Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Well if you want a super quiet ride, lots of creature comforts, zero maintenance, low operating cost, safer than Volvo and car that is just a joy to drive.. Look no further than Telsamotor.com

Ok I know they are crazy expensive and the company could go bankrupt (but then so did Chrysler and GM, and Toyota is struggling now).

But if you have a few years before you need a new I really think the the $40K Model E will be a game changer.
Couldn't agree more.
While many of our cars served us well, I never was so impressed with a car that I was unable to identify any other car that was as good.

Long term reliability is unknown. Safety is better than any other car out there. And the smoothness and silence is profound.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #22

IMHO- Mid-sized sedans have been the sweet-spot of US market for some time. Best range of features/options for the price, reliable, efficient, and (except for hybrids) common enough to be serviced almost anywhere. My '10 Altima (4cyl SL) has been trouble-free for 4+yrs, rides quiet, handles great, accelerates like 6cyl's of 10 yrs ago, & consistently gives 27+mpg city/suburbs and 33-34 hwy @ 70(+)mph. Camry, Accord, Sonanta, and Fusion are also very good choices. Malibu's are OK too, but not a big fan of recent VW Passat as quality seems to have dropped from prev generation.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #23

Two of my current three wheels are keepers. 95 Jag XJ6 and 99 Suburban 7.4 litre. 98 pickup 4x4 is a winter beater.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #24

We had been doing great with our old LBYMs cars until last year.

The low mileage 1998 Toyota Camry got rear ended last summer while sitting at a stop light. Totaled the car, but luckily DS went unscathed. Crumple zones and airbags are your friend!

And while we still have our 2003 Nissan Murano, it's, well, showing its age and we'd like to replace it this year or next.

So last year we broke the bank (actually, we had been setting aside virtual money aside into a car fund for some time...) and bought a Mercedes E 250.

My son and I are tall, so many similar cars simply lacked the head and leg room we need.

I had three criteria for the car: comfort, safety, and decent mileage.

The comfort was 100% there in the E.

We got all the techie safety add ons - Attention Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Distronic Plus with Steering Assist (cruise control as it should be!), even Adaptive High-Beam assist. Even to an old techie like myself, these systems are pretty impressive. And as I get a "little" older, maybe they'll keep me from ending up in a ditch some day ;-)

We got the new AWD twin-turbo "new tech" diesel I-4 which gets 27/42/32 mpg. Since it has a large fuel tank, on trips we just fill up as we leave in the morning and go all day - it goes 800 miles without a refill. We actually get about 40 mpg cruising the interstates doing 80 and in the low 30's mpg around town. Nice.

After picking it up in Germany (driving a new car all around Europe makes for a really fun trip - and we're retired, we have the time for it) and already driving it to the west coast and Florida, it's proving to be as great a road trip car as we had hoped.

A bit of an indulgence, but very nice after for driving a sensible Toyota Camry for 15 years ;-)

Now we need to decide how to replace the Murano. We need something to haul mulch and such. And the kids are all grown up, so we're thinking something slightly smaller - Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue maybe. Hard to say...

P.S. We did look at the Tesla briefly. Very nice, but we were surprised that it actually lagged in some of the tech we cared about. It just doesn't have all the assist systems that Mercedes offers.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really happy with my '13 Camry. It has a quieter ride than the DW's '05 Prius, plus a big trunk, and still gets 33 mpg. It has plenty of power for passing. In fact, I have to use the cruise control or I would be doing 80 on the way to work.

The sound system isn't the top of the line one they offer, but it is still very good quality. I use my mp3 player with it quite a bit. And if I ever get roped into owning a smart phone, it has blue tooth connectivity, too. I like that all the controls, {not just sound, but ac, etc..} are on the steering wheel.

Larro
Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

2011 Subaru Outback. So far it's been a wonderful car. Handles great in the snow, which we had a chance to try out last night. Maybe even today, if we decided to go out.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

After driving foreign cars for decades I got a Chevy Equinox in 2012 after a freak storm (derecho) dropped a tree on my Mazda. My favorite ride ever.
Quality of GM (and Ford) vehicles has dramatically improved in recent years.
And I love the techno goodies and creature comforts.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #28

> but I don't think they 'make them like that anymore

Actually, I'm sometimes amazed at how high quality most cars are these days.

Engines just run and run and run with just an oil change every 5 or 10K miles. Finishes look almost new after 5 years on the road. Tires? They mostly just wear out, rather than leak and blowout.

We've come so far since the dark days of the 70's...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I drive a 2007 Acura TL Type S that I love. It has about 46K miles on it, so it has a long way to go before I wear it out. It had one maintenance issue, the A/C, that was fixed under warranty, but has otherwise been a gem. The later model Acura TL models I'm not a fan of, but the 2007 looks good, is sporty enough, is very reliable and fun to drive.
+1, I've got a 2005 with 169,000 miles on it as of this morning. Outstandingly reliable, comfortable, good looking (in my opinion), and outside of routine maintenance I have had only one unexpected repair. That repair was uncomplicated and inexpensive.

One quick story about my experience with Acura's warranty. Within weeks of buying our TL my wife had a passenger with a bulky briefcase damage the aluminum trim on the door panel. Dented and scratched, it wasn't anything more than unsightly but I knew it was going to bug me forever, what with a new vehicle and all. We went to the dealer we purchased it from and asked what it would cost to repair. The entire interior door panel would need to be replaced and we were told that it would be covered under warranty. Surprised, as I had expected to pay for it myself, I explained that it seemed beyond the scope of the warranty. The service manager assured me that Acura's warranty was for 100% satisfaction, regardless of the cause. I've been one happy customer ever since.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
...Within weeks of buying our TL my wife had a passenger with a bulky briefcase damage the aluminum trim on the door panel. Dented and scratched, it wasn't anything more than unsightly but I knew it was going to bug me forever, what with a new vehicle and all. We went to the dealer we purchased it from and asked what it would cost to repair. The entire interior door panel would need to be replaced and we were told that it would be covered under warranty. Surprised, as I had expected to pay for it myself, I explained that it seemed beyond the scope of the warranty. The service manager assured me that Acura's warranty was for 100% satisfaction, regardless of the cause. I've been one happy customer ever since.
Sounds like that dealer was outstanding! I'd keep going there too. A great dealer is a HUGE part of customer satisfaction, but a bad dealer can really hurt any automaker's reputation. I've never owned an Acura, but 2 of my friends have and swore off ever owning another after shabby treatment by local dealer.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #31

DS's 2006 Honda Ridgeline, one of the most comfortable, versatile and reliable vehicles I've ever seen, both in town and on the highway. Even after 100K, this vehicle drives like new.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #32

Anyone out there got a Tesla Model S? I would be curious about their experiences. This looks like a great car, not cheap but.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Anyone out there got a Tesla Model S? I would be curious about their experiences. This looks like a great car, not cheap but.
I have one and Zatharas has two I believe, although maybe he has got a 3rd one by now . It is obviously a perfect fit for Oahu where the 130 mile range of my 40 KW (no longer available) is sufficient to drive around the island.

It completely lives up to its hype. I am particularly impressed with the software updates which make the car I own today a better car than when I got it delivered last June.

I am used to driving much smaller cars (15 year in RX-7s, and other 20 in various flavors of Honda), and so I wish it was smaller. If you don't need the room and/or can't justify the cost I'd wait for the ~$40K Model E. But other than that it is a simply remarkable vehicle.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #34

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX crossover that is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I don't know much about the imports anymore, the last import I owned was a 1970 Volvo. In the town I lived there were only two dealers, a Chevy and a Ford. The nearest import dealer was 80 miles away. Any way the Lincoln drives very well, it's quiet and has lots of power, and it's is very comfortable for long trips. The biggest thing for me is the AWD system is simply amazing on snow and ice.