Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #3641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm hearing about the flooding in the Midwest, particularly Missouri. It reminded me of the badness sometime (I think) in the 90s. I went down to StL long after the Mississippi had crested and was down by the Arch. There were lots of efforts that year to go over and help to sandbag.

If you've been there, you know there are quite a few steps going down to the river. We sat at the top of those steps and looked down to see stop signs near the bottom STILL almost completely submerged by the water. Terrible stuff!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #3642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flooding on the East coast, not nearly as bad, but made hiking trails "around the lake" being poorly named for the hiking trails "in the lake". However, I'll take that over the snow Wisconsin just got where people showed drifting up to their butts.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #3643

They're saying this is the strongest El Niño since 1997. That year saw really major flooding of the Ohio River around here. Where we lived at the time was practically cut off when the main roads flooded -- the only way in or out involved long, circuitous routing through little country roads.

We could be on the verge of another flood this year. If the rain doesn't let up it could be similar to 97. So I have a lot of empathy for the poor folks in places where they are going through it now.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #3644
Give me a forum ...

Time for that song by Adamo again.

Tombe La Neige (1963) by Adamo

Tombe la neige / Snow falls
Tu ne viendras pas ce soir / You will not come tonight
Tombe la neige / Snow falls
Et mon cœur s'habille de noir/ And my heart is dressed in black
Ce soyeux cortège / This silky procession
Tout en larmes blanches / All in white tears
L'oiseau sur la branche / The bird on the branch
Pleure le sortilège / Weeps a magic spell

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #3645

Winter has arrived. I am not leaving the house today. These are NOT wind chill temps.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #3646
Give me a forum ...

The Army Corps of Engineers is preparing to open the Bonnet Carre Spillway that will divert some Mississippi River water southwards before it reaches New Orleans. This spillway is just upstream from New Orleans.

They are thinking about opening another, much more serious diversion farther upstream at Baton Rouge, called the Morganza Floodway. This is not taken lightly and is hardly ever done, because it will flood a great deal of other land in less populated areas in order to save New Orleans. Lots of water on the way and we will probably be fine, but at the expense of other Louisianians. That is never a good feeling. But, it may be the wisest decision under the circumstances.

Nodak, yesterday's high was 70F here. Today's is predicted to be 50F so our temperatures, while warmer, are pretty much a rollercoaster ride this week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #3647

I discovered what happens to soap bubbles in freezing temps when I was a child. Here's an example.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #3648
Give me a forum ...

That is really neat, Nodak! I have never seen anything like that before, and had no idea.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #3649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That is really neat, Nodak! I have never seen anything like that before, and had no idea.
Here's another one for your entertainment:

Nunavut tea toss photo at -40 C proves internet gold - North - CBC News
Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #3650
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow!!!! I had NO idea. Pretty amazing, and beautiful photo too. Thanks, Meadbh and Nodak.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #3651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Army Corps of Engineers is preparing to open the Bonnet Carre Spillway that will divert some Mississippi River water southwards before it reaches New Orleans. This spillway is just upstream from New Orleans.

They are thinking about opening another, much more serious diversion farther upstream at Baton Rouge, called the Morganza Floodway. This is not taken lightly and is hardly ever done, because it will flood a great deal of other land in less populated areas in order to save New Orleans. Lots of water on the way and we will probably be fine, but at the expense of other Louisianians. That is never a good feeling. But, it may be the wisest decision under the circumstances.
OK, it's on live TV - - they just opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway for the first time since 2011. This is just upstream from New Orleans. It's so impressive to watch all that water being diverted away from the usual Mississippi River channel, through other routes to the Gulf of Mexico in order to lower the river height down here in New Orleans.

That will help but the big one is the Morganza Floodwy which is much more rarely opened; I suspect they will need to open it soon as well, given the flooding going on further north.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #3652

Reminds me of the only time I was in -40 degree weather, many years ago in Iceland. I was fascinated because it's the only point where Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales coincide. Damn chilly! The wind chill brought it down nearer -60, and the blowing snow made it necessary to have ropes between the doors of the buildings so you could guide yourself hand over hand.

This morning we had the first snow of the season here. Just about a half inch, but so beautiful.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #3653

My parents had many farmer friends. When we would go to visit in the winter they all had ropes at about shoulder height that led from their houses to the barn and the garage so they could find their way in blizzard conditions. Most farmers around here now live in town and of those that still live on the farms there are very few that keep cattle and garages are attached to the houses. There is no longer any great need for the guide ropes.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #3654
Give me a forum ...

A friend from back in PA sent me this, it's really for the Watertown NY area. Eighty inches of snow, no thanks.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Nat...?m=y&smobile=y
Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #3655
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, it's on live TV - - they just opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway for the first time since 2011. This is just upstream from New Orleans. It's so impressive to watch all that water being diverted away from the usual Mississippi River channel, through other routes to the Gulf of Mexico in order to lower the river height down here in New Orleans.

That will help but the big one is the Morganza Floodwy which is much more rarely opened; I suspect they will need to open it soon as well, given the flooding going on further north.
Good bye Morgan City.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #3656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Good bye Morgan City.
Could be. From Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganza_Spillway

Quote:
At risk in the Atchafalaya Basin are Morgan City (population 13,500), various smaller populated places, many farms, thousands of oil and gas wells, and considerable swampland. Inhabitants know that the region is a natural floodplain, and the Corps of Engineers issues written notices annually to all interests reminding them of the possibility that it might open the spillway and flood the area. Any decision to open the spillway must be carefully planned to give ample warning and protect life and property. Part of that planning process includes the Corps' preparation of maps known as "inundation scenarios" so that interested parties can discuss how much water, if any, should be allowed through the spillway
No matter how much flooding occurs, or how far they do or do not open the Spillway, or how much warning anybody gets, it is heartbreaking for those affected and probably for those who must make the decision.

The Morganza Spillway has only been opened twice before in all history, in 1973 and again in 2011. Maybe they will decide against it.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #3657
Give me a forum ...

The Morganza Floodway will not be opened! This is great news for those that could have been flooded after it was opened. So glad it won't be necessary.

Morganza Floodway will not be opened, Corps of Engineers decides | NOLA.com

Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #3658
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A lot of people in that floodway must be really happy to hear that news.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #3659

First snow of the winter for us. Right now just enough to show white, but maybe an inch later on.

Okay, it snowed. I'm ready for spring.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #3660

10 below zero right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1601498_10151874004043603_1447632478_n.jpg (68.2 KB, 19 views)