This isn't goodbye

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
But I will be (and already have been) participated significantly less on the board. My work has ramped up and my Masters is in full swing, and I just can't keep up here with all the posts! ;)

Seriously, I've learned so much from you all, it's been great. I'll probably post every couple of weeks to say hi, check my PMs etc., but if you've posted a question on a thread to me, don't take it personal if I miss it and don't respond! I will miss hanging out with you guys, Brewer, Wab, Cube Rat, Dreamer, the Moderator Thugs gang, Dory etc. You don't know how many laughs in our household have revolved around DW saying things like, "Wait, who's Marshac, Wildcat and REW?".

But with at least 15 years to retirement, work in my face, schoolwork piled high and Tori growing up before my eyes (2 years old in a week!) I have to be judicious. I can say without a doubt this board's knowledge shaved at least 5 years off my retirement date, and there is no greater gift someone can give than more time. Thank you.

p.s. Nords, I still plan on hooking up with you again next time I'm in Hawaii!

Good to keep your priorities straight.

Still, don't be a stranger, Laurence.

Although we will (and already do) miss photos of Tori your contributions around here, I can understand your need to concentrate on other aspects of your life. Truth is, if I had found this board at your age I would probably looked at ER from the wrong direction (“Ill never get there!”) and been even more worthless as an employee. Glad to see you don’t suffer from that same lack of resolve.

Go slay some dragons but don’t forget to stay in touch.

Always refreshing not to get the "you wont have me to kick around anymore" goodbye post ;)......good luck with more school...you are a much better person than me to being doing it :p

Good luck Laurance. You have been a very pleasant addition to this board!

Ha

Laurence said:
p.s. Nords, I still plan on hooking up with you again next time I'm in Hawaii!
Every time-- e komo mai! Your thesis will require a detailed personal survey of computing initiatives at local beaches. Throw Tori in a lifejacket, put her on the nose of your 11-foot longboard, and you'll have her hanging 10 in no time.

I'm pretty confident your degree will invoke two rules:
- Never let school stand in the way of getting an education, and
- Never let research stand in the way of writing a thesis...

And your employer better give your efforts the financial respect that you're working so hard for!

I wish you and your family the very best. Good luck with the Masters. Get it out of the way while you're still young.

Hey, don't forget about us next time you're in town. We'll hit a better a restaurant, I promise. ;)

Good luck with the work load--some day you'll look back with self-admiration at what you accomplished during this time. Thank goodness your wife can keep the home-fires burning and Tori smiling--I'm sure you'll appreciate them both even more than you already do.

I will miss your posts--you give Gen X a good name! Don't be a stranger--and don't forget to update your picture of Tori whenever you come 'round :)

Good luck Laurence, much better to be watching Tori grow up than sitting in front of the computer.

Laurence: Enjoyed reading your posts. Best of everything to you and your family. Looking forward to your future posts - when you have the time.

Toejam

Laurence,

You've got the right priorities, but do check on us occassionally.
Unsolicited advice on your thesis topic: either pick a topic that is directly applicable to some line of work you'll want to do ( :-[) or pick a wild, esoteric topic that virtually nobody is an expert in. :D. The second option is a lot of fun and you'll have no trouble defending your thesis when the time comes, because only you and your thesis advisor are likely to know anything about the subject.

Thanks for your helpful contributions here.

Ditto

heh heh heh - don't forget to check in once in a while.

I'll miss your contributions and the photos of Tori - hope you drop in once in a while. And best of luck with your Masters!

Laurence,
Best wishes to you and your family. Check in if you can, especially with those photos.

Laurence,

I am so glad that this is not goodbye. I have always enjoyed your posts. You are intelligent and have a great way of looking at all sides of an issue. I love how you are with your family. You definitely have your priorities right! Please do post an ocassional picture of Tori! She is growing up so quickly. Good luck with everything!

Dreamer

Laurence,

Taking a break from the board at your stage of life would be a healthy thing. Reading the posts here everyday and dreaming of ER can make one depressed when their ER time-horizon is many years away. One has to live for today while planning and executing for tomorrow, next week, next year and for the rest of your life.

Good luck to you and your family. You will be missed but not forgotten. Keep the faith and keep your sights on the finish line....just don't forget what the race is all about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom