Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #2581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally purchased a weather radio. We really need it here in Alabama, especially with the spring time coming up. Hoping no more tornados!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2582
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I finally purchased a weather radio. We really need it here in Alabama, especially with the spring time coming up. Hoping no more tornados!!!
Wise purchase, simple girl! Those tornados were so devastating.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #2583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tornados touching down in the Dallas area.

So far so good at the bbbamI household.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #2584
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Tornados touching down in the Dallas area.

So far so good at the bbbamI household.
You're in the cross hairs of one right now. Be careful...

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #2585

Stay safe my friends in Texas!!!! And please keep us updated!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #2586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stay safe my friends in Texas!!!! And please keep us updated!
Thank you....we're fine.

It looks like the worst is moving away from our area and is headed east. Some rain, thunder and lightning is all we got.

There are many areas were houses were severely damaged. All the info is not in right now, but at this point there are no reports of fatalities. Right now the confirmed number of tornados is seven. I'm sure that number will go up.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #2587
Administrator

Tornados in Dallas - - how awful. I'm glad you are OK, BbbamI, and that the worst is headed out.

Here in New Orleans, it's 90F, hot hot hot, sunny, very humid. Tomorrow we have a slight risk of strong storms but probably just ordinary rain.

― B. Lee

Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #2588
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
You're in the cross hairs of one right now. Be careful...
For a while there, I felt like a big ol' fat turkey....didn't know if I should zig or zag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tornados in Dallas - - how awful. I'm glad you are OK, BbbamI, and that the worst is headed out.

Here in New Orleans, it's 90F, hot hot hot, sunny, very humid. Tomorrow we have a slight risk of strong storms but probably just ordinary rain.
Thank you.... I sure hope your weather tomorrow is not nasty, that's for sure.

I feel sorry for all the people that have damage to their homes. But the part that frightened me the most was when thousands of people were stuck in gridlock on the roads with tornados all around them.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #2589

Quote:
I feel sorry for all the people that have damage to their homes. But the part that frightened me the most was when thousands of people were stuck in gridlock on the roads with tornados all around them.
That's terrifying, b/c being in a car during a tornado is one of the worst places to be. Glad you all are ok.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #2590
Administrator

I just saw the news coverage. It showed a gigantic tornado, tossing what I guess were parts of 18-wheelers up into the air. It looked awful.

― B. Lee

Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #2591
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For a while there, I felt like a big ol' fat turkey....didn't know if I should zig or zag.
At that 2:30 pm post, I was looking at a projected path for one of the hook echoes. It looked like it had you lined up within a mile or so. Pretty spooky. Glad to hear all is well.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #2592

Quote:
At that 2:30 pm post, I was looking at a projected path for one of the hook echoes. It looked like it had you lined up within a mile or so. Pretty spooky. Glad to hear all is well.
I'm still waiting to hear a post back from our friends who live in Richardson, Tx. Her last post on facebook 60 minutes ago was "why is ice falling on my house." She has not responded to my posts, and I'm starting to get worried. Hoping, hoping that it is just that electricity/internet is out. We do not have their current phone numbers so I can't even call them. Have you all heard any reports out of Richardson? I heard on my local news that there was damage there.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #2593
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear a post back from our friends who live in Richardson, Tx. Her last post on facebook 60 minutes ago was "why is ice falling on my house." She has not responded to my posts, and I'm starting to get worried. Hoping, hoping that it is just that electricity/internet is out. We do not have their current phone numbers so I can't even call them. Have you all heard any reports out of Richardson? I heard on my local news that there was damage there.
No tornado touchdowns in Richardson that I'm aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were power outages in that area though. Keeping our fingers crossed for your friends, sg.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #2594

Quote:
No tornado touchdowns in Richardson that I'm aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if there were power outages in that area though. Keeping our fingers crossed for your friends, sg.
Thank you so much for that report - gives me a bit of breathing room!!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #2595

Our friends just reported in that they are ok. What a relief!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #2596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahhhh....thank you for looking out for me. It's a very nice feeling....
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #2597
Administrator

Now we have a tornado warning in New Orleans, with a tornado possibly on the ground in the Ponchartrain Park neighborhood. The line of storms that produced Dallas's tornados won't even get here for 3-4 hours, though. This is another storm that just popped up out of nowhere and looks like it is headed out to the lake, luckily.

This storm is producing 1-1.5 inch hail in small patchy areas. None here yet. Still, I wish I had a garage for my Venza.... I'd settle for a carport.

― B. Lee

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #2598
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thank you.... I sure hope your weather tomorrow is not nasty, that's for sure.

I'm really glad that all is well at your house and in your family.

Did you see the photos of big over-the-road trailers that got picked up and thrown around down around Arlington? Scary indeed.

Ha
Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #2599
Recycles dryer sheets

Dallas has only had one major tornado in its 171-year history: April 2, 1957 F-3 which killed 10 people.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
Dallas has only had one major tornado in its 171-year history: April 2, 1957 F-3 which killed 10 people.
Perhaps in Dallas proper, but not in the Metroplex. In 1994 Lancaster was hit with an F4 that killed several people and was just hit again yesterday. Fort Worth was hit with an F3, I think back around 2000 that was also pretty devastating.

Since I had my roof replaced last year for the 4th time, I was relieved not to get hammared yesterday.