Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #2241

And guess what? I think our A/C just went out...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #2242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And guess what? I think our A/C just went out...
Oh crap...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh crap...
Let's just say the vents are blowing warm air and the inside temp has gone from 78 to 83 in the last hour or two.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #2244
Administrator

Oof. Maybe the 106 degree heat is just too much for the A/C to keep up with. (?)

It sprinkled a little bit on the way to lunch, though the rain vaporized upon hitting anything.

But now, there is an enormous black storm cloud descending upon us. F. took down his ham radio antenna, and we are hoping for rain. It would be the pits if it just went on past us and dumped the rain somewhere else. Wish I knew a good rain dance.

We have 40%-50% chance of rain for a few days, and it's about time.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #2245

Quote:
Let's just say the vents are blowing warm air and the inside temp has gone from 78 to 83 in the last hour or two.
Hey, at least it happened on a "cool" day - only 99 out there!

Don't know how old your system is but when our 12 year old unit went on the fritz last year we opted to replace rather than repair. I can definitely see the drop in our electric bill due to a more efficient unit.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #2246

Quote:
Hey, at least it happened on a "cool" day - only 99 out there!

Don't know how old your system is but when our 12 year old unit went on the fritz last year we opted to replace rather than repair. I can definitely see the drop in our electric bill due to a more efficient unit.
5 years old. We installed it when we moved here in 2006. It's a heat pump, actually.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2247

Quote:
5 years old. We installed it when we moved here in 2006. It's a heat pump, actually.
Since it is relatively new is could be something simple - like a bad capacitor - and you can dodge the bullet on a big repair bill.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #2248

Quote:
Since it is relatively new is could be something simple - like a bad capacitor - and you can dodge the bullet on a big repair bill.
Could be. But it feels like it just started blowing cool air again, and the temp has dropped back down to 81. It is due for a servicing anyway, so if the guys we call get back to us we can still do that. At least this makes it less likely to be a compressor needing replacement.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #2249

Glad it's working again. Similar situation on our heat pump a couple of years ago and it was a bad contactor block. $200 for the service call and new part.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2250

Quote:
Glad it's working again. Similar situation on our heat pump a couple of years ago and it was a bad contactor block. $200 for the service call and new part.
Yeah, at this point "intermittent electrical connection problem" has jumped to the top of the list of probable causes. And as I just remarked to my wife, "at least it's more likely to be a $200 problem than a $1200 problem now."

Back down from 83 to 80 in here, on the way back to the usual 78...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #2251
Recycles dryer sheets

I would trade everything I have for just ONE day where the temps hit 80. Heck, I'd settle for 70 at this point.

Vancouver's weather is cold, wet, damp, grey, and miserable. I was at a hot springs on the weekend and it was so cold out, we didn't even want to sit in the hot tub.

It looks like this will be the year of the never-ending winter.

Please send sun!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #2252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I would trade everything I have for just ONE day where the temps hit 80. Heck, I'd settle for 70 at this point.

Vancouver's weather is cold, wet, damp, grey, and miserable. I was at a hot springs on the weekend and it was so cold out, we didn't even want to sit in the hot tub.

Please send sun!
La Niņa is a royal beeyotch wherever you live, it would seem.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #2253
Administrator

Ziggy, good luck with your A/C repairs. I spent about $1000, give or take a few hundred, on getting cold air into my house this summer.

Before putting my house on the market last fall, I had my broken attic fan (that blows the hot air out of my attic) replaced by a better model of attic fan ($$). That involved a roofer. ($$$) And then there was the electrician ($$$), who extended new wiring from the circuit breaker box to it so that it would actually get some juice, which it wasn't getting. As you might imagine, all in all this wasn't a cheap thing to have done.

However, this summer my A/C is 1000% improved just as my HVAC man told me it would be.

We have had record heat all week. The worst that I had yesterday with it set at 75, was 77 during the hottest part of the day. I sure hope it holds up through August and September, usually our hottest months.

Still not raining.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #2254
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Please send sun!
You had sun on the one day we were there before our cruise took off - June 3rd. Apparently, it had poured the day before, but we weren't there, thankfully!

Beautiful city, BTW, and extremely nice people! We took a train to the port and so many people were over the top helpful to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alaska! 007.jpg (423.6 KB, 1 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #2255
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Beautiful city, BTW, and extremely nice people! We took a train to the port and so many people were over the top helpful to us.
It's survival mode....it's so freakin' cold out that we're nice to people on the off chance that they'll volunteer to share their body heat in case of hypothermia.

Glad you enjoyed the city! Hope the cruise was great!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2256

Quote:
It's survival mode....it's so freakin' cold out that we're nice to people on the off chance that they'll volunteer to share their body heat in case of hypothermia.

Glad you enjoyed the city! Hope the cruise was great!

Cruise was fantastic! Alaska was amazing.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #2257

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Cruise was fantastic! Alaska was amazing.
And speaking of this, the last time we cruised Alaska, the day we saw the most sun was in, of all places, Ketchikan -- the rainiest, most overcast spot on the face of the earth, pretty much, or so it feels like. In fact, we saw the sun a few times in Ketchikan whereas most of the rest of the stops saw nothing but clouds and drizzle.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #2258

Quote:
And speaking of this, the last time we cruised Alaska, the day we saw the most sun was in, of all places, Ketchikan -- the rainiest, most overcast spot on the face of the earth, pretty much, or so it feels like. In fact, we saw the sun a few times in Ketchikan whereas most of the rest of the stops saw nothing but clouds and drizzle.
We had overcast skies and slight intermittent rain in Ketchikan, but super weather for all the other ports. Had 70's in Juneau and Icy Strait Point with sunny weather. We were really lucky!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #2259
Administrator

It's raining! Woo-hoo!! I awakened to the sound of a torrential rain, that sounded like a huge waterfall. It has been raining or drizzling most of the day. My grass will live to see another day, and the rain should cool things off as well.

I'll do my best to send it over to Texas when we're done with it.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #2260

A perfect mid-summer day here in Denver