Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #2921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This Spring has been cooler and more wet than any I can remember. Temps in the 50's today and rained several days during the week. Been this way off and on all Spring. Usually feels like early summer by now. Idaho will be warmer than my area today.

Not complaining on the cool temps as I will be bitching about the heat before too long, but I am tired of all the rain. Let it go out West where it is needed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #2922
Administrator

After a week of severe storms, tornados, hail, and flooding, we are really enjoying the spectacular weather this weekend - - highs in the 60's, but still warm enough for shorts because of the bright, bright sunshine and blue skies.

With no rain predicted today, maybe my back yard (the occasional "Lake W2R") can finally dry out.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #2923
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No drought of 2012 so far - all is green and nice, and the concern was more about rivers rising. The only bad thing I learned today is that Steely Dan at Ravinia is sold out

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #2924
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
No drought of 2012 so far - all is green and nice, and the concern was more about rivers rising. The only bad thing I learned today is that Steely Dan at Ravinia is sold out
Too bad. I heard them in an outdoor concert on the gulf coast a couple of years ago. They were darn good.

Nice and sunny here for the next couple of days. Golf course still wet, but I played yesterday anyway. Playing again today.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #2925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

Too bad. I heard them in an outdoor concert on the gulf coast a couple of years ago. They were darn good.

Nice and sunny here for the next couple of days. Golf course still wet, but I played yesterday anyway. Playing again today.
That's great! I get to make a golf fool out of myself in a few weeks, but it'll help ease the Ravinia sorrow

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #2926

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
They're playing two dates, tickets still available for Aug 1st.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #2927

Yucky rainy weather forecast the rest of the week. Enough is enough.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #2928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

They're playing two dates, tickets still available for Aug 1st.
Wow! Drink your big Black Cow and get outta here!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #2929
Give me a forum ...

As suggested by Bestwifeever (to Calgary_Girl) here is a link to some dramatic pictures and video of the floods in Alberta. Here's hoping our friends Calgary_Girl and Danmar are safe.

And yes, there is a cat!

Lesson #1: do not build on a flood plain!

Canmore flood: Pictures, videos of Alberta floods threatening Calgary | Canada | News | National Post
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #2930

It's really hot here, but no spring drought so happy feet. There are a couple of fields nearby that are nice to walk by, this year it's corn. My report includes an elephant's eye.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #2931
Administrator

Hot enough for you this summer? Today we broke the heat record here, 97F (at the airport, probably measured inside a refrigerator under an air conditioner). OK, it's not 100's like in Texas but still it is hot, hot, hot.

It was so hot that I about half died working out at the gym and had to cut my routine short. Air conditioners here help a lot but just cannot seem to keep up with the heat, especially in public places like the gym where people are going in and out the doors all the time. My AC here at home is working valiantly and to get even more comfortable I took a cold shower, dressed skimpily, turned on the overhead fan, and aimed a box fan at my easy chair as well. That plus lots of ice water seems to be just perfect.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hot enough for you this summer?
Just now getting hot, we've been below average all summer. Broke 95 this week, Heat index is 104. Just got through mowing the yard. Hate to see winter come back.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2933
Recycles dryer sheets

A sultry 79 in VA, watching the rain on radar march towards us. I heard this is the 17th straight day we have not hit 90. We are happy with that .
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #2934

They're calling this "the comfy summer" up here. The corn? It looks like it's climbing clear up to the sky

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2935
Give me a forum ...

We have had more rain this summer than any previous summers . The good thing is it has kept the temps down . The bad thing is the chemicals in the pool need constant monitoring .
Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #2936
Recycles dryer sheets

Stinkin' hot in Texas, I'm treating it like January up North. Doing indoor spin classes and staying in the house. I just can't handle over 100. But the neighbors did have their house reroofed this week and the roofers worked all day. Not me!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #2937

7 inches of rain in July, have not used the a/c at all. The swamp (evaporative) cooler runs full time, as one of the pups has bronchitis, and the humidity is good for her cough. I am spending way to much time with the weeds eater. I will have to power up the lawnmower.

Here is my lawnmower at work.

ForumRunner_20130807_174201.png
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #2938
Moderator Emeritus

Crappy summer so far in San Francisco. Temps hovering in the 50s-60s, which is fine with me, but the sun is making itself scarce except for a few hours in the afternoon.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #2939
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Crappy summer so far in San Francisco. Temps hovering in the 50s-60s, which is fine with me, but the sun is making itself scarce except for a few hours in the afternoon.
I guess I never really think of SF as having good weather. It's sort of like Portland, OR, to me. I would not choose to live in either area for the weather, that's for sure.

We have had overcast here in the East Bay the last few mornings, which I hate, but the sunshine peeks out nicely by noon or so.

If you want some better weather on those overcast days, you could head out to Livermore and check out their wineries. They are often 20 degrees or so warmer than here where I live, in the 90s or as high as 100, but usually still have a pleasant breeze to make it more bearable. There is also a nice little downtown area. It's not SF, but it'll be warmer and sunnier.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #2940

Except for the recent bout of frequent rains in the past week this has been a cool summer. Most so far have been in the low to mid 80's and dry. It doesn't get much better than this.