Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #2361
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm in Leesburg VA right now. Got to head back home to the beach by Friday to batten down the hatches. Put down the hurricane shutters and tie everything on the deck down. Don't want any flying lounge chairs or kayaks.

It's funny. I watch the weather channel and it sounds like I should head back early and get started on the ark. But if I go to their website and check the forecast, it sounds like two days of moderately heavy rain and a trifling 40 mph wind. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, I guess.
Yes, you have got to do that. Won't do any harm to err on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If Irene would stay Cat 2 or lower and it hit a sparsely populated area, you could wish her on us and we'd throw her a party, especially those of us inland...
I sure hope you get a good drenching soon. The drought in Texas has become so ugly.

We are still getting rainfall every day, and I am grateful for it. Tonight I lost electricity, cable, and cell after that brief but intense, loud, torrential, lightning-filled storm earlier, so I took a nap. Now everything is back.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #2362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they've shifted the forecasted path a bit to the left. My house is now right on the line between the 59+ mph winds, and the 78+ ones. I may have to use extra bungee cords on the kayaks. Luckily we have a propane generator. We'll at least be able to see, the fridge will keep the food cool, and the toilets (pump for the well) will work. As long as I have these three things I don't need anything else. And this ashtray. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Sorry. Got carried away.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #2363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Looks like they've shifted the forecasted path a bit to the left. My house is now right on the line between the 59+ mph winds, and the 78+ ones. I may have to use extra bungee cords on the kayaks. Luckily we have a propane generator. We'll at least be able to see, the fridge will keep the food cool, and the toilets (pump for the well) will work. As long as I have these three things I don't need anything else. And this ashtray. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Sorry. Got carried away.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2364
Administrator

Harley, take care. If it helps, I know about the "just one more thing" pre-hurricane thought process. There is always just one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We are still getting rainfall every day, and I am grateful for it. Tonight I lost electricity, cable, and cell after that brief but intense, loud, torrential, lightning-filled storm earlier, so I took a nap. Now everything is back.
This morning, I found my trashcan was blown over by the wind and my trash was spread all over the yard. Ugh. Got that picked up.

Actually I was pretty lucky. The house across the street had a tree blown down on top of their car, and other houses had plenty of debris to pick up.

― B. Lee

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #2365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

11:15 am local time and the temp is approaching 103. I think it might be a little on the warm side today...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #2366
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
11:15 am local time and the temp is approaching 103. I think it might be a little on the warm side today...
Maybe time for another RV trip for you? I understand there are places where it is cool.

Hint: not here. We have been having record heat and close to it recently, in the mid to upper 90's. Still, with our pattern of daily rains this summer damping the heat in the afternoons we have no complaints.

― B. Lee

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe time for another RV trip for you?
Long past.

2:15 pm and creeping up on 112 on my back porch - which usually runs two to four degrees under the official temp...

Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #2368

Quote:
108 here now officially. Our tap water -- the "cold" water -- just tested out at 96 degrees.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #2369
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
108 here now officially. Our tap water -- the "cold" water -- just tested out at 96 degrees.

Our tap water is not that hot....but it does taste a little like dirt. Thank heavens for the water filter in our fridge.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #2370
Give me a forum ...

Post Irene we've got beautiful clear skies, and now that the sun is down we're running at about 65 degrees. Nice.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #2371
Give me a forum ...

Please let it turn away from land. Tropical depression 12 - predicted to be a Hurricane Katia by Thursday.

Tropical Depression TWELVE
Attached Images
File Type: gif TD12.gif (28.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Please let it turn away from land. Tropical depression 12 - predicted to be a Hurricane Katia by Thursday.
Better yet, please send it into Texas, but not as a severe hurricane and preferably hitting a sparsely populated area...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #2373
Give me a forum ...

Earlier this a.m. we got a little rain. Right now it's cloudy and 82 degrees.

I imagine by this afternoon, it will be 107.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #2374

At 11:15 our temp is only 96 - seven degrees cooler than at the same time yesterday. I may have to put on a jacket...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #2375

I was rained on this a.m. That's news in Dfw.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #2376

It rained on us twice this morning! Rain only totalled ~ .1-.2"
But the temp dropped down to 75! First time I've seen it below 80 for at least two months? With the cooler temp outside, I got the garage temp to just drop out of the 90's with doors open. But then I had to leave, and now its back up in the 90's, both garage and outside. Will probably be well over 100 today again, and with added humidity from the rain.
We are getting pretty close to the all-time record of number of days 100 or over. At this point, it's been sooo hot this year, I want to break the record, not fall a day or two short after suffering all this time.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #2377
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Earlier this a.m. we got a little rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I was rained on this a.m. That's news in Dfw.
Excellent!!

― B. Lee

Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #2378

Quote:
At 11:15 our temp is only 96 - seven degrees cooler than at the same time yesterday. I may have to put on a jacket...
September forecast tells of glad tidings for you.
4 days of possible rain and sub 100 temps...Happy Everything!!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #2379
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Earlier this a.m. we got a little rain. Right now it's cloudy and 82 degrees.

I imagine by this afternoon, it will be 107.
Truly, I hope you in Texas experience a generous amount of rain this fall and winter. I have heard about the withered plants, and the stressed animals I hope things turn around soon.

California is just as vulnerable to heat waves. Especially this time of the year, we are all pretty wary about fires. We just hope we can maintain and try to relax until the fall rains come.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #2380
Administrator

Where are our daily rains today? We need them.

There was a strong smell of smoke all over town this afternoon, due to a 1300 acre bog fire out in Bayou Sauvage, a wild swampy area in eastern New Orleans.* The fire is so intense and goes so deep into the swamp that apparently only a long, hard rainfall will put it out. We have had rain virtually every day since mid-June, but none today.

Meanwhile, school children aren't permitted outside at school, joggers can't jog, and in the hot, humid, still air the smoke seems to linger forever. Brown smoke covers the city, looking like west coast smog at its worst. I was concerned about breathing at the gym even with air conditioning, but my workout with weights was OK. I wouldn't want to be doing cardio in the smoke, though.

*Actually Bayou Sauvage is so remote and hard to penetrate, that for example it is reputed to be a dumping place for dead bodies, acccording to some. There is no access to get firefighters in there.

― B. Lee