Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #2681
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This tropical storm Debby is goofy. It's still up in the panhandle of Florida and is expected to travel east across the pennisula and out into the Atlantic. Sitting here in the Tampa Bay area with tropical storm warnings. National Weather Service says same for tomorrow. Unbelieveable. Such a slow moving storm.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2682
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is electrical generation keeping up with the loads in those hot places where you have been reporting from?

These are unbelievable temps for June!

Ha
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is electrical generation keeping up with the loads in those hot places where you have been reporting from?
We tied the record yesterday (103) and I read this AM that we came close to tying the record for electrical usage set last miserable summer. So far no warnings to reduce loads or face rolling blackouts like we saw last summer.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #2684
Give me a forum ...

Just took the 1st swim in the pool this year. Nice water. I should have started earlier.

I was just joking when complaining about 107F temperature. Heck, we do not use the word "Hot" until it gets to 115. The record high set here was 122F a few years ago. That's 50C for non-US folks.

See why more people settle in Texas compared to the SW? The Texans got nice weather.

Quote:
These are unbelievable temps for June!
June? We were not home in May, but were told it was like this then.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2685
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I forgot to mention that in nearly 40 years of living here, I have never experienced rolling black-outs in the summer. Knock on wood. Yet, the population has grown explosively in that time, as in many other places.

Perhaps we just cut off power flowing to our neighbor states when it is tough.

Sorry to the San Diegans and the Los Angelicans. You have the ocean beach to go to, we don't.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #2686

The rain g*ds have smiled cried on us today.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #2687
Recycles dryer sheets

103 in NW Ohio today. We're not use to that kinda warm!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #2688

Southern Calif. is awesome as usual. 73 with a light breeze. CA may have it's detractions but weather isn't one of them.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #2689
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I played in a pro-am golf tournament and my tee time was 1pm. It really didn't seem that hot as the humidity was low and we got a little breeze. Today was hotter but I didn't play, just watched the pros. i do plan to play tomorrow, but it will be early. When it gets this hot I try to be off the course by 11am. We could use some rain.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #2690
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It was 11 degrees cooler here today than on Monday - we only made it up to 95!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #2691
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It was 11 degrees cooler here today than on Monday - we only made it up to 95!
Wow! I hope that cool blast is coming our way. It was 99 in New Orleans today; not so bad by Texas standards but hot hot hot even so.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #2692
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Wow! I hope that cool blast is coming our way. It was 99 in New Orleans today; not so bad by Texas standards but hot hot hot even so.
Supposed to reach 107 again today in Mo which is almost 20 degrees above normal. But humidity levels are in the 30s. This time of year its near 70% normally. I walked an hour last evening and didn't break much of a sweat at all. If I walked with the normal 90 degree and normal humidity levels, I would be soaked. I can tolerate high heat, but cant stand high humidity!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #2693
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Supposed to reach 107 again today in Mo which is almost 20 degrees above normal. But humidity levels are in the 30s. This time of year its near 70% normally. I walked an hour last evening and didn't break much of a sweat at all. If I walked with the normal 90 degree and normal humidity levels, I would be soaked. I can tolerate high heat, but cant stand high humidity!
107F is spectacularly high! Wow.

As for humidity, as I post (11 AM) we have 91F and 67% humidity here in New Orleans. The weather this week has been brutal. Thank goodness for air conditioning. I haven't even gone outside to take the trash out, yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #2694
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

107F is spectacularly high! Wow.

As for humidity, as I post (11 AM) we have 91F and 67% humidity here in New Orleans. The weather this week has been brutal. Thank goodness for air conditioning. I haven't even gone outside to take the trash out, yet.
No need to waste money on a morning shower, when all you had to do was walk outside with a bar of soap to take out the trash!
It's Too Darn Hot!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #2695
Give me a forum ...

It's Too Darn Hot!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #2696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Air conditioning: Making the South marginally habitable since 1927...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2697

Our monsoon season arrives like clockwork, 5PM New Mexico time during the 4th of July parade.

Saturday and Sunday 20% POP
Monday 30% POP
Tuesday 40% POP
Wednesday 40% POP
Thursday on 50% POP

Here is Super Cooper wonder dog.

2010 4th of July 015.JPG
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #2698

Finally, the heat wave is gone! For now, at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forecast.JPG (45.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #2699
Moderator Emeritus

Heh! It's 60 degrees here mid-morning, summer on the Left Coast. Almost too warm to sell sweaters to the shivering tourists in shorts and tees at the Powell Street cable car turnaround. However... We just might be getting to 90-100 in the next few days.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #2700
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's a wildfire in the Sierras in the American River Canyon near Foresthill. Yesterday it was 100+, and today it will be a bit cooler - hopefully the firefighters can get the flames under control. Yesterday about 200 acres burned. Today the fire covers 317 acres. It's smoky outside - unhealthy. Time to sit tight...iced tea sounds nice. I think I go over my emergency list.
Closed Thread