Most sites I looked at just said 15-20%. One data point from Zagat 2012:
Hmm. Maybe I'm getting a bit curmudgeonly here. I still think 15% is adequate for good service, especially if there is bar service. More if appropriate, but because the staff worked for it. Zagat is a good data point but seems a tad generous to me - perhaps their client base is tilted to people that spend a lot of time in restaurants and want to encourage repeat good service. For a $50 dinner tab the additional 4% (from 15% to 19%) is only $2 so it is small thing for the diner and a big thing for the staff and servers.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

The one place I tip a higher %, because the $ amount seems small for the time they spend, is the chain haircut places. $3 or $4 on a $10~$12 haircut is 30%, but it's still just $3 or $4. I guess I never actually stop-watched to figure the hour rate, if they manage 4-5 customers per hour (I doubt they average that), that doesn't seem like a lot for something that requires some skill. I'm assuming they make minimum wage and depend on tips, because it doesn't seem like $10 covers much overhead. And I don't buy any marked up 'products', so that's all they're getting from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Something that comes to mind is that we need to walk a mile in their shoes, receive the paycheck, and then evaluate.
That strikes me as a very curious thing to say.

Does that apply to every occupation? It's going to be tough for me to go out and be a car mechanic for a week, a doctor, a fireman, a carpenter, a CEO, work a cash register, etc, so I can decide what their job is 'worth'.

I think there's already a pretty good system in place for that, it called (wait for it....) the free market. Can't these people decide if the job is worth it, or worth seeking an alternative, themselves? Give them some credit.

And speaking of curious things to say, bold mine:

Quote:
If you have a problem with someone putting a ten or twenty into the hand of someone's daughter, because you know what is really going on, then we can just disagree. I'll continue to do this.
How does that play into it? Someone's daughter, or son, or... what? What else would they be? Does that change it somehow, so it's no longer supporting tax evasion? I don't expect you to stop on my account, but let's call a spade a spade.

-ERD50
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tipping is especially important during the Christmas season. I always wait for the NBC Today Show that discusses the proper amount to tip. If I miss the show, I'll go back to last years' recommendations.

In favorite restaurants. Usual waiter double.. or 40%, Maitre'D... $50
Doorman- $200
Dog walker- One month's pay or $200
Barber/stylist - $100
Manicurist - $50
Psychiatrist- $300
Trainer - $100
Superintendent $300
Butler.... naw, just kidding... Don't have a butler.

Biggest problem I have with general restaurant tipping is the way some of our friends are so tight it's embarrassing. Even worse when they pick up some of the money I leave, and give it back to me, saying it's "too much". Aaaaarghh.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Tipping is especially important during the Christmas season. I always wait for the NBC Today Show that discusses the proper amount to tip. If I miss the show, I'll go back to last years' recommendations.

Doorman- $200
Barber/stylist - $100
Manicurist - $50
Psychiatrist- $300
Trainer - $100
Superintendent $300
Gee, the only occupations on that list that I employ are waiter and barber. No butler or doorman here.......

I generally tip wait staff no extra during the holidays. Admittedly, we never go to restaurants on Christmas Eve or Christmas day and I might feel differently if we did and the service was superb. But an extra tip amount just because it's the holidaze season? Naw......

Last year I gave my barber a $45 tip after my December haircut. He charges $15. I don't tip him during the year.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tipping is especially important during the Christmas season. ....

Doorman- $200
Barber/stylist - $100
Manicurist - $50
Psychiatrist- $300
Trainer - $100
Superintendent $300...
Some of these must be jokes. I can't imagine a psychiatrist (an MD) would accept a tip.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #67

Quote:

Doorman- $200
Barber/stylist - $100
Manicurist - $50
Psychiatrist- $300
Trainer - $100
Superintendent $300

Biggest problem I have with general restaurant tipping is the way some of our friends are so tight it's embarrassing. Even worse when they pick up some of the money I leave, and give it back to me, saying it's "too much". Aaaaarghh.
$1300 so far in tips, not counting the 2x for the favorite waiter. If we tipped like that I'd have to go back to work.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
$1300 so far in tips, not counting the 2x for the favorite waiter. If we tipped like that I'd have to go back to work.
What makes it more strange, it that we live in the country, don't go out to eat often, don't have a dog, live more or less in the country, in a house, am already trained, not sure what a manicurist does, and haven't been to a barber in 52 years. As to the Pychiatrist?.... mebbe.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

In Asia, tipping is not customary and leaving of money on table may even be an insult; service is excellent. Waiting is a profession; not something for the young to do before starting "real" career.

In Europe, service charge of around 10% is already included in bill; service can be excellent or poor. Most small places the waiters are family. Even in larger, it is up to the owners to see if their waitstaff are driving customers away. Waiting is a profession for many; not necessarily something for the young to do.

In US, we have this arbitrary tipping rule. I don't mind a restaurant putting in rules for sharing of tips; after all, the waitstaff have a choice as to occupation. As to different minimum wage amounts; why do we need them at all?

Marc
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

Gee, the only occupations on that list that I employ are waiter and barber. No butler or doorman here.......

I generally tip wait staff no extra during the holidays. Admittedly, we never go to restaurants on Christmas Eve or Christmas day and I might feel differently if we did and the service was superb. But an extra tip amount just because it's the holidaze season? Naw......

Last year I gave my barber a $45 tip after my December haircut. He charges $15. I don't tip him during the year.
My barber is one I tip also. Four barbers in town and they all are locked in at $11 a haircut unchanged in price in over 12 years. Each one is afraid if they raise it a buck the others would get all the business, so I just give him $15 every time.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My 90 yo Dad has more money than they'll ever need, but when we go out to a restaurant and he wants to buy, I covertly watch his CC tip. It's usually in the 10-15% range (must have been the norm in 'his day') so I always have a $5, $10 or $20 in my pocket to drop on the table when we leave, once he's turned away. Everyone is happy, and Mom and Dad are none the wiser. I am sure many of us do the same...

Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What makes it more strange, it that we live in the country, don't go out to eat often, don't have a dog, live more or less in the country, in a house, am already trained, not sure what a manicurist does, and haven't been to a barber in 52 years. As to the Pychiatrist?.... mebbe.
Good on you, I think you had many of us scratching our heads.

I let my butler read it, he didn't think it was funny though, no sense of humor...

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #73

Quote:
My 90 yo Dad has more money than they'll ever need, but when we go out to a restaurant and he wants to buy, I covertly watch his CC tip. It's usually in the 10-15% range (must have been the norm in 'his day') so I always have a $5, $10 or $20 in my pocket to drop on the table when we leave, once he's turned away. Everyone is happy, and Mom and Dad are none the wiser. I am sure many of us do the same...
Yup, did the same thing. So far my kids have not started bumping up my tips, so apparently I'm still in touch., or they are frugal---nah, no way.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yup, did the same thing. So far my kids have not started bumping up my tips, so apparently I'm still in touch., or they are frugal---nah, no way.
How do you know? My Dad has no idea...

Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #75

Quote:
How do you know? My Dad has no idea...
When we are ready to depart, I visit the restroom while the others head for the car, then on the way out I do a final tip check--very covert.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Some of these must be jokes. I can't imagine a psychiatrist (an MD) would accept a tip.
+1. But, since he knows I'm Napoleon, I just granted Malta to him instead of a tip this year.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

I tip 20-25% based on service. I find tipping to be an annoying and awkward custom.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #78

Just out of curoisity how do tips on credit card bills get handled? There is no actual currency involved here so it is clearly recorded but how are they handed out?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just out of curoisity how do tips on credit card bills get handled? There is no actual currency involved here so it is clearly recorded but how are they handed out?
I believe the waiter's tip is reduced by the CC fee the restaurant must pay on the tip; probably every restaurant handles the disbursement to the waiter however management wishes? We usually tip in cash just so the waiter doesn't have to lose this CC fee (not so that taxes can be evaded).
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The CC slip usually has the waitperson's name on it, and the register system calculates the accumulated tips at the end of the shift when it is paid out in cash.

I never noticed a CC fee deduction from my tips, but I also might never have missed 3%.