Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #2101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Over a foot of snow today. I'm ready for spring!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #2102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Over a foot of snow today. I'm ready for spring!!
Yea, we got blasted in SE MI, too. Initial prediction was a few inches - over 10 on the ground now and more predicted today.

If only I had lived a good former life I could be basking in sunshine now in California or Hawaii, rather than doomed to the hellish winters of the Rustbelt.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #2103

It was in the mid-70s yesterday with 30mph winds. It just so happened yesterday was the day to plant carrot seeds. Wind and carrot seeds are not compatible!

According to the South Central U.S. Long Range Weather Forecast | Farmers' Almanac, we're supposed to get slammed with a late winter storm in March.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #2104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It was 80 here yesterday. If I listened carefully I could hear the chiggers hatching...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #2105

I lucked out seems like about six inches if it were averaged out. Seems to be in big piles on my sidewalk and in front of the barn. Time for the winter wonderland to end, One week till March and I usually have to mow lawn before the end of April. Radio is playing is playing Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini just to spite me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #2106
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
About 6AM got very windy and temperature dropped from 50F to 37F in about an hour. Ever since: dark and rainy.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #2107
Give me a forum ...

We got about 7 inches of snow overnight. The sun is out today . Temp = 24F with slight wind.

The storm to the south and west of us looks nasty.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #2108

Blowing snow all day so far. Light lake effect of Lake Ontario that is not showing on radar but had added an inch or so to the overnight. No sense moving snow till the wind drops or all the snow is in piles. Two foot drift on the sidewalk now is the worst.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #2109
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, okay, okay, here's one:

We've had a front sloshing through the islands that's stalled the tradewinds for about a week. The humidity has been impressive but it's finally started breaking up as the rains move through.

Then the lightning started-- and blew a hole in a church roof. A couple of boaters even reported their craft being disabled by a lightning strike.

But what really catches your attention around here is... hail. It's not unheard of, but it happens.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b..._on_Oahu.html#

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #2110
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's unusual weather for Oahu, Nords!

Here, highs in the 80's are predicted again and it is humid, of course. The weather is predicted to stay about the same, with highs in the 70's or low 80's, for the foreseeable future. I don't mind, though - - I love the rainy, hot, humid weather here with the small exception of August and September which are so extreme. Right now my AC is switched on for the summer. We haven't been having much rain (considering our rainy climate, just some drizzles now and then).

Hope the good weather continues through Mardi Gras, on March 8th. In the past, sometimes there has been bad storms with torrential rain and wind for the parades. One time when F. was younger, he was riding in the Bacchus parade and a windstorm arose that was so bad that a float was blown clear off an overpass, landing far below and killing at least one rider. What a tragedy. So we always hope for no severe freak storms at this time of year.

The next big parade going by his house is tomorrow night, and after that there will be almost nightly parades and many daily on weekends as well. The parade stands line our major streets by now. This is a great place to be retired, instead of working. Traffic is often completely impossible due to parades, but still working folks have to get to work on time - - a stressful conflict. But we retired folks just take it easy and don't worry about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #2111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A balmy 5 degrees here now.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #2112
Give me a forum ...

29 F and snowing. Great! After 30 years in New Orleans and 5 up here - not tired of snow yet.

Of course being in ER and not having to drive in it makes a huge difference.

heh heh heh - pantry and frig. are well stocked.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #2113
Give me a forum ...

On the freeway today, I saw some motorhomes heading up north. It's still only 63F high, 47F low here. Wondered why they were leaving so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
29 F and snowing. Great! After 30 years in New Orleans and 5 up here - not tired of snow yet.

Of course being in ER and not having to drive in it makes a huge difference.

heh heh heh - pantry and frig. are well stocked.
Long time no post there, UncleMick!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #2114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

87 today. Expected to be cooler tomorrow with a high only in the upper 70's.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #2115

Ok why am I in the most intense snowstorm of the winter? Visibility is about 150 feet, winds are 50 gusting to 70km/h. The St Bernard is hiding in the barn. The good news is the forecast has reduced the accumulation to only 15cm.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #2116
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday's high (83F) broke the record. The cold front swept through during the night, with a little rain, but by 7:30 AM it was already 68 with more highs in the 80's predicted.

Still, the TV meteorologists are reluctant to tell us that winter is over.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #2117
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
6AM EST: snow, lightning, thunder
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #2118

Time to clear the driveway again.
Getting older makes it tricky, but still possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walkerplow.jpg (42.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #2119
Give me a forum ...

The heaviest snowfall and wind gusts have gone by us, now it's just good ol' minor lake effect and moderate winds. Watertown NY was getting snowfall rates of 1-2 inches per hour.
We were scheduled to drive to MA today, but we wisely chose to delay the trip until the weather calms down. Just playing it by ear...
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #2120
Moderator Emeritus

Chicago needs 0.6 inches of snow to beat the February record of 27.8 inches set in 1896. Could do it today.
Closed Thread