Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #3701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OMG - how do the pheasants survive in North Dakota?!?!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #3702
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
One thing I noticed in moving from the Bay Area to the east is acclimation. Because there aren't extremes in temperature changes between day and night, you gradually adjust to the cold and it just doesn't seem that cold unless it's windy. It the summer, I love not needing a sweater or jacket at night. The insects were awful last summer though.

In The Bay Area, the temperature can swing a lot in the summer because of the fog. I remember a cousin's wedding in Palo Alto where it was 90 degrees and the reception was in a restaurant on the hills between 280 and the ocean where it was foggy and 55 degrees. The guys in the suits were fine but I froze in my summer dress!

I'm looking forward to our first snow of the season this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Reminds me of school days on the peninsula, leave San Mateo in the evening wearing a t-shirt on my motor scooter. Stop at the top of Skyline Drive and put on a wool jacket for the trip to Half Moon Bay and the ocean.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #3703

Where I worked I had about a 200 yard walk from the parking lot to the building. I used to judge how cold it was by the amount of frost on my mustache when I got to the building.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #3704
Administrator

Today's high is predicted to be only +59F, and right now it is a frigid +47F. That probably sounds tropical to our northerners! Before I go outside, I am going to put on a nice warm sweatshirt and sweatpants ( = cold weather retiree wear). Also when I go outside I plan to wear my winter coat over my sweats. Brrrrrr...

I guess I'm fully acclimated to Southern temperatures by now. F has been wearing a warm winter coat, knit cap, and gloves when we go outside. At least I don't need the hat or gloves yet.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Pretty much normal 2x4 stud walls with lots of insulation in walls and roof with double pane windows. My balanced billing natural gas heating averages about $35 per month year around for a 900 square foot house. One of the advantages of the extreme cold is that we only get maybe 30 inches of snow all winter but it doesn't melt until spring. Whatever snow is on the ground at Thanksgiving will be there until spring. The coldest winter I remember was 1978-1979 we had more than 90 consecutive days of below zero temperatures.
Gee, I was expecting 2x6 walls, foam insulation, and triple pane windows. Except for being built on slabs, our houses in North Texas probably have similar construction, but for us its defending against the heat. Any way, I bet your outerwear is more robust than mine
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today's high is predicted to be only +59F, and right now it is a frigid +47F. That probably sounds tropical to our northerners! Before I go outside, I am going to put on a nice warm sweatshirt and sweatpants ( = cold weather retiree wear). Also when I go outside I plan to wear my winter coat over my sweats. Brrrrrr...

I guess I'm fully acclimated to Southern temperatures by now. F has been wearing a warm winter coat, knit cap, and gloves when we go outside. At least I don't need the hat or gloves yet.
I feel your pain - literally. Down here in S Florida it's about the same temp. I feel badly for those folks from the frigid northlands that booked a week in the sun and are stuck with this chilly weather.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Gee, I was expecting 2x6 walls, foam insulation, and triple pane windows. Except for being built on slabs, our houses in North Texas probably have similar construction, but for us its defending against the heat. Any way, I bet your outerwear is more robust than mine
A few of the newer houses here are built on slabs with heat in the floor. Most of the houses have basements. A lot of the newer ones are going to ground resource heat pumps for heating and cooling.

Most days for outerware its just a wool jacket with a couple of layers under that. The survival kit in my car has mukluks, parka, space blanket, several regular blankets, sleeping bag, and a portable radio that is powered by a spring wound up by a crank, that then drives a small generator. Batteries do not do very well in extreme cold. Here's the radio I use; it also has an LED light that plugs into it.. There is also what is called a Dakota heater. It's an aluminum foil baking pan full of wax and about 20 candle wicks in it. You can burn that for short periods but a downwind window has to be opened a little. The rule is if you are stuck in a storm DO NOT LEAVE THE CAR. Your life can literally depend on the condition of your car.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #3708

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OMG - how do the pheasants survive in North Dakota?!?!
Pheasants are a rare bird in this part of the state, there have been attempts to introduce them here but with the cold, foxes, wolves, coyotes, hawks, and bald and golden eagles the don't survive very long. In the western parts of the state the climate is much milder so they are all over the place. The Red River Valley where I am was once the bottom of glacial lake Agassiz. It's flat as a table top and only about 900 feet above sea level. It's a low spot where the cold settles in and stays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Valley
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #3709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pheasants are a rare bird in this part of the state, there have been attempts to introduce them here but with the cold, foxes, wolves, coyotes and bald and golden eagles the don't survive very long. In the western parts of the state the climate is much milder so they are all over the place. The Red River Valley where I am was once the bottom of glacial lake Agassiz. It's flat as a table top and only about 900 feet above sea level. It's a low spot where the cold settles in and stays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Valley
OK - that explains it. Because when we traveled across ND following the Missouri river, we saw huge numbers of them. But now I see we only traveled the western half of the state. I had concluded that pheasant hunting must be one of the draws for ND residents - but there sure weren't many people living in the state!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK - that explains it. Because when we traveled across ND following the Missouri river, we saw huge numbers of them. But now I see we only traveled the western half of the state. I had concluded that pheasant hunting must be one of the draws for ND residents - but there sure weren't many people living in the state!
I have many friends that head to the western part of the state to hunt pheasants every year.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #3711

Quote:
The rule is if you are stuck in a storm DO NOT LEAVE THE CAR. Your life can literally depend on the condition of your car.
Back in the '70's I remember hearing that at their police academy Alaska State Police recruits had a week or more of class time on auto maintenance and repair and carried a substantial amount of tools and spare parts. As you know, it is a survival issue in those conditions.

As for here, winter has arrived. The forecast now is for anywhere between one and 20 inches of snow on Friday/Saturday depending on how it develops. A few are saying perhaps a storm of "historic" proportions. Oh joy. And we are right in the middle of the path:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow_map.JPG (131.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #3712
Moderator Emeritus

My avatar is a photo I took of an oil well 20 miles south of Stanley, ND in Whiting Petroleum's field at around -25 F one morning. That was a trip where I never say -8 F for the week. I have a special parka for those places.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #3713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Back in the '70's I remember hearing that at their police academy Alaska State Police recruits had a week or more of class time on auto maintenance and repair and carried a substantial amount of tools and spare parts. As you know, it is a survival issue in those conditions.

As for here, winter has arrived. The forecast now is for anywhere between one and 20 inches of snow on Friday/Saturday depending on how it develops. A few are saying perhaps a storm of "historic" proportions. Oh joy. And we are right in the middle of the path:
If things there are like here the grocery stores will be full of people getting ready for the storm. Stay warm.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #3714

Quote:
If things there are like here the grocery stores will be full of people getting ready for the storm. Stay warm.
I noticed the store was more crowded than usual today so I'm glad I made the grocery run today. It'll be crazy by Thursday afternoon and a madhouse Friday morning.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #3715
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I feel your pain - literally. Down here in S Florida it's about the same temp. I feel badly for those folks from the frigid northlands that booked a week in the sun and are stuck with this chilly weather.
We're heading off Thursday to Orlando to spend some time (through Monday) with DD and DGD. DD's coaching at a gymnastics competition there, so we'll hang out with DGD at the parks and DD when she's not working. Since she lives a few miles from Walt -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I suspect they'll be fine with the temps in the high 50s - low 70s. DD is hoping the snow will linger and they'll be trapped in FL for an extra day or so.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #3716

As a few have said it's getting accustomed to the cold. We used to have USAF personnel arrive in early fall and they would be wearing parkas in September. We had to get them to realize that they would never adapt to cold that way. We had one poor fellow that was native Hawaiian and had spent most of his career in Hawaii and Texas. He was sent to Cavalier AFS in January. I wasn't sure he was going to survive; I don't think he took his parka off until spring.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #3717
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As a few have said it's getting accustomed to the cold. We used to have USAF personnel arrive in early fall and they would be wearing parkas in September. We had to get them to realize that they would never adapt to cold that way. We had one poor fellow that was native Hawaiian and had spent most of his career in Hawaii and Texas. He was sent to Cavalier AFS in January. I wasn't sure he was going to survive; I don't think he took his parka off until spring.
In Winnipeg I worked with many trainees from Saudi Arabia. One lady arrived during a relatively cool summer and asked me (in July) if it was always this cold. She was shivering at the time. I tried to break it to her gently. She bought a fur coat that winter!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #3718
Give me a forum ...

As a kid, I ran across the short story "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. It was about survival in the Yukon, but as a kid I did not know where that was. As an adult, I bought a book that was a collection of stories by Jack London, and rediscovered this fascinating and scary story among all other very readable stories.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #3719

Finally getting some bragging weather in SE Arizona, its been low 50's for 2 weeks, rest of this week through the weekend high 60's low 70's.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #3720
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In Winnipeg I worked with many trainees from Saudi Arabia. One lady arrived during a relatively cool summer and asked me (in July) if it was always this cold. She was shivering at the time. I tried to break it to her gently. She bought a fur coat that winter!
I remember living in Rio de Janeiro. I would take the bus to w*rk in the morning and marvel at all the folks I saw wearing down jackets and even parkas when the temperature got down to single digits (C) or the mid 40s (F). I was usually wearing just a heavy shirt or maybe a light sweater in those temps.