Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #3601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
... why can't we consider a pipeline from East to West, bringing a flow of water from our excessive rain when it occurs from our soon to be flooded rivers and streams to...California? I guess there's not much $$ in water compared to oil...but one can dream about a life that makes sense...
I wonder if anyone has bothered to study how big a pipe it would take to pump water to quench California thirst. Recently, in my travel I stopped by a visitor center and saw the impressive 9' diameter pipe that they put in to bring water from Owens Valley down to the LA area. This is part of the LA aqueduct that they built 100 years ago! Holly Molly! All that water is now just a drop in the bucket that is needed.

They need a LOT of water. We may need to divert Niagara Falls.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #3602
Give me a forum ...

Pumping water to California is hard. Growing traditional California crops where water is more available is far easier and efficient.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #3603
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hot up here in Calgary...summer is starting off with a bang! 31C today and 32C tomorrow (that's roughly 94F and 96F for you Yanks)! Never had air conditioning growing up here but the past few summers have been scorchers so we had AC installed three years ago...money well spent! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #3604
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Hot up here in Calgary...summer is starting off with a bang! 31C today and 32C tomorrow (that's roughly 94F and 96F for you Yanks)! Never had air conditioning growing up here but the past few summers have been scorchers so we had AC installed three years ago...money well spent! :-)
Not typical weather here either. I'm located 2,700 kilometers (~1,700 miles) south of you and haven't seen temps that high this year - at least not yet.

Yes, I'm in full agreement that money for AC is money well spent.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #3605
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

They need a LOT of water. We may need to divert Niagara Falls.
Send a fleet of trucks to upstate NY, pronto.

It's been nothing BUT rain for most of June. I actually have to schedule my lawn mowing to a specific day in between weather fronts.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #3606
Give me a forum ...

You can have my a/c when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #3607
Give me a forum ...

Too much rain or not enough, which is worse?

Right now in the West, it's heat! I just looked at a national map, and saw high temperature of 100F+ all over the west. I have been using close to 100kWh daily. Gah! If we have a power outage, there will be a lot of people expiring from the heat.

I will be heading up to my high-country hideout soon. Temperature in the 80s up there, and dry too. Nice.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #3608
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You can have my a/c when you pry it from my coldHot desiccated, dead hands...
FIFY
Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #3609
Give me a forum ...

Water shortage in California is just a small hint that there are way too many Californians.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #3610
Give me a forum ...

It's HAWT! When I first made this post, my temp gauge showed 103.8. Ten minutes later, it's 104.3.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #3611
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's HAWT! When I first made this post, my temp gauge showed 103.8. Ten minutes later, it's 104.3.
Muggy as heck here. Played golf this morning and was soaked from head to toe afterward. The temp is 97 but the RealFeel is 114 FWIW. Been cuddling with the a/c this afternoon.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #3612
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow! It's really HOT there! It is hot, hot, hot here but not as hot as it is there. I just don't have any energy in this heat.

Yesterday the heat broke records but even so, it was only 99 officially. It has been over 90 every day this month, but not over 100 like you are experiencing.

Stay cool! Lots of cool showers, AC+fans, ice water to drink, I know you know the drill! I am so happy that I have good AC.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #3613
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Muggy as heck here. Played golf this morning and was soaked from head to toe afterward. The temp is 97 but the RealFeel is 114 FWIW. Been cuddling with the a/c this afternoon.
Wow...you must be in excellent physical condition to play golf in this heat! All I've done is walked out on the patio a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! It's really HOT there! It is hot, hot, hot here but not as hot as it is there. I just don't have any energy in this heat.

Yesterday the heat broke records but even so, it was only 99 officially. It has been over 90 every day this month, but not over 100 like you are experiencing.

Stay cool! Lots of cool showers, AC+fans, ice water to drink, I know you know the drill! I am so happy that I have good AC.
I know the feeling, I don't either W2R. ...and like you I'm happy to have a good AC.

I think I was about 13 years old when we got our first air conditioner. We lived in southeast Missouri. It wasn't as hot there as it is here, but the humidity was higher. I can't imagine going without AC now.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #3614

I am so thankful for AC. 100+ and smoky on top of it...feeling sorry for the firefighters! I am thankful it's dry heat...but so looking forward to Fall rains!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #3615

Offer a prayer of thanks to Willis Carrier, who is credited with inventing air conditioning as we know it. There were earlier refrigeration systems but they were dangerous since they used ammonia.

And yeah, I'm staying inside this week.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #3616
Give me a forum ...

The Pacific NW is very dry and hot. Our forests make me think of matchsticks.

Our recent fires have started on agricultural land that looks like it was recently harvested. Straw left in small piles can spontaneously combust, power equipment exhausts can start a fire as well.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #3617
Give me a forum ...

The heat index in a town in Iran has reached 165F (74C) in the last couple of days. The air temperature is a mere 115F (46C), but the dew point is 90F (32C) making it so miserable. No word on any fatalities.

The above heat index is not the world record however. The highest ever attained was in Saudi Arabia in 2003 at 178F (81C), with air temperature of 108F (42C) and dew point of 95F (35C). Do we feel lucky yet with our AC? Until the power is out, we do not know how tough life could be.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #3618
Give me a forum ...

Great Lakes region has been wet but relatively cool this summer (high of 80 today.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #3619

Just moved permanently back to N England from the Spokane area. It's been a pretty decent Summer here.....but it's a nice day when it hits 70. If it gets to 80 people start complaining. I think we have had one 80+ day this Summer.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #3620
Give me a forum ...

Brace yourselves for a cold snap - National - NZ Herald News
Brace yourselves for a cold snap

10:04 AM Sunday Aug 9, 2015

No not here, in New Zealand