Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #3441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
All you folks in New England stay warm and safe. I'll be rooting for you down here in Az for the Super Bowl!

For the NY'ers....your mayor should be ashamed! Seriously, shutting down the subways over 6 inches? Thought the city was tougher than that.
They are tough and the powers that be were very smart to shut down all transportation systems in the face of a storm like this.
Imagine for every person or group stuck in the subway or on the highway, a rescue crew is busy getting them out instead of responding to real emergencies (accident, fire, medical).

Check the snowfall amounts for Long Island. Not that far away from the heart of the Big Apple.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #3442
Give me a forum ...

The CBC weather lady said last night that the latest American weather models accurately predicted the location of the storm but that decisions were being made based on a European model that forecast the storm's location to be 75 km west of where it actually was. That relatively short distance made the difference for NYC. Obviously the weather forecasters and governments need to rethink their modeling.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #3443
Give me a forum ...

You should really check out Cliff Mass's blog on weather . He had a good discussion on the recent snow storm predictions. Check out the 1/27/2015 blog entry.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #3444
Full time employment: Posting here.

The technology still has difficulty with the amount of snowfall especially in a given location. If there is a 50/50 chance that New York gets hit with 30 inches of snow and 75 mile/hour winds, then the city leaders need to take that into account. If there is only 10% chance, then maybe they can roll the dice.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #3445
Give me a forum ...

All I know is that so far, the 7 state travel ban prevented deaths from idiots insisting on being out on the highways, getting stuck, and nobody could rescue them, trapped in their cars for 12 plus hours with no heat and possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Weather prediction is a funny thing, especially in the face of blizzard conditions. In the Northeast, that means 65 plus mph winds plus any amount of snow. The roads and airports and subways and trains get closed for a very good reason.

Hooray to the governors and mayors who closed ALL transportation ahead of Juno, so no unnecessary deaths (accident and/or hypothermia) happened.

During the big Buffalo storm a month or so ago, hundreds of cars were stranded on the NYS Thruway. Most survived the 24 hour ordeal, but not all.

I live in Lake Ontario lake effect snow country, which is not to be sneezed at. I've never seen a storm in central NY that even approached the fury of Juno. Many places to the east of my home got thrashed in a very short time, some got thrashed for 48 hours.

Coastal areas along the Atlantic Ocean in NY and CT and RI and MA are simply destroyed. Ouch !

CLOSING THE ROADS save lives.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #3446
Give me a forum ...

I apologize in advance for being on the edge of a rant...BUT...

I want to see the statistics about how many, IF ANY, stranded motorists died as a result of hypothermia, or how many people got trapped in the subterranean areas (no heat by the way), and on the positive side, how many babies were safely delivered, how many elderly persons did not freeze to death, etc etc.

Armchair quarterbacking after the fact is not allowed here.
If you don't live in snow country, well then...where is my favorite image of a zipper ?

Western folks in the mountains know about all this. Easterners know all about this. Flyover country folks know all about this.

And by all means, ask the residents of Scituate MA and Marshfield MA, both oceanfront (not resorts but old fashioned New England fishing towns), how far off the NWS forecasters were. Ocean fishing boats, most privately owned, were all in port versus out to sea when all hell broke loose.

Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Perfect Storm" ? This last event was damn close to that, meteorologically.

End of rant.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #3447
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I apologize in advance for being on the edge of a rant...BUT...

I want to see the statistics about how many, IF ANY, stranded motorists died as a result of hypothermia, or how many people got trapped in the subterranean areas (no heat by the way), and on the positive side, how many babies were safely delivered, how many elderly persons did not freeze to death, etc etc.

Armchair quarterbacking after the fact is not allowed here.
If you don't live in snow country, well then...where is my favorite image of a zipper ?

Western folks in the mountains know about all this. Easterners know all about this. Flyover country folks know all about this.

And by all means, ask the residents of Scituate MA and Marshfield MA, both oceanfront (not resorts but old fashioned New England fishing towns), how far off the NWS forecasters were. Ocean fishing boats, most privately owned, were all in port versus out to sea when all hell broke loose.

Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Perfect Storm" ? This last event was damn close to that, meteorologically.

End of rant.
You forgot "GET OFF MY LAWN!"...

We (DFW-area) are ill-equipped for snow/ice, and I'm happy to STFH when it does.

Did you get to see George Clooney?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #3448

Hey, no complaints from me when it doesn't snow!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #3449
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
We (DFW-area) are ill-equipped for snow/ice, and I'm happy to STFH when it does.
I believe it! Most of us here in New Orleans are better at dealing with Mardi Gras than dealing with snow or ice.

My post earlier on the thread is great proof.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1548764

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #3450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You forgot "GET OFF MY LAWN!"...

Did you get to see George Clooney?
Ok, get off my lawn...so you don't freeze your feet.
It's covered with snow right now.

No George Clooney sightings.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #3451
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10931255_659415510830052_1498943422523113747_n.jpg (70.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #3452
Give me a forum ...

It has been fairly good in SW PA. Maybe not so good in some parts of Canada.

By the way does your snowplow work this good?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #3453

Is99, That train video was amazing!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #3454

beautiful weather.... nice and white.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #3455

Thanks ls99 I might need that plow by Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #3456

I feel for you folks in NY and Boston area. Stay safe.

Some of my cousins in Buffalo, NY have neat war stories to tell!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #3457
Give me a forum ...

Here's the snowfall picture so far...not too bad where I am, but just 15 miles to the north on the Tug Hill Plateau...
The snowmobilers are very happy. It's great for local businesses to have all those snow tourists coming up here.

NERFC Snow Page

Living out in the country with this kind of snowfall is one thing because there is plenty of open area to get it off the roads.
Urban areas have to be completely blocked in by the white stuff.

My back deck is covered with about 2 feet of snow. I had to cut a narrow path to the generator under the enclosed porch yesterday. Today I had to shave snow off the piled up snowbanks that reached the bottom of my mailbox.

And it is still snowing...I'll take some pics and post them.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #3458
Give me a forum ...

Snow in East Nowhere NY as of Feb 9, 2015.
Mailbox and recently carved out layers of snow-ologic time, back deck (26 inches measured freefall snow in the middle), driveway snow hilled up by snowplow in front of a 6 foot wooden fence, 30 gallon garbage can on front steps, and scale for back deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowfall-Feb2015-1NoNumber.jpg (126.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snowfall-Feb2015-2 (2).jpg (524.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snowfall-Feb2015-5 (2).jpg (595.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snowfall-Feb2015-4 (2).jpg (488.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snowfall-Feb2015-3 (2).jpg (386.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #3459
Moderator Emeritus

Holy cow! That's a lot of snow. Stay safe (and warm if possible!)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #3460
Moderator Emeritus

Brings back nightmares of me living in Connecticut. I spoke with my sister today in CT and mentioned to her it was 80 F here yesterday and I cut the grass.