This explains quite a bit...

Did you click on the popup that said "This will install malware on your computer! Malware is bad! By clicking you're failing the windows darwin award! Kiss your hard drive goodbye!" ;)

Interesting.
Could be waaaay off topic but I swear that sometimes I see behavoir that is similar to the students' when driving.

I think this study just confirms that most computer users have survived years of Windows training.

It's not unlike the response of aircrew to repeated annoying warnings. It's a common theme in post-accident write ups. A pilot has muted the obnoxious landing gear warning horn a thousand times because it is always wrong. As soon as the horn blares, the automatic response is to mute it as fast as possible. Except this one time the gear really should be down as they are approaching to land. If they are lucky, the crew might notice they are having to keep the power WAY back in order to slow for landing. Then the awful crunch. Then they notice that taxiing takes a LOT more power than usual . . .

I flew a checkride with a guy who left his gear down after a low approach. We flew back 40 miles with the gear down. I kept commenting on what a dog the aircraft was, and how slow it was. He never got the clue till it was time to put the gear down for landing again. DUH it is already down!

I flew a checkride with a guy who left his gear down after a low approach. We flew back 40 miles with the gear down. I kept commenting on what a dog the aircraft was, and how slow it was. He never got the clue till it was time to put the gear down for landing again. DUH it is already down!

Did you pass him or fail him?

Failed him. That was not his only problem. It was the last straw. However, the next check pilot that flew with his said he did the same thing. He passed him, 'with follow up training'. I was a 'santa clause' of a check pilot. That was the only guy I flunked in 7 years of giving check rides.

As a student on a solo flight, I rolled off the perch one time with the gear up in a T-37. I caught it during my final checks, slammed the handle down and was configured on rollout for final. Unfortunately, somebody (not in the RSU, an IP doing a walk around on the ramp) saw what happened and I got a rare "surface-to-air hook" when I returned to my flight room. It was well deserved.

You think it's easy to spot a cross-site script attack? It's not. I was buying a fridge and range today on sears.com when a helpful pop up window asked me to speak with a customer representative. So I ask you, did the pop up come from Sear.com or another site?

I think when the window is white on black blinking to black on white, maybe you'd consider for a moment that something is amiss.

On the other hand, what they did wasnt very indicative of anything. Had they posted that actual pop up saying 'this will install malware and you're failing the darwin test' that they pictured in the article, and people clicked on that, that would have been good entertainment.

Old joke: What's the second sign you've landed gear up? It takes a lot of power to taxi...
Typically heard on a submarine's first underway after a few weeks inport:
OOD: "Diving Officer, make your depth 800 feet."
Dive: "800 feet aye sir."
Quartermaster: "OOD, recommend ordering a flank bell to reach that depth."
OOD: "Why is that, QM?"
QM: "Sir, the charted depth at this position is only 600 feet..."
Dive: (Before OOD can open his mouth): "Make my depth 400 feet aye sir..."

Back
Top Bottom