Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #2341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would really not care for the high temperatures so many of you are experiencing. Think I'll stay in Oregon where it is 83 right now and should drop down to 60 or a little lower tonight. Just about perfect weather these days. Only time will tell if we experience any 90+ days, but I'm hoping not cause I really like a mid 70's kind of day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ahhhh...sigh....

My outside gauge got to 109.9. I have a unit inside of my house. I looked at it a couple of minutes ago and it's blanked out. I guess it doesn't go to 110.

Geezzzz...kind of reminds me of this....

Liked that one.

Have seen most Twilight Zone episodes. TiVo, ya know. I seem to like the older shows because they get the point across without a lot of special effects. Just watch the show for the content. It's more like reading a book.

Hot and dry here . . . hot and dry.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #2343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

102 at 9 freakin' 30...

That's not an "angry" emoticon; I just burst into flames...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #2344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I would really not care for the high temperatures so many of you are experiencing. Think I'll stay in Oregon where it is 83 right now and should drop down to 60 or a little lower tonight. Just about perfect weather these days. Only time will tell if we experience any 90+ days, but I'm hoping not cause I really like a mid 70's kind of day.
I love Oregon....

DH has an uncle that lives in a gorgeous home in Grants Pass. The Applegate River runs through his backyard. I wouldn't mind living there....it's so beautiful.

MegaCorp moved us to Texas 17 years ago. For the most part, we like it here...but the summers can be brutal. Hmmmm....we're retired now...so....Oregon...hmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Liked that one.

Have seen most Twilight Zone episodes. TiVo, ya know. I seem to like the older shows because they get the point across without a lot of special effects. Just watch the show for the content. It's more like reading a book.

Hot and dry here . . . hot and dry.
Oh yes...I'm sure I've seen every black and white episode. My favorite series of all time.

Yes...too hot and too dry here as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #2345

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I love Oregon....
yeah yeah

But look at all the thing's Texas has got [Insert REW's "1001 reasons why you would have to be insane to move to Texas" here] and we can pump our own gas out in the hot blistering sun ourselves!

Today's high was 109. Outside temp here at my house @ 11:30 PM is down to 94. Garage is 100 degrees even.

I reset our pool pump timer to have it run in the morning, instead of the afternoon. That was the only tip on the ERCOT (the TX power grid guru) website that I wasn't doing already as a habit. I wonder if everyone did the same, how much load would be shifted out of peak time at about 2 HP per motor per pool. Considering the number of pools, maybe quite a bit.

In summer, ERCOT estimates that 1 Megawatt Hour of electricity will power just 200 TX homes in the summer. In winter, the number is something like 600 homes.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #2346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
102 at 9 freakin' 30...

That's not an "angry" emoticon; I just burst into flames...
I dunno, this weather is making me pretty angry...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #2347
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm too hot to get heated...and now the news is saying expect rolling blackouts at any moment.

Quote:
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has moved from a power watch to a power warning. This means rolling blackouts are possible.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #2348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
yeah yeah

But look at all the thing's Texas has got [Insert REW's "1001 reasons why you would have to be insane to move to Texas" here] and we can pump our own gas out in the hot blistering sun ourselves!
Just a little piece o' heaven don't ya know?

I don't have a pool, but I do have a pond. I pitched an ice cube in it today and it melted under one minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm too hot to get heated...and now the news is saying expect rolling blackouts at any moment.
I sure hope you have a generator to keep yer puter goin'....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19394gerbil_wheellg[1].jpg (17.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #2349

It doesn't look good for Texas: Forecasters: Drought May Persist For Another Year : NPR

A La Nina watch is back in place. Great, another long, cold wet winter for us and drought for the midwest.

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #2350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
It doesn't look good for Texas: Forecasters: Drought May Persist For Another Year : NPR

A La Nina watch is back in place. Great, another long, cold wet winter for us and drought for the midwest.
Good thing we don't plan to be living here next summer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #2351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Good thing we don't plan to be living here next summer.
Where are you thinking of moving? Hope that works out for you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #2352
Give me a forum ...

Current drought conditions map, courtesy USDA.

US Drought Monitor
Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #2353
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #2354
Give me a forum ...

We gotta little storm heading here we'd like to send your way....you know, just to cool things down a bit and ease the drought. Just a little hop over Florida and there she goes....
Attached Images
File Type: gif irene2.gif (37.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #2355
Give me a forum ...

Boy...we sure could use it.

A few clouds are building up, but they'll prolly turn into dust.

It's the pits when you can't walk barefoot across your grass...as the grass is too crunchy.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #2356
Give me a forum ...

Record heat yesterday, don't know about today yet but the heat and humidity was unreal.

Tonight a storm just started - - the intense sort of summer storm that heat like that sometimes brings on. Loud thunder, torrential rain, and enough gusty wind that the sound of the rain on the windows was like hail (I had to go check).

New Orleans wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone, but still we are sure grateful that Irene isn't going to be ours.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #2357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
New Orleans wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone, but still we are sure grateful that Irene isn't going to be ours.
If Irene would stay Cat 2 or lower and it hit a sparsely populated area, you could wish her on us and we'd throw her a party, especially those of us inland...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #2358
Full time employment: Posting here.

Earthquake devastation in Virginia
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Earthquake Damage.bmp (447.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #2359
Give me a forum ...

Texas rain gauges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXRainGauge.jpg (38.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #2360
Give me a forum ...

I'm in Leesburg VA right now. Got to head back home to the beach by Friday to batten down the hatches. Put down the hurricane shutters and tie everything on the deck down. Don't want any flying lounge chairs or kayaks.

It's funny. I watch the weather channel and it sounds like I should head back early and get started on the ark. But if I go to their website and check the forecast, it sounds like two days of moderately heavy rain and a trifling 40 mph wind. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, I guess.
Closed Thread