Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #3161
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
As a current winter Professional, I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am of you Amateurs! Twenty four hours ago:

Attachment 18115
Nevertheless, it is beautiful, but does not make me miss my snow blower, although I still own a shovel, ugh.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #3162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haven't had mail picked up in 2 days. Appears that everyone's cleared out mailboxes. Oh well nobody's gonna send me a check.
MRG
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #3163

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know how to drive in this stuff and at my age I don't want to learn.
Aw, it isn't that hard, and learning it is downright fun if you do it off public roads. I got it for free in training on a high speed track and skid pad but this can't be the only place that has classes: Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Raceway

While that one is in WV no doubt there's someplace closer to you that has similar classes.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #3164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Aw, it isn't that hard, and learning it is downright fun if you do it off public roads. I got it for free in training on a high speed track and skid pad but this can't be the only place that has classes: Accident Avoidance | Summit Point Raceway

While that one is in WV no doubt there's someplace closer to you that has similar classes.
I would like a lot more snow out here. Currently driving a Subaru Forester with nice Winter tires on it...I have a heck of a time even getting my car to slide. Damn thing sticks to the ground like crazy. Sometimes I wish I still had my old Datsun pickup that had rear wheel drive and was really light in the back.....could go around corners sideways without hardly trying. Nothing like practicing these skills in a school parking lot (preferably without cars in the lot) or something so you can't destroy anything.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #3165

Three inches of solid ice covering our 300+ feet of driveway. First time the temps are projected to get up to freezing will be Saturday afternoon, at which time more snow is predicted.

I'm just glad I have plenty of PeopleChow in the larder and plenty of birdseed on hand for our feathered friends.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #3166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Perhaps like beauty, fun is in the eye of the beholder.

It turned out to be mostly rain this afternoon after that initial ice and sleet, so although Frank drove it really wasn't a problem. Still, I was glad he was at the wheel instead of me, in case it got worse.

I am just SO glad that I was not coping with 3 inches of solid ice, like Braumeister! Or shoveling snow like BestWifeEver's DH did yesterday in that photo.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #3167
Moderator Emeritus

My recent (this week) trip to North Dakota reminded me of the 30+ years I lived in Connecticut and Michigan. I had a taste of 0 F to -17 F (not including wind chill) and I realized why I moved to Texas. It's so cold up there it can't snow.

Got off the plane tonight and it was a balmy 35 F (didn't even put on the parka!).
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #3168
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My recent (this week) trip to North Dakota reminded me of the 30+ years I lived in Connecticut and Michigan. I had a taste of 0 F to -17 F (not including wind chill) and I realized why I moved to Texas. It's so cold up there it can't snow.

Got off the plane tonight and it was a balmy 35 F (didn't even put on the parka!).
You need to move to North Texas, and then you might have a chance to put on your parka
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #3169

As cold as this winter has been I'm grateful we still haven't had anything like this 2 1/2 foot snow in 2010. But it's still February and if we get hammered that's usually the month it happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow_2010.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #3170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
You need to move to North Texas, and then you might have a chance to put on your parka
Yes, DFW area is good for an occasional ice storm. I have been there and done that, so to say. And I have been snowed in for two days at the Amarillo airport.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #3171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, DFW area is good for an occasional ice storm. I have been there and done that, so to say. And I have been snowed in for two days at the Amarillo airport.
The humanity...

In Dec '06, I think it was, exGF and I were flying to San Diego for Christmas. The stopover was in Denver. It was snowing sideways. We waited on the runway for some time, were de-iced, then off we went. We were the last flight out before the airport was closed for three days. That would have sucked mightily!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #3172
Moderator Emeritus

It's been raining now for a few days and it should continue all weekend (this has been the longest wet spell since we moved to the west coast almost 2 years ago). I am not complaining tough as we needed the rain. And hopefully it will make for a nice spring wildflower show in the mountains.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #3173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
It's been raining now for a few days and it should continue all weekend (this has been the longest wet spell since we moved to the west coast almost 2 years ago). I am not complaining tough as we needed the rain. And hopefully it will make for a nice spring wildflower show in the mountains.
Amen to that!

Nobody is complaining about the rain here in NoCal this weekend.

We're only about 10% of normal this year...after a couple of dry years.

Let it rain!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #3174
Give me a forum ...

63F here where I am, and sunny. Just went for a walk around the neighborhood. It will hit the high 70s this weekend.

Hard to believe that in TX, as far south as Houston, it is down to 37F.

Meanwhile, Miami is up to 83F. I would have to run the A/C if it's that warm.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #3175

We keep telling ourselves "Only three weeks until March, only three weeks...."

By then we start to see improvement.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #3176

While using an axe (yes, really) to chop through enough ice to get the garage door open this morning, I suddenly had the thought that I should really be grateful for the opportunity to someday say ...

"Why, this is nothing. NOTHING, I tell ya! I remember back in the winter of '14 ..."
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #3177

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
"Why, this is nothing. NOTHING, I tell ya! I remember back in the winter of '14 ..."
I have some cousins who live in Buffalo, NY. They do indeed have some stories. The snowfalls we count in inches they count in feet.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #3178

Yeah, I lived in Syracuse 68-71, and the average annual snowfall was 155 inches. That "lake effect" is pretty powerful.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #3179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have some cousins who live in Buffalo, NY. They do indeed have some stories. The snowfalls we count in inches they count in feet.
My inlaws lived in Hamburg near Buffalo in the 70's. We used to visit from CT when the kids were small. We were there visiting for the blizzard '78 (year correct?). Snow to the roof top...
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #3180

Quote:
My inlaws lived in Hamburg near Buffalo in the 70's. We used to visit from CT when the kids were small. We were there visiting for the blizzard '78 (year correct?). Snow to the roof top...
My favorite is the one when they got 7 feet of snow in one day. My cousin couldn't get the outside doors open so he had to climb out a 2nd floor window to shovel out enough to open the storm door. Seems at that point one starts to think in terms of tunneling rather than shoveling.