Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #2701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
There's a wildfire in the Sierras in the American River Canyon near Foresthill. Yesterday it was 100+, and today it will be a bit cooler - hopefully the firefighters can get the flames under control. Yesterday about 200 acres burned. Today the fire covers 317 acres. It's smoky outside - unhealthy. Time to sit tight...iced tea sounds nice. I think I go over my emergency list.
Stay safe and prepared, I am a Wildland Firefighter, but the brass has us stay local this year. I have had 2 wildfires in two years come within 1 mile of my homestead. We were evacuated last year while I was on patrol protecting my own property with a 2k gal tender(water tanker), when it happen.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #2702
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Stay safe and prepared, I am a Wildland Firefighter, but the brass has us stay local this year. I have had 2 wildfires in two years come within 1 mile of my homestead. We were evacuated last year while I was on patrol protecting my own property with a 2k gal tender(water tanker), when it happen.
This morning the fire was at 317 acres and 20% contained. It is now 7:00 PM, and the fire is over 700 acres, and 10% contained. The terrain is very steep and brushy. The temperature turned out to be 106 around here this afternoon. So far, so good - no homes have been destroyed. It looks like we are in for some smokey days ahead.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #2703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The situation is getting pretty bad here in central Illinois. No appreciable rain since May

Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #2704

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The situation is getting pretty bad here in central Illinois. No appreciable rain since May
It sure does look sad to see the corn fields having such a bad time of it. I truly hope it rains soon!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #2705
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary

It sure does look sad to see the corn fields having such a bad time of it. I truly hope it rains soon!
Yes, be prepared to pay more for your corn

The soybeans seem to be handling it OK.

I remember some play called "The Rainmaker". We need one of those (who can really do it)!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #2706

Another record breaking day: they are predicting 100 with high humidity here in St. Paul. It was already 80 and sticky when I got up at 4:30 this morning. So tired of the extreme heat!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Another record breaking day: they are predicting 100 with high humidity here in St. Paul. It was already 80 and sticky when I got up at 4:30 this morning. So tired of the extreme heat!
Just hang in there - it helps me to remember that Summer Solstice is over, and autumn is 7 weeks away. I will dance the day that the rains come and wash all the smoke from our air.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #2708
Give me a forum ...

We are getting lots of rain, and I hope you get some too, soon.

We have had intermittent torrential rains for the past week or so. This has been great - - and no tornados or flooding at this point, here, and it has cooled things down. There are times when it is advantageous to live in a humid/wet climate, and I don't really mind it at all (especially after reading about the wildfires out west). Of course, most of us down here have webbed feet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We are getting lots of rain, and I hope you get some too, soon.

We have had intermittent torrential rains for the past week or so. This has been great - - and no tornados or flooding at this point, here, and it has cooled things down. There are times when it is advantageous to live in a humid/wet climate, and I don't really mind it at all (especially after reading about the wildfires out west). Of course, most of us down here have webbed feet.
Your air sounds absolutely delicious! Hopefully the Robbers fire will be under control by this weekend. But, the smoke will be around for awhile because it is so dangerous for the firefighters down in the canyons. I think it's time to get out my gratitude list to keep my spirits up!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #2710

Last week at this time it was 106 degrees. Today it is 80. The fire is 70% contained, and the delta breezes are back - our air is clean! Hats off to the firefighters....
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #2711
Give me a forum ...

Wow...that's wonderful antmary!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #2712
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last week at this time it was 106 degrees. Today it is 80. The fire is 70% contained, and the delta breezes are back - our air is clean! Hats off to the firefighters....
Fantastic news! I am glad for you

We actually got about 20 mins of rain yesterday but are back to near triple-digit temps today. However, based on what I read here from other people, maybe that's not so bad.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #2713
Give me a forum ...

OK Guys, here is an idea to help you endure the hot weather in style.

Dressing Sharp in Hot Weather: The Guayabera | The Art of Manliness

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #2714

Its supposed to be 105,107,107 Friday through Sunday in my part of California.

What the heck did I move to Texas?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #2715
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post

Those temperatures are brutal. I hope you can stay inside in the air conditioning.

By now it is down to 89 here in New Orleans, because of the rain this afternoon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #2716

Quote:

It's "inside afternoons" for the kitties the next few days. I hope the rains come early this year - lots of fires burning in the Sierras
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #2717

Quote:
It's "inside afternoons" for the kitties the next few days. I hope the rains come early this year - lots of fires burning in the Sierras

We almost lost our old house in the tahoe fire a few years ago. Really dry again. When it's this hot I get all my outside work done before noon.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #2718

Quote:
We almost lost our old house in the tahoe fire a few years ago. Really dry again. When it's this hot I get all my outside work done before noon.
It is 4:00am; I decided to stay up. I'll work in the garden until it gets unbearable - around 9:00am! I don't care for the gym, so my weight-lifting will consist of shoveling pebbles into the wheelbarrow, and placing them in strategic areas around the perimeter of the house. Hot afternoons are good naptimes. Then maybe work on a watercolor....
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2719
Give me a forum ...

We just had heavy (but brief) rain. I can't believe it, I had forgotten what it looked, sounded, or smelled like. It's too late for corn, but I think beans will be loving it. Hopefully a sign of things to come at the end of this brutal summer!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #2720

Yeah we don't get rain where I live in the summer. Kind of miss it since I grew up in the Midwest. Miss those summer thunderstorms. Corn crop just is hammered from what I understand. Even in California they are taking advantage of the headlines. Sweet corn went on sale for .44 cents an ear. I suppose if I head to the local farms I could get it a bit cheaper.
Closed Thread