Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #2221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, here it is. Not terribly funny, but it's a taste of our local news.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #2222
Full time employment: Posting here.

80 degrees (will hit 90), 80% humidity. Down almost 5 lbs so far in sweat (doing my best to keep up with liquids, but man oh man). I never had it so good.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #2223
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, here it is. Not terribly funny, but it's a taste of our local news.

LOVE the "unique" spelling.

Sure is cold out there! Here it is 88 already at 12:30 PM, and we are expecting a high around 90. Sunny, probably no rain; nothing to complain about. I'm off to the gym.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #2224
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Actually supposed to have several days without rain, but predictions for temps in 90sF. Might have to turn on A/C tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #2225

Yehaa! Summer is here, finally!

Highs low 90's yesterday and today. I can finally shed the thermals and wear short sleeves.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #2226
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm still visiting with relatives in NY. Today's low here is predicted to be 66 degrees—same as the forecast for today's high back in Seattle
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2227

106 again today. And of course, bone-dry. We're about to go to "stage 4" water restrictions on Monday, the river that provides water for our city has stopped flowing, and we're thinking about a summer escape plan where we can take the critters and where I can continue to work through the summer in a place that's cooler.... and has water.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
106 again today. And of course, bone-dry. We're about to go to "stage 4" water restrictions on Monday, the river that provides water for our city has stopped flowing, and we're thinking about a summer escape plan where we can take the critters and where I can continue to work through the summer in a place that's cooler.... and has water.
There's got to be a way to take the water from the people who are being flooded and give it to the people who are bone dry.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #2229
Give me a forum ...

We got out of La Quinta just about the right time - heard it was 89 degrees F there a week ago. At 11PM. Can't handle that - we aren't big on AC at night, more open doors and windows. Back in Oregon now under grey skies, but lovely cool nights for sleeping. Recent news story:

"Summer officially starts Tuesday morning at 10:16 a.m., but we'll be talking about the spring of 2011 for years to come -- or at least until we get more than the one 80-degree day we've had so far this year.
What started out as a moderate La Niña last fall, turned extreme in the winter and then hung on through spring. Out of 117 years of record keeping, Oregon's spring ranked 116th, which means only one year in all that time was wetter, according to statistics gathered by the National Climatic Data Center. Below average temperatures also made it the fifth coolest spring in Oregon on record".

Looks like we got lucky on our timing for buying a snow bird house!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #2230
Administrator

Quote:
THIS was my least favorite part of living in Texas. At least in New Orleans we get rain once in a while.

We have been having record heat, too, but only in the upper 90's and everything is pretty green. Like my neighbors, I haven't ever watered my lawn in the nine years I have lived in this house. It will get a little dry looking at times like this (see photo below), but more green than brown and in a few weeks it will spring back when we get heavy rains.

Supposedly we are having a drought too, but nothing like what Texas is experiencing. It's all relative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lawn.jpg (22.7 KB, 52 views)

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
THIS was my least favorite part of living in Texas. At least in New Orleans we get rain once in a while.

We have been having record heat, too, but only in the upper 90's and everything is pretty green. Like my neighbors, I haven't ever watered my lawn. It will get a little dry looking at times like this, but more green than brown and in a few weeks it will spring back when we get heavy rains.
Seriously, if we didn't have the critters, I'd probably be talking to my mom about spending a couple months with her in Oregon to get away from this. It's turning into Hell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #2232
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seriously, if we didn't have the critters, I'd probably be talking to my mom about spending a couple months with her in Oregon to get away from this. It's turning into Hell.
We've already made reservations for the mountains of New Mexico. Unfortunately we can't leave until after July 4 - assuming we haven't burned to a crisp before then.

What we need is a tropical depression to form in the Gulf, move up here and dump on us. That happened just about this time last year...and was the last time we really had some decent rain.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #2233
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We've already made reservations for the mountains of New Mexico. Unfortunately we can't leave until after July 4 - assuming we haven't burned to a crisp before then.

What we need is a tropical depression to form in the Gulf, move up here and dump on us. That happened just about this time last year...and was the last time we really had some decent rain.
I could be mistaken but I think last year you were burning to a crisp with temperatures over 100 for most of June and the beginning of July, if my recollection is correct. It was a long time, anyway. As long as we're wishing, how about a subtropical storm? I seem to have an odd aversion to tropical storms and hurricanes, especially if it should head in my direction...

The mountains of New Mexico sound nice and cool.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I could be mistaken but I think last year you were burning to a crisp with temperatures over 100 for most of June and the beginning of July, if my recollection is correct.
Last year we had a wet spring, so we had water. Now, the rainfall we've had in the last 12 months is about 25% of normal, so...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #2235
Give me a forum ...

I think it's been 28 days since we've had rain.. At the time of this writing it's 94 degrees. There's a slight chance of rain and cooler temps on Tuesday. We'll see..
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #2236
Give me a forum ...

The last couple of weeks the temps have been in the high 90's. Only one afternoon did we get a little shower. Next week looks better. After Monday, most days in the low 90's with a chance of afternoon showers. We need some rain bad. All the yards are brown. Might be too late.

WTOK I Weather
Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #2237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
The last couple of weeks the temps have been in the high 90's. Only one afternoon did we get a little shower. Next week looks better. After Monday, most days in the low 90's with a chance of afternoon showers. We need some rain bad. All the yards are brown. Might be too late.
Brown yards are the least of our concerns. We are, very literally, concerned about turning on the taps and nothing coming out, or that we'll all have to pay very dearly to have water trucked in on a large scale to meet even scaled back needs, assuming we can get that much contracted to the city. It IS that bad here, folks.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #2238
Administrator

That's awful, Ziggy! On the news here about an hour ago the weather prediction was for an inch or two of rain here in New Orleans on Tuesday or Wednesday. If it really materializes, I'll be thinking of you Texans and hoping the cloud travels over in your direction.

Dawg, I hope your grass doesn't die off. Sounds awful up there, too.

OK, so we get a little hurricane now and then. I guess living in New Orleans has its benefits at times, too.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #2239

Quote:
One can get too much of a good thing. Forecast is for ~40% chance of rain every day for the next week. Just like last week. Can't go for a bike ride. Bummer. Even now I can see the sky getting darker as the clouds build up.

You can keep the 106 temps though.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #2240

1"-2" of rain in Denver today....3"-8" of SNOW in the mountains above 10,000 ft. Back to the high 70's tomorrow. Go figure.