Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #3061

Temp got into the 20's so I went for a hike. Next arctic blast is coming soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01242014 McKinley Woods11.jpg (1,016.0 KB, 27 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #3062
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't mind the winter weather too much. Great exercise shoveling and snowblowing. Only regret, bitter cold to go hiking. Felt like my face was frozen so had to quit fairly early and my black pickup is now white from road salt. More snow coming today.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #3063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Not sure whether to post here or one of the the car threads. DW's new Honda Accord has been a garage queen since it snowed. My gosh, we can't have it getting dirty!

My once-pristine pickup now looks like I've been slaving in a salt mine.
That is funny, because the exact same thing is happening at our house. DH's new black Camry (over a yr old now) is the garage queen at our house. DH takes me to work my 3 days per week, so that he can use my car the rest of the day. Works for me! He told me that he washed it and the corvette yesterday.

I agree that the cold and the snow is getting old and it doesn't look like it is going to be letting up any time soon. Will need to shovel driveways again when it quits snowing.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #3064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
When will it be safe to go back to Ohio?
If I were you, I would try to stay until April, at least. Definitely a cold winter this year.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #3065

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Right now I'm kind of thinking June would be good.
+1
Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #3066

Very cold with bursts of light fluffy snow occasionally here in southwestern PA. Have not seen my snow plow guy but I am guessing he won't come until tomorrow a.m. No use shoveling a little myself. I did that yesterday and the wind blew it all over the walks in short order.

I plan to stay at home and get caught up on housekeeping tasks today (I still w*rk). I might breakdown and rent a pay-per-view movie: Blue Jasmine.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #3067
Administrator

We had sleet and freezing rain yesterday and last night here in New Orleans, but today we are expecting a big warm-up with temperatures approaching 60F.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #3068

Dreamer, Corvette caught my attention. What year corvette do you have? Ours are snug in the garage for the winter.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #3069

My little sister lives in an Atlanta, GA suburb and told me that she even saw snow there. For about ten minutes.

One of her neighbors hails from Chicago and for some reason hauled his snow thrower down there. He eventually sold it to another neighbor moving to MN.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #3070
Recycles dryer sheets

Snowing now in central MN. Blizzard warning for tomorrow. Then temps drop way down for Monday, I think the high is -12 F. Most likely the kiddos will be staying home from school (again). Our local ice fishing contest was today and DH went. He said it was pretty much miserable due to the cold and nasty wind. I told DH today that I will be heading south during the winter after I retire with or without him . We will see how that works out .
Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #3071

I just got this picture from some friends in my home town. The blizzard went through here last night and is in full force there right now. Zero visibility and no travel advised. You can sort of see where the road is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1654350_10151844341691574_2127252910_n.jpg (21.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #3072
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was something on the news a day or two ago here......our average at this point is 31-32 inches...we have 9 so far this year. Doesn't seem to be anything coming this way to talk about in the next 10 days....so if we don't get a good late season dump the agriculture world around here is going to be very unhappy.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #3073

I thought the storm was over here; a half hour ago the sun was shining. It changed in a matter of minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012614 in Mandan.jpg (238.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #3074
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the major highways here just closed due to blizzard. I have no recollection of that ever happening here before. This winter will go down in the record books, that's for sure.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #3075
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of North Dakota was under a blizzard warning and no travel advised with the two major highways shut down all day due to dangerous blizzard conditions. This is my 3rd week in ER and I read the weather forecast for Bismarck, ND from my iPad while sitting on the beach here in Grand Cayman IslandHa! It is almost enough to fill guilty! NOT! I am loving ER!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #3076

Oops - saw this while taking DW to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01272014 stucktruck.jpg (675.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #3077
Administrator

What an attention-grabbing forecast for New Orleans!

Quote:
[...]SNOW AMOUNTS OF ONE TO TWO INCHES AND POSSIBLY HIGHER IN SNOW BANDS AS WELL AS SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF A QUARTER INCH TO A HALF INCH ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA. TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME DIFFICULT DUE TO ICY ROADS AND BRIDGES DURING THE DAY ON TUESDAY. IN AREAS WHERE SIGNIFICANT FREEZING RAIN OCCURS...SPORADIC POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE. THE HIGHEST POTENTIAL FOR FREEZING RAIN WILL BE ACROSS SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA SOUTH OF LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS.
(emphasis mine)
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Pretty exciting! It has been years since we had anything like this. Sounds like tomorrow might be a good day to just stay home. We aren't used to this kind of wintry mix, and even though F knows how to drive in it, the other drivers can't and create an extremely hazardous situation. We have zero snow/ice removal equipment here.

Meanwhile, right now, it is 63F outside.... Simply amazing!

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #3078
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What an attention-grabbing forecast for New Orleans!

(emphasis mine)
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Pretty exciting! It has been years since we had anything like this. Sounds like tomorrow might be a good day to just stay home. We aren't used to this kind of wintry mix, and even though F knows how to drive in it, the other drivers can't and create an extremely hazardous situation. We have zero snow/ice removal equipment here.

Meanwhile, right now, it is 63F outside.... Simply amazing!
That weather system is headed our way tomorrow night. Right now it's in the mid-50's. No snow removal equipment here either - hoping w*rk will have to shut down for a day or two.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #3079
Moderator Emeritus

We have hit our high temp for the day. 0.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #3080
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard an interesting interview with a guy who studies insects. One advantage of this cold weather is that is should drive down the numbers of certain species of the insects that have been killing trees and other plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/ny...e-insects.html