Join Early Retirement Today

"This is such a great car..."
Old 02-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"This is such a great car..."

At some point, I will have to purchase another vehicle but I am dreading it. I love my current vehicle (2002 Volvo S60, DH has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata) but I don't think they 'make them like that anymore' so I don't know that I would purchase a more recent used Volvo (bought mine in 2005 for $16k).

Does anyone have a vehicle that makes them say, "This is such a great car, I wish I could drive it forever!"?

I like some of the creature comforts (and I get them at a reasonable price in a used car), but extraordinary performance is not a requirement. I love a quiet ride.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The last one I recall feeling that way was when I had my 1965 Corvette Stingray roadster. But that's not today. Today, my 2006 VW Jetta diesel almost fits that bill, but it's an individual thing, buying cars.

Most folks here buy Honda's and Toyota's and other similar economy cars, and are not generally "car people".

Sorry I can't be of much help. You need to express your desires in a car (sporty, economical, like big cars, like the new Fiat, prefer automatic transmission, etc). That way you may get some focused responses.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well if you want a super quiet ride, lots of creature comforts, zero maintenance, low operating cost, safer than Volvo and car that is just a joy to drive.. Look no further than Telsamotor.com

Ok I know they are crazy expensive and the company could go bankrupt (but then so did Chrysler and GM, and Toyota is struggling now).

But if you have a few years before you need a new I really think the the $40K Model E will be a game changer.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still quite happy with my 2008 Infiniti G37 coupe, though I do look back fondly on my '92 Honda Prelude. Then I remind myself that it's a 20 something year old car now, with all accompanying problems.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Does anyone have a vehicle that makes them say, "This is such a great car, I wish I could drive it forever!"?
So far we've had a Plymouth, a Ford, a Corvette, a BMW, 4 Hondas, 3 Toyotas, a Nissan, a Volvo, a Mercedes and an Audi - all of them were good cars, none made us and we wouldn't have wanted to drive any of them forever. Oddly in the context of this thread, the Volvo was the worst and the Audi was the best (reliable but outrageous when maintenance required, wouldn't buy another). But my days of being enamored with cars, once strong, ended quite a while ago. I just want safe, reliable, efficient transportation with basic comforts.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The last one I recall feeling that way was when I had my 1965 Corvette Stingray roadster. But that's not today. Today, my 2006 VW Jetta diesel almost fits that bill, but it's an individual thing, buying cars.

Most folks here buy Honda's and Toyota's and other similar economy cars, and are not generally "car people".

Sorry I can't be of much help. You need to express your desires in a car (sporty, economical, like big cars, like the new Fiat, prefer automatic transmission, etc). That way you may get some focused responses.
I've been thinking that a Volkswagon might be a possibility. It would remind me of my Volvo. I think they are more reliable than they used to be. Seems like Volkswagen owners used to have lots of problems.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just want safe, reliable, efficient transportation with basic comforts.
+1 (with maybe a little more than basic comforts)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been thinking that a Volkswagon might be a possibility. It would remind me of my Volvo. I think they are more reliable than they used to be. Seems like Volkswagen owners used to have lots of problems.
They are a good quality car these days and the new Passat is made in the new Tennessee plant. I've had a lot of cars through the years and seem to be settling in on a Euro car for the build quality and driving feel. I would stay away from BMW or Mercedes as the service costs are very high.

There are lots of good choices, but in the end, it's what feels good for you. If you have a chance, take a look at the new Passat.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

I drive a 2007 Acura TL Type S that I love. It has about 46K miles on it, so it has a long way to go before I wear it out. It had one maintenance issue, the A/C, that was fixed under warranty, but has otherwise been a gem. The later model Acura TL models I'm not a fan of, but the 2007 looks good, is sporty enough, is very reliable and fun to drive.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
I felt that way about my motorcycle, a Yamaha Maxim 700. Not what most people would think of as a classic model but as a young man, I felt free and invincible on that bike.

Unfortunately I wasn't and now have arthritis as a result of a spill that turned my knee into hamburger meat, but I had such fun on it!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Our 2004 Honda Accord was a dream at 170k miles. It's reliable, good looking, and bigger on the inside. We drove it from the Atlantic Ocean in Jacksonville, FL straight to the Pacific in Los Angeles, CA, and back, with no troubles.

Unfortunately while it was stopped at a red light recently, a man not paying attention plowed into the back of it and smashed it into the car ahead. The front and back are demolished, but boyfriend who was driving is unscathed. We aren't sure what to do next. It's very hard to pull us away from the Accord. It has just been so ideal for us.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I love both my 04 Pilot and 97 Miata and can't justify replacing them but sometimes I wish they'd give me an excuse to get something new or newer! I also had an 86 Integra like that until I got T-boned.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
Our 2004 Honda Accord was a dream at 170k miles. It's reliable, good looking, and bigger on the inside. We drove it from the Atlantic Ocean in Jacksonville, FL straight to the Pacific in Los Angeles, CA, and back, with no troubles.

Unfortunately while it was stopped at a red light recently, a man not paying attention plowed into the back of it and smashed it into the car ahead. The front and back are demolished, but boyfriend who was driving is unscathed. We aren't sure what to do next. It's very hard to pull us away from the Accord. It has just been so ideal for us.
The possibility of this happening is always in the back of my mind. We have high insurance rates for a reason. This is part of my motivation for having a little bit of an idea of where to go look when the time comes.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I drive a 2007 Acura TL Type S that I love. It has about 46K miles on it, so it has a long way to go before I wear it out. It had one maintenance issue, the A/C, that was fixed under warranty, but has otherwise been a gem. The later model Acura TL models I'm not a fan of, but the 2007 looks good, is sporty enough, is very reliable and fun to drive.
I traded a used 1997 TL (which I loved) for the used Volvo when we moved back to OH (before we moved back to FL). I wanted a car that would be safer in a t-bone accident, the kind of accident that often happens out in the country. Crash worthiness is also a major concern here in FL.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post

Ten years ago My DW had a similar accident with her 2000 Accord, we went out and bought a brand new 2004 accord because it had protected her so well. We recently passed it down to our son, but it was a great car.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I love both my 04 Pilot and 97 Miata and can't justify replacing them but sometimes I wish they'd give me an excuse to get something new or newer! I also had an 86 Integra like that until I got T-boned.
I have a similar setup with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and a 2004 Audi TT. Its a good setup for the mountains. I have been very impressed with the Audi mechanically and I have never had such a comfortable sports car. The Jeep is fun, comfortable, and goes places other vehicles just can't (its a Rubicon). So far no maintenance issues on it either, but I bought it with the assumption there would be more maintenance than on most cars. Had a Honda Odyssey up in the mountains for a summer and the roads tore it up pretty bad.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

As the OP mentioned it, I always consult Consumer Reports for reliability. Some of the "quality" cars cited above have not fared well in CR FWIW...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We found ourselves in the market for a new car as the snow and ice on the steep hilly terrain made our current vehicles pretty useless. We were looking for an all wheel drive car and found the Subaru Crosstrek. We have fallen in love with this little car. We call it el blanco burro for the way it gets up the hills even on snow an ice. The gas mileage is close to 30 in mixed city and highway driving. Can't say that we would have looked at it if the all wheel drive wasn't a 'have to' but we are very pleased we found it. We got a 2013 (the '14s were on the showroom floor and had almost no changes to the '13 model) and they gave us .9% for 60 months.

Good luck, there are many great cars out there.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #19

We are liking the 2014 Honda Accord Sport we just bought, but at only 3 months and 2400 miles it is way too early to know about maintenance issues. CR thinks highly of them and their crash test results are impressive.

If it matters to you I think the speakers for the radio are mediocre at best but those are easily replaced.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

I have a 2001 corvette / 2009 F150 combo that I'm very happy with. The corvette is fun to drive and the f150 is very practical. Goes anywhere, hauls my kayak, bike, wood for projects, etc. the perfect hobby enabler.