Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #2401
Administrator

Yes, they have done some things in certain parts of the levee system, REW. For example, the 17th street canal (which became famous due to the flooding in Katrina, got LOTS of money and big scale projects and improvements. However, some other parts of the levee/drainage system have been ignored completely and it is only as strong as its weakest link. You really have to live here and not earn your living from the levee work, to understand the extent of the hype and the problems after Katrina that were never addressed at all. However, with any luck the levee system won't see much of a challenge for a couple of decades, and by then the present Corps will all be retired.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #2402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
However, some other parts of the levee/drainage system have been ignored completely and it is only as strong as its weakest link.
Sounds like some giant rolls of duct tape might come in handy...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #2403
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds like some giant rolls of duct tape might come in handy...
Yeah, duct tape can fix anything, right?

Another handy thing to do is live in a fairly cheap, paid off house, and consider it to be expendible. No way would I buy a higher end house here. Of course I could change my mind.

Did I mention that I hate tropical weather?

Right now it is barely sprinkling and there isn't even very much wind. I'm sure another band will come through eventually. Only 15,000 have lost electricity. The worst so far (for me) is the sleep deprivation due to the robocalls.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #2404
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Equally worrisome is the possibility those of us depending on a well for water will end up having dust come out when we turn on the faucet...
At one point they were talking about doing a water deal with Oklahoma, but I think politics got in the way. We also have thousands of fish dying in Lake Grapevine and other lakes due to the heat, but I'd be happy to take that before a dry spigot.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We also have thousands of fish dying in Lake Grapevine and other lakes due to the heat, but I'd be happy to take that before a dry spigot.
Does your water smell a little fishy?

If so, try squeezing a little lemon juice in it...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #2406
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like we will get drenched by Lee on Monday. The forecast is for 6-10" of rain in Northern AL.

For all of you on the coast (and especially NOLA), stay safe!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
At one point they were talking about doing a water deal with Oklahoma, but I think politics got in the way. We also have thousands of fish dying in Lake Grapevine and other lakes due to the heat, but I'd be happy to take that before a dry spigot.
Looking at how everything seems to be either flooding or parched, it makes me wonder if an "Interstate Highway System" for water would be feasible -- taking it away from the areas that have too much water and delivering it to places that desperately need it. Drought relief *and* flood prevention. If the future is going to be anything like the 2011 weather season, I could get behind that...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #2408
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Looks like we will get drenched by Lee on Monday. The forecast is for 6-10" of rain in Northern AL.

For all of you on the coast (and especially NOLA), stay safe!
Good luck and I hope Lee doesn't swamp you.

It isn't even raining now, or barely. We went out to lunch just now, and I didn't even need a raincoat. The pavement in the parking lot was dry. It could kick up later, but so far, so good... I understand the Florida Panhandle is getting hammered.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #2409

Quote:
Does your water smell a little fishy?

If so, try squeezing a little lemon juice in it...
Less fishy But I do like your suggestion to make some lemon aide
Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #2410
Administrator

The worst of Lee's impact over for metro New Orleans...

Worst Of Lee's Impact Over For Metro New Orleans - WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports

All we had was a summer overnight rainstorm. Looks like Alabama and Mississippi are going to get the brunt of this storm but we are about done with it, if this article is correct.

Saving the day for us was that hot, dry Texas air which got into the storm from the west. Thanks, Texans!

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2411

Quote:
Saving the day for us was that hot, dry Texas air which got into the storm from the west. Thanks, Texans!
There's at least silver lining to the (lack of) clouds -- today is the last day in the forecast where the highs are expected to hit 100 (it's 100 here right now). Tomorrow is forecast for 98, then low 90s for a few days, which would feel like paradise right about now...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2412

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There's at least silver lining to the (lack of) clouds -- today is the last day in the forecast where the highs are expected to hit 100 (it's 100 here right now). Tomorrow is forecast for 98, then low 90s for a few days, which would feel like paradise right about now...
Like finding a shady tree in hades...
Old 09-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2413

Its been a light rain here in Vicksburg from Lee. It was raining when I got up and has been going all day. A light rain is unusual, as we normally get torrents. DS-8 is having a ball playing on his trampoline in the rain.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #2414

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Like finding a shady tree in hades...
And there's no rain in Hades, of course....
Old 09-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #2415

Quote:
My thermometer reads 105.8...

Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #2416

Quote:
A little shade is better than none at all - even if it only makes you think you're cooler.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #2417
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
Its been a light rain here in Vicksburg from Lee. It was raining when I got up and has been going all day. A light rain is unusual, as we normally get torrents. DS-8 is having a ball playing on his trampoline in the rain.
We usually get torrential rain from tropical storms, too, but not much of that this time. Maybe you will escape the worst of T.S. Lee, too.

Playing on a trampoline in the rain sounds like such fun for a kid!!

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #2418
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe there in Hades the promise of low 90s is simply to make you even more miserable if when it doesn't happen.

I'll bet last winter seems like a hundred years ago to Texans, after this brutal summer.

Quote:
My thermometer reads 105.8...
Maybe it's stuck.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #2419

Quote:
The worst of Lee's impact over for metro New Orleans...
And here is hoping the other Lee, namely Jarret, has a positive impact over the Ducks.

Geaux Tigers!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #2420
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Playing on a trampoline in the rain sounds like such fun for a kid!!
That may be so, but there have been many severe head injuries associated with trampoline use (I even know of a physician who suffered significant brain injury when playing on one with his kids). Here are the recommendations on trampolines from the Canadian Paediatric Society. Of course American kids may be different.

Are home trampolines safe?