Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #1981
Moderator Emeritus

We also have some awesome drifts, spent three hours shoveling out the narrow driveway, did a neighbor's, etc.

Someone on TV reminded people to check their chimney thingies/exhaust vents that go through the side of the house instead of the roof to be sure they're not blocked. Ours are clear but I wouldn't have even though to look.

TV headlines say BLIZZARD 2011 which looks just like BUZZARD 2011 to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #1982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Picture says it all as they say. There are drifts up to 8 feet in places, our house just shows the basic snowfall, at least it seems to have stopped. We got somewhere in the 16-20" range, Chicago itself got even more. Now the temp is expected to drop to -4°F tonight. Guess summer is over...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0039.JPG (800.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0038.JPG (837.0 KB, 4 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #1983
Give me a forum ...

An interesting article in Slate, Snow Shovels of Death. Roughly 1200 people die each year from heart attacks induced by shoveling snow- about 3x the average number of soldiers who've died in combat in the last decade.

The conclusion made a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Here, then, is what I recommend. Wait till someone younger or poorer than you knocks on your door and offers to shovel your walk for $20 or $30. This person probably needs the money—nobody would volunteer for such dreadful work if he didn't—and assuming he's no older than 40 and doesn't smoke, his constitution can probably handle the strain. Delegate. The economy will benefit and your cardiologist will thank you.
Of course as somebody who has shovel snow no more than 5 times in his life what do I know .
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #1984
Full time employment: Posting here.

4 Hours to move snow. I got this stuck. It has a front mount blade. Those back tires are nearly six feet tall. I was not happy,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006.09.14.jpg (368.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #1985
Give me a forum ...

We had snow yesterday, a little smidgie of sleet this AM, and are getting the thick snow bands now. I live right near the "u" in Syracuse on the map here
Northeast Radar Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Par for the course for us chickens
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #1986
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Ask freebird wednesday morning if being east of me is good
We actually did not the predicted snow today (Wed), but the day is young yet.
I posted a link already to show what we are getting near the "u".

Winds have whipped up enough for Mr B and I to stay home and get cabin fever.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #1987
Give me a forum ...

Having a heck of a time getting the chlorine levels right in the pool and a number of weeds are sprouting. Did get down to 38 last night, but it warmed back up adequately today. Golfers in their hundreds are out whacking balls about - the Bob Hope classic was held about 12 blocks from here last week. What's the attraction of the midwest and east coast areas again?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #1988
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
... What's the attraction of the midwest and east coast areas again?
Um...it's where I was born and raised and live (Northeast).

I know it is difficult to understand why people stay here, but if you looked at the recent storm that traversed the country, very few places were left unscathed. I looked at snow in a whole new light...it was not ICE.

Mr B and I plan to leave upstate NY to go to NH so he can be near his Mom in her later years. Beyond that, who knows where we will end up?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #1989
Give me a forum ...

In the case of power loss, I think it would be nice for RV owners to plug their home into their motor home generator. Have any of you had to do that?

Quote:
Having a heck of a time getting the chlorine levels right in the pool and a number of weeds are sprouting.
If shocking with more chlorine does not kill the algae, you may want to check the phosphate level. I had a tough time in the past, and it turned out that the phosphate from pigeon droppings was an excellent fertilizer for algae. There are phosphate removers one can buy to add to the pool water.

Quote:
What's the attraction of the midwest and east coast areas again?
Well, somebody has to live there. Not all of us are suited to the "dry heat", or able to fight with scorpions, fire ants, or have immunity to Ebola virus.

Hmm... Where that last peril comes from? Someone said it was there in Texas, wasn't it?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #1990
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In the case of power loss, I think it would be nice for RV owners to plug their home into their motor home generator. Have any of you had to do that?
Done it when I had a MOHO w/gen set. Of course I also installed a disconnect between panel and meter. Not good to zap utility workers trying to restore power.

Also good thing to kill some CB's so no verload on the gen set, by something unexpected device powering on.

Also done back feed through an outside outlet using a suicide cord. - better know what you are doing if going this route.

There is a reason the required cable is called a suicide cord.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #1991
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the attraction of the midwest and east coast areas again?
Won't have to work near as long to afford living here (we're probably moving BTW) and the folks that make fun of us in winter, are mostly paid back by having their brains baked out all summer. SoCal is an exception in terms of moderate temps, but who can afford that and the CA outlook is? YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #1992
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just read that 15,585 flights have been canceled this week across the US.

The weather truly is awful!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1993
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Done it when I had a MOHO w/gen set. Of course I also installed a disconnect between panel and meter. Not good to zap utility workers trying to restore power.

Also done back feed through an outside outlet using a suicide cord. - better know what you are doing if going this route.

There is a reason the required cable is called a suicide cord.
Ah, without the switch-over your genset would not have the power to drive the grid of the entire block anyway. And the suicide cord is just evil, pure evil. I can never see myself doing it. It's just so wrong. I would take the time to wire it into the panel.

Anyhoo, I am kind of itching to get a chance to "enjoy" the luxurious power of my motor home gen set, but there is little risk of power loss here in the metropolitan area. Up in my boonies home maybe, but why would I want to be up there now?

So, I don't know when I can put on my survivalist's hat. Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Up in my boonies home maybe, but why would I want to be up there now?

So, I don't know when I can put on my survivalist's hat. Heh heh heh...
Something about little traffic and peace and quiet. Contemplating belly button and lint sculptures.
Unless accompanied by e few rug-rats.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #1995
Give me a forum ...

Well, for those who missed all the fun of this Mid-West snow storm, DW took some pics that I'll share. Good thing for me is this will be followed by some cold weather (yep, you heard me right), so I should be able to get in some XC skiing before it turns to slush.

Everything closed down, so since no one had anywhere to go, it is really no stress at all. Streets weren't plowed until this afternoon (might as well wait for it to stop), and our plow service was out soon after. We had some cleanup to do, they just couldn't get into the corners and one car in the drive in the way didn't help. School closed a second day (I don't know why, things look clear now), so another day of fun for the kids.

First pic is out the garage window - that's a car under that snow.

2nd is that car out the front door, you can see the snow over the sidewalk, but can't tell the depth with all that white.

3rd pic is my 5' 7" helper for some reference, after we cleared a path in that sidewalk.

4th we decided to dig a tunnel rather than clear the whole sidewalk. Any Census takers are gonna have to climb through that tunnel to ring my doorbell And that's me making a 'dex-like' appearance

5th pic is my helper 'wading' out in the snow a ways down the driveway.

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1430.JPG (75.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1438.JPG (98.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1440.JPG (109.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1446.JPG (120.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1483.JPG (119.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #1996
Give me a forum ...

Holy shizzz...I'll never complain about our snow again!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #1997
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Holy shizzz...I'll never complain about our snow again!
And the 'best' part is - this did not even break the records set in 1967 in Chicago-land. So we can still 'impress' our kids, in our best 'old codger voice', and say " snow! this ain't nothing but a little dustin' - we lived through the big one, yep the BIG ONE in 1967 - now THAT was a snow storm...."

I remember the drifts in 1967 reached the overhangs of houses. Kids were literally sledding from the rooftops of garages right down to those drifts reaching the roofs.

-ERD50
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #1998
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I remember the drifts in 1967 reached the overhangs of houses. Kids were literally sledding from the rooftops of garages right down to those drifts reaching the roofs.

-ERD50
Mmm...hmmm...yep, those 60's sure were somethin' huh?

(jk)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #1999
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And the 'best' part is - this did not even break the records set in 1967 in Chicago-land. So we can still 'impress' our kids, in our best 'old codger voice', and say " snow! this ain't nothing but a little dustin' - we lived through the big one, yep the BIG ONE in 1967 - now THAT was a snow storm...."

-ERD50
I was watching WGN on cable for a bit and was thinking that even with all the hype it wouldn't hold a candle to the January 1967 storm. IIRC, it started to snow around 1 PM on a Thursday. Friday morning, I woke up, total silence. Not a sound. Nothing was moving. And the snow was absorbing sound. No plow went by for three days. Most of the houses in my neighborhood had raised front entries, so you were able to push open the door and push the snow off the top step to be able to get out. Back doors at ground-level that were reached by inside stairways couldn't be used. Open the back door, see the side of a drift, close door. Now THAT was a snowfall! And yes, garage roofs and the tops of drifts were one, could not tell where one ended and the other started.

The winter of 1978-79 had way more snow total, but it was spread out over November to March, just kept coming and coming.

I still have my winter driving skills, having grown up with them and tested them out driving home from work late night when no one was on the road. Play time! But if I got myself stuck, I would have to get myself out, so, didn't get stuck! It was a good training ground.
Around here, it's scary. No winter driving skills. Even a puddle can do someone in... of course, they hit an obvious puddle of unknown depth at high speed, never slow down!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #2000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
Wow all this lovely white stuff, plus the best government that money can buy, a quarterback who plays through pain, an ocean of red ink, and you Land of Lincoln folks want to point out that weather could be even worse.

Did I miss any other charms of Chicago and Illinois?
Closed Thread