Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #2041
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well looks like Houston got another ice storm this early AM so I would think no classes. Yep, canceling for a snow flurry is silly, but ice? That stuff is awful.
Yep, Rice canceled classes for today. Much of that was because the Houston school system canceled their classes so lots of workers had kids at home on a Friday. But there are rumors that black ice has caused over 200 traffic accidents, and the city is just trying to keep everyone off the streets. I notice that Leo & Htown Harry haven't been posting much this week.

But it's good that today's a "no class" day. For reasons of her own, our daughter decided to tackle 22 credit hours this semester and I suspect that she has some catch-up homework & studying to take care of.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #2042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just don't get it, we just had a serious blizzard in Chicago, the temp is 8 degrees right now and one of my neighbors is replacing his front double door entry. He has this gaping hole and I'm sure he'll be heating the outdoors for at least another 3-4 hours. I'm not sure why he couldn't wait another month or two or even summer when it'd be a lot warmer than today.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #2043
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I talked to my daddy last night and told him our forecast called for snow...less than an inch. I told him that probably meant at least 4 inches. Well...that's what we got plus a bit more. Five inches of snow on top of two inches of ice.

DH had an appt with the oncology doc this morning at 10. Once again the appt had to be rescheduled because of the weather. ...sigh..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #2044
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I notice that Leo & Htown Harry haven't been posting much this week.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Leonidas on here in a while.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2045
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I just don't get it, we just had a serious blizzard in Chicago, the temp is 8 degrees right now and one of my neighbors is replacing his front double door entry. He has this gaping hole and I'm sure he'll be heating the outdoors for at least another 3-4 hours. I'm not sure why he couldn't wait another month or two or even summer when it'd be a lot warmer than today.
That's hilarious! I know why - because he had the day off!!!

Audrey
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #2046
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is your neighbor married? If so, I think I know how something like this might happen . . . Not from personal experience, of course.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #2047

Has to be married.

Don't know any single guy who actually give a hoot about the looks of the front door. When I was single, the only requirement was that it close. Once DW showed up, the front door got replaced pronto. I did veto the winter changeout.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #2048

Friday afternoon at 42 degrees it was warmer here than in Dallas; tonight's forecast is a bit different:
* HAZARDOUS WIND CHILLS EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING.
* WIND CHILL VALUES OF 25 TO 35 BELOW CAN BE EXPECTED.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Is your neighbor married? If so, I think I know how something like this might happen . . . Not from personal experience, of course.
Yes, he's married w/2 teen kids and a dog. This really shocked me, he put in 2 disrupted and a 6 panel wood (or wood looking) colored door. Thought it looked nice. Then, I see it the next day, and he had it completely covered in a white aluminum storm door w/sidelites encased in white too! Is it me or is it common to clash the colors like this? I would've gone w/almost all glass or brown colored aluminum. The storm door is made of very wide white borders that just ruins to front door view now!

I forgot to add, it was 20 degrees and they touching up the white paint outdoors too!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #2050
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, he's married w/2 teen kids and a dog. This really shocked me, he put in 2 disrupted and a 6 panel wood (or wood looking) colored door. Thought it looked nice. Then, I see it the next day, and he had it completely covered in a white aluminum storm door w/sidelites encased in white too! Is it me or is it common to clash the colors like this? I would've gone w/almost all glass or brown colored aluminum. The storm door is made of very wide white borders that just ruins to front door view now!
Yep, I agree with your choice of storm door colors. Actually, I'm not a big fan of storm doors--they seem to always be in the way, they don't offer much of an energy advantage if he real door is a modern, well-insulated one with good seals, and they cost money. If I had a wood door that needed protecting from the wet AND if the sunlight didn't hit the door causing it to overheat behind the storm door, I'd consider one.

He might have selected the AL storm door due to the dog noseprint issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #2051
Recycles dryer sheets

The older I get, the more this winter weather wears on me. I have a serious case of cabin fever right now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #2052
Give me a forum ...

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. South wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

A high of 34 is a heat wave compared to the last few weeks.
Less than 1 inch of snow is a godsend.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #2053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .
The weather in Florida was beautiful!! I so hated coming back last night.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #2054
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
A high of 34 .........
Your icicles must be just about to the ground by now.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #2055
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Your icicles must be just about to the ground by now.
Nope, I have my trusty 8 foot length of 1" PVC pipe to knock them down from the side. I use small snowballs to get the icicles I can't do safely with the PVC pipe.
My aim gets better every year.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #2056
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. South wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

A high of 34 is a heat wave compared to the last few weeks.
Less than 1 inch of snow is a godsend.
Hey day 6 and 7 of the seven day Forecast at Environment Canada are calling for +4 and +5 C Accuweather has 1 and 2 C for the same days but higher for days 7 and 8. There is hope. Now wait for them to change it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #2057

I'm waiting for the well guy. 48 hours under 18F and the whole pump house blew up. The well motor is working, but the pump(12 YO) ran without moving water for maybe 6-12 hours. Finished up the PVC piping in the pump house, yesterday when it was in the high 60's. Have a 300 gal drinking water tank, to hold us over until the pump gets fixed.

All my California sages are black and mushy, but maybe the roots will survive.

Haven't seen a Hummingbird since Friday.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #2058
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
48 hours under 18F and the whole pump house blew up.
Ouch. No water = not good.

We had 60+ hours with temps between 16 and 27. A pipe from our well to the storage tank froze but the insulation and a little heat in the pump house kept all the other piping and pressure pump flowing. I got the frozen pipe thawed with no damage so we not only dodged a bullet, we were never without water.

I've added more insulation around the area where the pipe froze - hope I can avoid a repeat next time.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #2059

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ouch. No water = not good.

We had 60+ hours with temps between 16 and 27. A pipe from our well to the storage tank froze but the insulation and a little heat in the pump house kept all the other piping and pressure pump flowing. I got the frozen pipe thawed with no damage so we not only dodged a bullet, we were never without water.

I've added more insulation around the area where the pipe froze - hope I can avoid a repeat next time.

My pump house is insulated. We have been down to 14 with only outside faucets freezing. Like most of S Arizona are water pipes are not buried very deep.

Already 55 @8AM, but 30 mph winds, looks like they are going your way.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2060
Give me a forum ...

Currently have 104F here in Northern Illinois.

Well, that's the surface temperature of the outside of the gray solid colored stained cement siding on the south side wall of my house. Measured with my infra-red sensor. Outside temps 14F, almost no wind. That keeps it about 50F in my unheated, but reasonably well insulated 3-season room (one wall common with the house).

Kept the heat off all night, and only had it on for an hour or this AM. Still ~ 61F in the house. I'll turn it up before I take a shower, that helps disperse the humidity, then probably keep it off until dinner time. The snow reflects a lot of solar energy on the house.

If only there was some cost effective way to capture that heat on the south facing walls and route it inside. I'd certainly consider an envelope style design if I were doing new construction in this area. I bet I could cut my heating bills to a third what they are, but that's still requires a low cost to get a decent payback.

-ERD50