Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #2281
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius
I am the type of person who prefers heat to cold. Give me the eighties over the fifties anytime.

C
+1. But it was 115 when I left Phoenix a few days ago. That's too hot for me. Tomorrow's forecast for northern il is 97 with a heat index of 106. I'd love to have a few months of sun with 80's
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #2282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
...really cold weather ( 30's & 40's ) lasts only about 1-2 months. But even that is too long for me. I suspect my use of the term "really cold weather" will invoke peals of laughter and no small disdain from the folks who live in Canada......

C
Not quite Canada, but pretty darn close in upstate NY with only 1.5 hour drive to the international border.

I have been watchig the intense heat wave, drought, flood and fire reports on the Weather Channel. It almost makes the lake effect snow seem bearable. Almost...
Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #2283
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't even like it when it gets above 80F.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #2284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
I don't even like it when it gets above 80F.

Ditto.

Recall the time when I arrived in the Baltimore area on a 4th of July. 101F and 90% humidity. This after having spent the previous summers in the Aleutians of Alaska. Sucked biiig time.

In the Laurel Highlands of PA rare to hit 90F. Have to drive down the hill towards Pittsburgh about 15 miles to feel the 90F.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #2285
Give me a forum ...

Forecast highs for the next 9 days: 101, 102, 103, 103, 101, 100, 100, 102, 102.

Not a drop of rain.

DW and I have seriously started talking about this being the last Texas summer we ever endure.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #2286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Forecast highs for the next 9 days: 101, 102, 103, 103, 101, 100, 100, 102, 102.

Not a drop of rain.

DW and I have seriously started talking about this being the last Texas summer we ever endure.
I don't blame you one bit! That's awful. I have lived through thirteen Texas summers and they can be brutal.

We have been having brief torrential rainfall almost every afternoon, with minor road flooding, thunder, and lightning. Photos below. These rainstorms break the heat beautifully (although on days with no rain, we have been having 100+ record heat as well). Other than tropical storms/hurricanes, I like the weather here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rain1.jpg (21.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rain2.jpg (26.0 KB, 6 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #2287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've had my fill as well. After an initial detour to ETX this weekend to attend a wedding, we're taking the RV across the state to the mountains of New Mexico for a week or two. That's assuming the last trip to the dealership really did result in a fix for my check engine light fiasco...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #2288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Not a drop of rain.

While I was away over the 4th, I wanted to see the Missouri River flooding. While I was river watching a guy from Texas also was taking pictures. He said he wanted to take some pictures to take back home. He probably wanted to prove that there really was water in some places. The row of trees is the usual river bank...beyond the trees is Iowa and the flood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (574.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0896.jpg (667.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #2289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...we're taking the RV across the state to the mountains of New Mexico for a week or two. That's assuming the last trip to the dealership really did result in a fix for my check engine light fiasco...
What's the matter -- don't you want to be stranded in Pecos or Fort Stockton?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #2290
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the matter -- don't you want to be stranded in Pecos or Fort Stockton?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #2291
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I just came back from Taos, NM a week ago. They were having weather in the 90's while we were there. But after passing thru Childress TX where it was 118, we thought it was a great cool spell! We are off to England on Friday were it is in the low 70's today and that sure sounds like heaven. My patio reading is 105 right now.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #2292
Give me a forum ...

I'm wearing thermal underwear and we had the heat on this morning.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #2293
Give me a forum ...

How about that dust storm in Arizona? Geez, the pics freaked me out. Any Arizona folks out there to relate the details?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #2294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm wearing thermal underwear and we had the heat on this morning.
All of my underwear feels like thermal underwear.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #2295
Moderator Emeritus

No rain for the last 10 days, sunny and 90º days, 70º nights. Can't say the weather is awful here - now.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #2296
Give me a forum ...

And the rain continues, and continues, and continues... it has rained every day for a long time. Will it ever stop? (sigh) Oh well, at least it's not drought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rain2.jpg (35.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rain1.jpg (19.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (28.8 KB, 9 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #2297
Full time employment: Posting here.

/Rant on Ok I live in Ontario Canada and it has not rained where I am since July 2 and very little for about three weeks before that. On top of that it is going to be nearly 100 F today. This will be a record high. On top of that it is humid. This morning while watching the shuttle land it was cooler in Florida and parts of Texas than it was here. My grass is brown and starting to blow away. Even the weeds are dying. This is not supposed to happen here! I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow. /End rant
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #2298
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
/Rant on Ok I live in Ontario Canada and it has not rained where I am since July 2 and very little for about three weeks before that. On top of that it is going to be nearly 100 F today. This will be a record high. On top of that it is humid. This morning while watching the shuttle land it was cooler in Florida and parts of Texas than it was here. My grass is brown and starting to blow away. Even the weeds are dying. This is not supposed to happen here! I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow. /End rant
Relief should be on the way, it was 96 degrees and 75% humidity here in north eastern North Dakota yesterday. Today the high will be 79 and the humidity is about 45% now. Had some pretty spectacular thunderstorms last night. This air mass is slowly moving east.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #2299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow.
Hey, no profanity on the forum. The "s" word is prohibited.

I probably hate this heat more than anyone else here because of my job. While most others are in a air conditioned office or home I am working 12 hours in 100 degree heat doing manual labor. I have to be very careful. Twice in the last week I have gone down to the ground for a few minutes because I wasn't physically able to stand. At least I didn't pass out like I did once in the past. As much as I dislike this heat it's still not as bad as winter.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #2300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All of my underwear feels like thermal underwear.
Take it off, take it all off.