Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #3621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Just moved permanently back to N England from the Spokane area.
That must be quite an adjustment. Perhaps when you feel ready you can share your perspective on it in a new thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #3622
Administrator

It was 101F here yesterday, another record broken. It has been in the upper 90's or 100 every day recently. It's 100F out there as I type. But then, that's New Orleans in August for you. I have no complaints. Maybe a few whines, but no complaints.

At least there haven't been any hurricanes threatening us so far. Gulf of Mexico waters are heating up, and heat energy can strengthen hurricanes.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #3623
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its been 103F here for days, but 106 today. As long as the A/C keeps working, and there's water in our pool, I'm OK!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #3624
Give me a forum ...

I have been tackling some projects outside of the home. It is unbearably hot at 104F, and when you are under the brutal sun ray, it's miserable. I could work only about 2 hours in the morning, and another hour before sunset. Why can't we have some overcast sky for a change?

Weather forecast says the high will get down to the mid 80s in the next few days. It's about time. And further out, for October they say the Gulf states will be way below normal, while the Southwest will be below normal. I can use that.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #3625
Administrator

October weather in New Orleans is fabulous, and it started out beautifully. Today's high was 83F, with sunshine, a light breeze, and low humidity. Perfectly delightful. These lovely temperatures are predicted to remain for quite some time.

― B. Lee

Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #3626

Looks like we may be in for an El Nino winter. For us that usually means a much warmer and drier than normal winter. For other parts of the country it usually means lots of rain for the west coast and lots of snow for the east. During the last major El Nino in the winter of 97-98 we maybe had 2 inches of snow all winter and temperatures seldom below zero.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #3627

I wonder how my friends in the low country Carolinas are doing with the record rain?
Probably a good time to own a canoe.

From weather underground:

"10/04/2015 0900 am

3 miles SSW of Shadowmoss, Charleston County.

Heavy rain m22.47 inch, reported by cocorahs.

Storm total accumulation over last 60 hours. Resulted
in severe flooding... many homes surrounded by water and
many roads impassable. "

"Precautionary/preparedness actions...

This is a life threatening situation. If you are asked to
evacuate by officials... do so. Do not drive around police
barricades. The water across the Road will likely be too deep to
cross safely. Do not play in flood waters. Be alert to wildlife
that may have been displaced by flood waters. This includes
alligators and snakes."

Doesn't sound good.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #3628
Moderator Emeritus

Just watched some scary footage about South Carolina flooding. Hang in there, Sarah and everyone else getting darned wet from the recirdbreakng rain.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #3629

It is snowing this morning. Big, fluffy flakes. It's starting to stick to the roads. I didn't get my house closed in yet. It should clear up in the next couple of days. Hopefully, I will be closed in in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #3630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
It is snowing this morning. Big, fluffy flakes. It's starting to stick to the roads. I didn't get my house closed in yet. It should clear up in the next couple of days. Hopefully, I will be closed in in the next couple of weeks.
What does it mean to have a house "closed in", I never heard that term before?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #3631

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Hermit is building his home and he probably means he doesn't have all the exterior walls up. I'm pretty sure his last pics showed the roof on. It's a construction term in our area for when a house is still open to the elements.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #3632

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Splitwdw is correct. Here is my house during this morning's snow. Still have to finish the sheathing on the back and add windows and doors. Then it will be "closed in".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0994.jpg (541.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.jpg (444.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #3633

Quote:
Splitwdw is correct. Here is my house during this morning's snow. Still have to finish the sheathing on the back and add windows and doors. Then it will be "closed in".
Looks like it will be a very nice house, hope your construction can continue without any weather impacts.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #3634
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I recall, you have been building this house for 2-3 years and doing a lot of the work yourself. When do you anticipate moving in?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #3635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As I recall, you have been building this house for 2-3 years and doing a lot of the work yourself. When do you anticipate moving in?
It certainly seems like 2-3 years to me too! I looked back in my records and ground was broken in June of 2014 and the foundation work was completed in July last summer. That is when I actually started working on the framing, so I have been working on the house for a year and a few months. I had a lot of good weather during the fall last year and worked on it into December. I stopped when I had the floor in place and didn't start working on it again until this spring. This year I will have a wood stove going and be able to work on the inside through the winter. I'm hoping to have it completed this time next year, but it is quite slow and I have never built a house before, so it is just a guess.

I am having fun, but it sure is a lot of w*rk!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #3636

You're house progress looks good, Hermit! Windows, doors, house wrap and a little heat and you'll be set for winter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #3637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
You're house progress looks good, Hermit! Windows, doors, house wrap and a little heat and you'll be set for winter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll post a picture or two when I get to that stage. (But probably to a more appropriate thread, although I must say I have been living very close to Mother Nature the last year and a half or so.)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #3638
Give me a forum ...

Wow - can't believe that monster hurricane (Patricia) that seemed to come out of nowhere. It was only a tropical storm yesterday. Can't believe something got that big, that fast - no time for folks to prepare. Landfall at 165mph dang!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #3639
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - can't believe that monster hurricane (Patricia) that seemed to come out of nowhere. It was only a tropical storm yesterday. Can't believe something got that big, that fast - no time for folks to prepare. Landfall at 165mph dang!
+1

I hope all of our members in its path were able to leave ahead of this monstrous hurricane.

Audrey, from what I understand, Patricia is headed for Texas too, and I sure hope it loses intensity before arriving there. Here in New Orleans we are told to expect a lot of rain early next week but arising from just the remnants of Patricia and not a hurricane.

― B. Lee

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #3640

Woke up to well over a foot of snow this morning. It is still snowing. Wasn't expecting that! My guess is about 16 inches right now. The weather people said 1-4 inches. The bad news is my snow shovel is up at the house and I never even thought about putting the chains on the plow truck yet.

Hope the ski slopes got some of this!