This is truly scary.

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bible study , thursday April 19 North Carolina.

Comment..

From a group of ladies, George Bush must know what he is talking about and doing because he is a saved Christian!

Oh Boy.

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are too and they agreed that the 9/11 attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way." So, it must be true.

bssc said:
Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are too and they agreed that the 9/11 attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way." So, it must be true.

My sister in law said that Katrina happened because of the things that happened in New Orleans!!

she is 49 goes to church and really believes this #hiT!
My wife is soooo sick of her!

Just remember, from another thread on this board we learned that conservatives, like the ones you mentioned, think with their heads. Liberals like you think with your hearts, though. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sgeeeee said:
Just remember, from another thread on this board we learned that conservatives, like the ones you mentioned, think with their heads. Liberals like you think with your hearts, though. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Me a liberal? Nah, I am middle of the road, sick of the morons shooting up the schools, I would not take away guns but I sure would re open every last MENTAL hospital in the country and put every last jerk there!

Iraq? $hit we need to have the big dance sooner or later and Iraq was not even in the mix! Iran saudi arabia Pakistan!!

To quote John Prine...

"Blow up your tv,
throw away your papers,
move to the country,
build you a home.

Plant a little garden,
smoke a lot of reefer
eat a lot of peaches,
try and find Jesus,
one your own."

newguy888 said:
Bible study , thursday April 19 North Carolina.

Glad to hear you were attending Bible study newguy888! After the ladies made the comment, what did you say? How did you contribute to the discussion?

newguy888 said:
My sister in law said that Katrina happened because of the things that happened in New Orleans!!
What does someone who thinks like that say when her young child gets cancer, original sin?

What do non-Christians say? People suffer and people die. That's what happens in this world. There is NO RELIGION whose God can be claimed to prevent it, so I'm not sure why this question always comes up when Christianity is discussed. However, Christian parents can at least take comfort in the belief that their child is in a better place, with a loving God who did not initially intend for suffering and death to be part of existence.

As a Christian, I know firsthand that Christians are fallible. I certainly am, so why wouldn't I expect George Bush to be? Being a Christian doesn't necessarily make you a better person, or a better President. You can still go off in the wrong direction - I do it all the time.

Ultimately, though, I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not. I just think it's unfortunate that so many people think reactionary conservatives have the corner on that kind of faith.

I personally don't think it was Bush's Christian faith that got us into this morass in Iraq. I think it was his politics. Not necessarily the same thing at all, even though some will claim it is.

sgeeeee said:

Since you brought it up. I didn't make a value judgement on the statement, so here it is. Many of you believe I feel thinking with your heart is a bad thing. On the contrary I believe it is good that the respective sides tend to think like this. Without thinking with the heart, many times progress would halt. It was the heart that wanted to go to the moon not the head. It is the heart that felt for the oppressed workers in the late 1800's and early 1900's that brought about many labor laws improving the working environment for most people in America.

If one allows the heart to have too much control then we find ourselves in the mess of no limits, which is essentially anarchy. This can be seen by those who live above their means. Many think they deserve to have things when they can't afford them, so they live on credit. Simple psychology shows that people will do as little as possible to recieve a reward. If the government is willing to give me money to sit on my butt and have babies, why should I work to earn the small paycheck I would recieve from a minimum wage job? This is where the coneservative "think with the head" is useful.

LKH said:
Ultimately, though, I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not. I just think it's unfortunate that so many people think reactionary conservatives have the corner on that kind of faith.

I personally don't think it was Bush's Christian faith that got us into this morass in Iraq. I think it was his politics. Not necessarily the same thing at all, even though some will claim it is.

I would rather have a president who isn't superstitious and makes decisions based on reality instead of mythology.

I think it was Churchill who said that if a person wasn't liberal at 20, he had no heart, and if he wasn't conservative by 50, he had no brain. LOL.

My question is, do we really want to live in a world where Donald Trump can brag that he takes in $28k a MINUTE, when young parents who work two full-time jobs can't make that in a YEAR? Does anything else think that something's wrong with that picture?

Non sequitur said:
I would rather have a president who isn't superstitious and makes decisions based on reality instead of mythology.

You'd have a tough time convincing me there is no God, hon. Might as well try to persuade me my mother doesn't exist. ;)

There is definitely something wrong with Donald Trump's picture!!

(I think it's his hair...)

:p

LKH said:
You'd have a tough time convincing me there is no God, hon. Might as well try to persuade me my mother doesn't exist. ;)

And that's the whole point. I don't care what you believe and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

LKH said:
My question is, do we really want to live in a world where Donald Trump can brag that he takes in $28k a MINUTE, when young parents who work two full-time jobs can't make that in a YEAR? Does anything else think that something's wrong with that picture?

my question is what is wrong with the parents. That wage is only 6.73 per hour for each. That is too close to minimum wage for the parents to have tried to move ahead. You can go to work at McD's or Wendy's for more than that. To answer your question yes I do want to live in a world like that. The reason is it means there is opportunity to succeed. The Donald was well off to start, but he made the billions it wasn't given to him.

LKH said:
I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not.

how can you follow what you can not see?

donheff said:
What does someone who thinks like that say when her young child gets cancer, original sin?

Rosie O'Donnell says that lying causes cancer. She on Tv so she has to be right.

Non sequitur said:
And that's the whole point. I don't care what you believe and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

If you don't care, then why the "zing" toward Christians? "Superstitious" isn't exactly a compliment, after all.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
how can you follow what you can not see?

Good question. But people do it all the time, Christian or not. They follow their conscience, they follow their heart, etc. Some folks pray and hope for guidance from someone outside themselves. And some folks think they have that when they don't. Been there, done that, so won't judge someone else who fouls up. ;)

precisely, and therein lies the danger. for the heart is fallible but god is not. and your god might not be my god. so if you follow your god into battle and i follow mine, we will not know our hearts. we will only spill our blood.

I have NO IDEA where this thread's going....... :confused: :confused: :confused: Some folks on here (like me) are Christians, but that doesn't mean we are warmongering blind followers................. :p :p :p

lets-retire said:
my question is what is wrong with the parents. That wage is only 6.73 per hour for each. That is too close to minimum wage for the parents to have tried to move ahead. You can go to work at McD's or Wendy's for more than that. To answer your question yes I do want to live in a world like that. The reason is it means there is opportunity to succeed. The Donald was well off to start, but he made the billions it wasn't given to him.

Not everyone has the same advantages, and not everyone has the ability to "pull himself up by the bootstraps." Those opportunities you speak of are not there for people who are limited in any way, even through no fault of their own. For example, people who are "a bit slow" are often lucky to get those minimum wage jobs. Oh, and at $7 an hour, 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, one would only gross $14,000, so two of those jobs would gross $28k. After FICA, etc. not much would go home with that person. I have a friend, mother in a family of five, husband's a rancher, and they tried to get by on $25k a year. That was several years ago, but it wasn't that much easier then. And yes, she did try birth control. She's not sorry it didn't work.

FinanceDude said:
I have NO IDEA where this thread's going....... :confused: :confused: :confused: Some folks on here (like me) are Christians, but that doesn't mean we are warmongering blind followers................. :p :p :p

Amen to that. That's the point I was trying to make. I won't join the Bush-bashing party, though. I have no idea what it must be like to try to do his job, to have that trust to try to keep a nation safe. I'm sure he's doing what he truly believes is best, and if I disagree, I can do that without hating on the guy. I didn't buy 100% into everything Clinton did either, and I got really frustrated with the Christians and Republicans who hated on him back then, too.

LKH said:
Not everyone has the same advantages, and not everyone has the ability to "pull himself up by the bootstraps." Those opportunities you speak of are not there for people who are limited in any way, even through no fault of their own. For example, people who are "a bit slow" are often lucky to get those minimum wage jobs. Oh, and at $7 an hour, 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, one would only gross $14,000, so two of those jobs would gross $28k. After FICA, etc. not much would go home with that person. I have a friend, mother in a family of five, husband's a rancher, and they tried to get by on $25k a year. That was several years ago, but it wasn't that much easier then. And yes, she did try birth control. She's not sorry it didn't work.

I do agree that those a bit slow are lucky to get above minimum wage, but we are not talking the odd situation we are talking about the norm. When talking about society as a whole the norm must be the standard. I believe most people do have the ability to pull themselves up, if left alone and allowed to do it. If I did not believe this then I would wholeheartedly say let's abandon capitalism and switch to communism. If I need reassurance I just look at some of the people on this site, who started with little and worked their butts off to retire early or be on track to retire early. If the government had their way these people would still be working and contributing to the public funds. 7*(2080*2)=29120, if you don't believe me use a calculator. So is the problem that the poor are paying their taxes or is it that they are not advancing enough. You know several years ago I was able to live nicely on 10,000 per year, but that means nothing when it is not adjusted for inflation. Family of five is a tough situation, but is it society's fault that your friend kept having children?

Back
Top Bottom