Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #2961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

60's and rain here in southwestern PA today. Tomorrow has a complicated forecast...not quite sure what we will get when (rain, sleet, maybe ice with snow by the evening). I will go into the office in the a.m. but might cancel my p.m. field visit if it is sleeting or icing. I can deal with the snow okay. I have a 4WD beast and also an AWD vehicle but ice terrifies me as nothing does well on that.

I have heard reports that we will have a colder than normal winter with greater precipitation than previous years and other reports that contradict that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #2962
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Warm here today, high 70's. Took the mutt on a 5 mile walk at a local trail and I was sweating like it was early summer. Dragging up some of the hills. Raining the next couple of days and turning cooler. Highs in the upper 40's early next week. There goes the golf.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #2963

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well snow won't stop a 4x4 pickup. Neither will ice, fact is they go very well on ice. Where they end up stopping, who knows. Be very careful.

MRG
I found that out with my first 4WD pickup. They go great in the snow. Don't stop worth a damn.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #2964
Give me a forum ...

I feel for all you guys who are freezing or sliding around on the ice. Out weather is very nice lately. Low to mid 30s during the day, overnight lows low to mid 20s right here in the city. Every day except today sunny. Colder farther out. Over the weekend supposed to have some lows in the teens. I suppose soon enough we will be drowning once more, but so far it has been a dry year. I just took long walk and it felt very nice. It sure helps to have no wind.

Some of you may remember that last February I had an electrician bypass my in-ceiling radiant heat and put in wall mount electric heaters with fans. This is my first shot of cold weather to really try them out, and I am quite pleased. They make a giant improvement. If I had had the panel capacity I would have put in more watts, but this is going to be fine. It is plenty warm, and only runs occasionally rather than continuously, and warms up quickly in the morning or if I have had it turned down while I am out.

Ha
Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #2965

It is a consolation to me that next winter I won't have to stress about driving conditions as I will be retired. I can loll around the house in my pajamas all day if necessary until the roads are clear.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #2966

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
It is a consolation to me that next winter I won't have to stress about driving conditions as I will be retired. I can loll around the house in my pajamas all day if necessary until the roads are clear.
One of the saving graces of winter.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #2967

Quote:
Yes I just heard how morning snow may hurt my morning commute. Nope, I'm not going anywhere I don't want to.

I hated commuting in the snow, 3 different times everybody on the highway stopped, except the person behind me.

MRG
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #2968
Administrator

Quote:
We have been having dense fog in the mornings this week, shutting down the Causeway bridge over Lake Ponchartrain and causing so many traffic problems. I love not having to stress about driving in it to work.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
-22 degrees F
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #2969
Dryer sheet aficionado

-22 degrees F

Just checked the thermostat. Shows minus 22 degrees right now. Don't mind the cold but hard to keep fresh water from freezing for the animals.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #2970

Its still coming down and we are expecting another round into Sunday here in DFW area. The pic is mainly ice vs snow:

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #2971

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Its still coming down and we are expecting another round into Sunday here in DFW area. The pic is mainly ice vs snow:

I have memories of working outside in those conditions. Can't say it was fun but it sure was interesting.

So glad I don't have to now!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #2972
Give me a forum ...

It's a mess here in my burb. A section of 'my' tree broke off from the ice...it was just 3 feet tall when I planted it in 2000. I feel like I've lost a friend.

The other pic is on our street...there is damage to our neighbors trees as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05431.jpg (1,007.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05432.jpg (462.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #2973
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That's DFW!!!!!!

I assumed that was Minnesota or something. Wow!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #2974
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's a mess here in my burb. A section of 'my' tree broke off from the ice...it was just 3 feet tall when I planted it in 2000. I feel like I've lost a friend. The other pic is on our street...there is damage to our neighbors trees as well.
Wow. Sorry about your tree. Stay warm and in your house, all you Texans!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #2975
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I managed to fly out of DFW airport last night... we had a long delay while they performed engine ice inspection, de-icing the plane, antifreezing the plane, etc... but we made it out.

My business plans had me originally leaving this morning, but I managed to change my flight yesterday - a good thing since today's flight (and most of my alternative choices) have been cancelled.

At times like these, RE really comes to mind.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #2976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
56 yesterday, 26 today, snow forecast for Sunday. Saw that the Dallas Cowboys are packing arctic gear for their game in Chicago monday night
Tell them to bring back a victory, too.. I need 9 wins to win my season over bet!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #2977
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Wow. Sorry about your tree. Stay warm and in your house, all you Texans!
Thanks... I loved that tree. The pink blossoms in the summer emitted a heavenly scent.

Earlier this morning a man pulled up to our house and took a pic. At first I thought he might be from the local newspaper. But then I figured more than likely he's from a tree removal service. We'll probably be bombarded with calls soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #2978
Give me a forum ...

Time for bbbamI to put a pot of chili on the stove. Make it spicy too.

Tomorrow, we are headed to an out-of-town resort that is forecasted with a 15F low. It is just as cold as our 2nd home at 7000 ft. Too bad that we booked and prepaid this 6 months in advance.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's DFW!!!!!!

I assumed that was Minnesota or something. Wow!!!!
Yep, reminds me of our first Thankgiving in Texas back in 1993, if anyone can remember the ice bowl. Just got done chipping away the ice from in front of our garage door and I can't feel my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I managed to fly out of DFW airport last night... we had a long delay while they performed engine ice inspection, de-icing the plane, antifreezing the plane, etc... but we made it out.

My business plans had me originally leaving this morning, but I managed to change my flight yesterday - a good thing since today's flight (and most of my alternative choices) have been cancelled.

At times like these, RE really comes to mind.
You were lucky to get out, I don't think many flights are taking off today, but there have been a few landings.

bbbamI, sorry to hear about your tree; that and power outages are big reasons I hate these ice storms. Much worse than snow.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #2980
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I managed to fly out of DFW airport last night... we had a long delay while they performed engine ice inspection, de-icing the plane, antifreezing the plane, etc... but we made it out. My business plans had me originally leaving this morning, but I managed to change my flight yesterday - a good thing since today's flight (and most of my alternative choices) have been cancelled. At times like these, RE really comes to mind.
DS actually flew into Dallas yesterday afternoon.... D'oh! Supposed to fly out Sunday night back to Chicago. Both cities have bad forecasts for Sunday. Double d'oh.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote