Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #2721
Recycles dryer sheets

Yikes! Isaac is bearing down on our little winter home near Tampa. Thankfully the managers are good at communicating with owners. hope out place isn't destroyed before we even have a chance to enjoy it!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #2722
Recycles dryer sheets

Hopefully it will stay away from your home - the latest track has the center over the gulf. I'm actually hoping it comes up here through Georgia. We could use the rain. Plus I love a good storm.

My wife's home country of Taiwan just had Typhoon Tembin cross the southern tip and is making a crazy loop to hit Taiwan again!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #2723
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday
Hopefully it will stay away from your home - the latest track has the center over the gulf. I'm actually hoping it comes up here through Georgia. We could use the rain. Plus I love a good storm.

My wife's home country of Taiwan just had Typhoon Tembin cross the southern tip and is making a crazy loop to hit Taiwan again!
Oh wow. What are the odds of the same Typhoon hitting twice!

Isaac looks like it might swing East once it hits land. You may get your wish :-)
Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #2724
Full time employment: Posting here.

RitaR551, I hope your Tampa home stays safe and sound.
We could sure use a good soaking rain! They just put out a fire that was 2 miles away as the crow flies.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #2725
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RitaR551, good luck and I hope that Isaac spares your winter home and neighborhood in Florida. At least you are safely away from the area. Doesn't sound like there is much more you can do from there, except wait and hope.

I agree with those in areas experiencing drought. It would be nice if they had more rain, and other areas less. We had an inch today in my neighborhood, and 2.4 inches yesterday, and generally we have had a lot of rainfall this summer. I don't mind it but we really don't need this much. It is always best not to have the ground completely saturated when a tropical storm or hurricane might be headed this way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #2726
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bad news for W2R but better news for all of us in the Tampa/St. Pete area. I am in a level D evacuation zone (in a high spot which is a relative term in FL!) so I'm not concerned about having to evacuate. Much more concerned about a power outage which is a real pain.

If I owned a home, it would have a whole house generator (learned that lesson in 2004) but I live in an apartment so I can't even have a personal generator. I bought the last battery operated table fan at two different BB&B's (one for us, one for mom) so we'll be able to move a little air if we lose power.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #2727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just tried to get gas, but the lines at 3 gas stations were very long already. So, I'll try late at night or very early in the morning. I stopped by a convenience store and the lines were long there, too.

Governor Bobby Jindall is announcing a state of emergency and voluntary evacuations for low-lying areas outside the levee system. We are inside the levee system.

Sounds like the politicians and emergency managers are TCOB. We will wait and see what it looks like tomorrow before we decide whether to scoot or stay.
Fingers crossed for you W2R. You've been though this before and know what do to. Be safe.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #2728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Fingers crossed for you W2R. You've been though this before and know what do to. Be safe.
Yes, W2R....please stay safe and update us if you can.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #2729

W2R - do you have any concern about leaving your house and just heading out? Seems like the men-folk probably want to stay and keep and eye on everything (i.e Frank) but maybe you don't want to leave your house either.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #2730
Give me a forum ...

We're all rooting for you, W2R. Stay safe!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #2731

I'll chime in too - W2R and all those in the path of the hurricane, please do stay safe! I don't mean to sound negative, but I hope you all have a good backup plan in case the levees don't perform as expected.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #2732

W2R - Come down to the Tampa area. We have lots of bottled water to drink and canned food to eat!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #2733
Give me a forum ...

I just checked. The forecast now predicts the storm strengthening to Cat 2, winds to 90mph, and a westward shift of the path that will take it through NO instead of Mobile. This looks scary.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #2734
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is hoping that NOLA is spared as well as south MS as we went through HELL with Ms Katrina.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #2735
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Here is hoping that NOLA is spared as well as south MS as we went through HELL with Ms Katrina.
I will never forget Katrina. And I do remember what folks in MS went though. I recall those images like it was yesterday. Wishing the best for all of our friends on the gulf coast.

Just hope this turns into a big rain storm that brings relief to drought sticken areas. Paws and fingers crossed for all of you.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #2736
Give me a forum ...

Mother Nature is wasting no time. Today is Autumnal Equinox(first day of fall) and tonight is our first frost advisory.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #2737

We had the first below freezing night of the fall last night - 27 degrees
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #2738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak
We had the first below freezing night of the fall last night - 27 degrees
I used to live north of you, in Winnipeg. In 2011 I moved to the interior of BC. Today, the high is 25 degrees C (77 F); yesterday and tomorrow, 27 degrees C (80 F). Nighttime lows 13 degrees C (55 F). Thank you for reminding me why I moved!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #2739
Give me a forum ...

Our forecast this week....highs in the 80's up to Friday, the high on Saturday will be 55.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2740

Today's high:94
Tomorrow: 81 - yea!
Closed Thread