Join Early Retirement Today

This is one nasty east coast storm
Old 04-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
gone traveling

This is one nasty east coast storm

Man even down here in the carolinas we are getting pounded by heavy rain and winds over 40mph. Almost 5 inches of rain here since last night monster thunderstorms up to the last hour ago.

It was 81 degrees at 3pm and now it is 43 degrees. Still raining like crazy.

Man the planet is trying its best to throw us all up!

I think good ole earth is sick of us moronic humans!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: This is one nasty east coast storm
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Man the planet is trying its best to throw us all up!

I think good ole earth is sick of us moronic humans!
Glad that someone else brought this up. Moronic is right and the earth can a powerful adversary, better to have as an ally. Here's a great article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times Magazine today. "The Power of Green"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/ma...ne&oref=slogin
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Glad that someone else brought this up. Moronic is right and the earth can a powerful adversary, better to have as an ally. Here's a great article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times Magazine today. "The Power of Green"
He seems to be on point many times, that Friedman guy..

But alas the american who says I need my SUV because my kids play soccer!!!

I need the room...

Yea for your oversized fat american mcDonalds fed arses!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks for a great read Oldbabe. I'm not optimistic about American leadership in much these days. I desperately hope that can change.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #5

Yep, we're getting pounded up here in Boston too. I feel bad for the marathoners, they have a long cold wet run ahead of them.

Dh bought an extra sump pump last week, ours sounded a little tired, figured with 5+ inches of rain on the way we'd better not push our luck. So far we haven't needed it, the old one is going strong but the puddle (pond) in the back yard is growing by the minute. Even the dog didn't want to stay out very long, did his business and ran back in the house.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #6

I was at Home Depot at 7am I should have known that they opened at 6am. As soon as I walked in I saw the huge sign PUMPS ISLE 9. We got 5 inches in the last 24hrs. here in the Hudson Valley with another 1-2 expected today.

Thank God for B-Dry, had that system installed about 10 years ago. Great investment. Our finished basement is bone dry and the high capacity pump is s running like mad. The kid's house is a different story. Their basement is flooded. I'll be pumping it out for the next couple days.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cold ,rainy/snowy here in Pa. Just glad I"m on the inside looking out at this mess and not having to commute anywhere today.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #8

Dh just called, sisters cellar has water (6 houses up from us) he's on his way to help her. A huge rotted pine tree in my ex bil's yard (the house behind us) finally came down but knocked out power to everyone from his house down because it landed smack dab across the road. The electric co will probably have to cut power to everyone on the street to get it taken care of. Wires are down, telephone pole is down, wires are pulled from the to nearest houses. I told dh to fire off the generator to make sure it's working, thankfully dad also has one as a backup. I don't know if I'm glad I'm at work or not, hate to miss the excitement at home but also don't want to listen to dh complain.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here's a great article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times Magazine today. "The Power of Green"
Maybe THIS guy oughta run for President !

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I feel really badly for you folks caught in this monster storm. Hope everyone is safe and undamaged.

I'm constantly reminded that weather and natural catastrophes are everyone's problem, be it earthquakes, hurricanes, brush fires, tornados, whatever.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote