Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #2501
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
It has been a great summer and a pretty good fall weatherwise. I endured none of the hardships of Texas and other places.
All of that is about to end. While you enjoy better weather, I am looking at white rain falling. First of the year in this part of PA.
Sounds like snowblower weather up there, already! Amazing. Hope the snow isn't too heavy.

We had a lovely day in the mid 80's, sunny and nice. Tonight we will have a cold front and the highs tomorrow will be in the 70's.

It has been nice.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #2502
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like snowblower weather up there, already! Amazing. Hope the snow isn't too heavy.

We had a lovely day in the mid 80's, sunny and nice. Tonight we will have a cold front and the highs tomorrow will be in the 70's.

It has been nice.
I understand it's forecast to be brutal, cold and snow-wise, this year up where I am. Thank heavens that this year for the first time, if I choose not to participate in the battle with the weather one snowy/icy morning, I no longer have to!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #2503
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I understand it's forecast to be brutal, cold and snow-wise, this year up where I am. Thank heavens that this year for the first time, if I choose not to participate in the battle with the weather one snowy/icy morning, I no longer have to!
That is great! Earlier we had thick early morning fog around 6-7 AM, when everyone is driving to w*rk. I admit that I did enjoy not having to drive in it, like I would have had to do before ER. Also I listened to the traffic report and there were several accidents slowing traffic to a halt. By the time I was ready to go out, the fog was gone and it was all blue skies and sunshine.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #2504
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It has been a great summer and a pretty good fall weatherwise. I endured none of the hardships of Texas and other places.
All of that is about to end. While you enjoy better weather, I am looking at white rain falling. First of the year in this part of PA.
We had just a smidge of snow mixed with rain yesterday in upstate NY. It didn't last long or stick. There was skim ice in my dogs' water dish this AM. Brrrrrr

You might want to hit the store early today to stock up on milk, eggs, bread and beer.

Early Season Snowstorm Targets Northeast - weather.com=
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #2505

Noooo! This is too soon!

Forecast is one to three inches of snow tonight/tomorrow. Yuk.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2506

Ditto for SW PA.

I guess this is nature's way of hinting to put away my kayak. BoooHisss. OTOH more time for skating, yippeee. There is a saving grace.

Edit add @ 1830 Hrs :

Given the latest:

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 7 PM this evening
to 8 PM EDT Saturday.

* Hazard type... heavy wet snow.

* Accumulations... 5 to 9 inches of snow, with locally higher
amounts across the highest ridges.

Dug out the snow blower, and checking it out this eve.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #2507

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Ditto for SW PA.

I guess this is nature's way of hinting to put away my kayak. BoooHisss. OTOH more time for skating, yippeee. There is a saving grace.

Edit add @ 1830 Hrs :

Given the latest:

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 7 PM this evening
to 8 PM EDT Saturday.

* Hazard type... heavy wet snow.

* Accumulations... 5 to 9 inches of snow, with locally higher
amounts across the highest ridges.

Dug out the snow blower, and checking it out this eve.
Thanks for the warnings. The weather persons say that up here to the north we are going to dodge the wet snow bullit. We will see. I will hunker down but I am not going to change the oil in the snow blower yet.

Doesn't all of the nice weather stay north of I-80. Or is it the other way around?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #2508

Quote:
Never heard that phrase, white rain, so I Googled it. I mean, I figured it probably meant snow, but with weird yankee weather who knows, plus I don't even know how to spell things like ice-cicles much less have any actual experience with such things.

Anyway - Googled it and all I can say is you probably don't want to use that phrase ever again. It wasn't pretty.

Freakishly cold here in Baghdad on the Bayou. Strange to go outside and not hear all the A/C units droning constantly. Should be back closer to normal at about 80 by mid-week. It's below 60 and we are wearing sweaters. If it gets any colder we will break out the ski gear and pray we don't end up like the Terra-Nova expedition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_Expedition
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #2509
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is 29F -2C in S Ontario and I put on a sweater over my T shirt for my walk. Need coat for more sedentary outdoor activities.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #2510

Well me lucked out, the dire forecast 9" heavy snow did not happen. Will get maybe an inch if that.

Surely the mayhem was averted by digging out and prepping my snowblower.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #2511

It's started. I really didn't want to see this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nooooo_10 29_6032.jpg (444.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #2512
Administrator

Oh my, that's beautiful, Walt!

From a distance, that is....

We had another cold front, so temperatures have gone down from the mid 80's to the 50's-60's. It is 54 out there right now, at 10:30 AM. These cooler temperatures feel great after a long, hot summer.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #2513

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
It is 29F -2C in S Ontario and I put on a sweater over my T shirt for my walk. Need coat for more sedentary outdoor activities.
Good man, that used to me too having grown up in the northeast, but having lived in North Texas for the last 19 years, I think my blood thinned out and the cold gets to me.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's started. I really didn't want to see this stuff.
That's not right - it's not even November yet! Have to say, I don't miss it one bit.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #2515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Never heard that phrase, white rain, so I Googled it. I mean, I figured it probably meant snow, but with weird yankee weather who knows, plus I don't even know how to spell things like ice-cicles much less have any actual experience with such things.

Anyway - Googled it and all I can say is you probably don't want to use that phrase ever again. It wasn't pretty.
It was a descriptive term for what I was seeing falling outside my window. Thanks for the heads up.

No snow on the ground here.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #2516
Recycles dryer sheets

In my area, summer = high humidity, mold, mildew, more bugs, higher electric rates for AC, dehumidifiers, refrigeration, and more laundry. Winter = heartier meals, more use of the oven, an excuse to use the wood stove & featherbeds, less tourists (congestion), and a hunting season where game does not spoil in the field due to high temps .
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #2517
Give me a forum ...

-2 Centigrade (28 F) overnight, cloudy this morning. Got the parka out. Mid morning, the sun came out and it turned into a beautiful day, peak temp 7 C (45F). Fall foliage was golden down the valley, where I did a little post harvest wine tasting with friends. Currently -4 C (25), clear.

The southern Okanagan valley around Oliver almost feels like India: Dhaliwal Orchards, Zia Farms, Chandra Family Estate Winery, the Hindu and Sikh temples......and a pumpkin-coloured turban on a motorbiking grandfather! Namaste to you too, eh?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #2518
Give me a forum ...

Getting cold here in Baku, too. One source says it will snow tomorrow, but it hasn't been right all week.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #2519

When I left work last night there was frost on the seat of my motorcycle. This is not a good trend.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #2520
Give me a forum ...

Nighttime temps are going down to just freezing, and car windows are covered with light frost in the AMs. No scraping required, just letting it melt naturally.
Daytime temps are ranging between 40F and 60F, with some bright sunshine lately instead of the rainy/cloudy gloom of previous weeks.
Typical late fall weather for East Nowhere NY.