This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from family members near Chicago who live in an older home (built in the 1920s) without insulation in the walls. Their furnace is running nonstop now, the temps in the house are 55 deg F, and it's not as cold outside as it's gonna get. It's not going to be fun to crawl out from under those blankets in the morning.

Last edited:
I heard from family members near Chicago who live in an older home (built in the 1920s) without insulation in the walls. Their furnace is running nonstop now, the temps in the house are 55 deg F, and it's not as cold outside as it's gonna get. It's not going to be fun to crawl out from under those blankets in the morning.

cGevg8h.jpg

How nightmarish.

I hope that they, and forum member Ownyourfuture, and others affected by this record cold weather can somehow manage to keep (relatively) warm and comfortable tonight.

Bestwifeever, I am so glad you got out of there before this hit!

A balmy 12F this morning at my house. SW PA. No wind.

Peru, illinois current ... right now - 6:40 AM Jan 30, 2019

Minus 24 °
Wind chill minus 54 °

Exposed skin frostbite in less than 5 minutes.

Indoors for the next three days. Furnace working. Indoor temp 73 °. Gas fireplace too... cozy and thankful.:)

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
A NY Times article predicted such cold for the future in 1974.
TIME Magazine Archive Article -- Another Ice Age? -- Jun. 24, 1974
"
Whatever the cause of the cooling trend, its effects could be extremely serious, if not catastrophic. Scientists figure that only a 1% decrease in the amount of sunlight hitting the earth's surface could tip the climatic balance, and cool the planet enough to send it sliding down the road to another ice age within only a few hundred years.
The earth's current climate is something of an anomaly; in the past 700,000 years, there have been at least seven major episodes of glaciers spreading over much of the planet. Temperatures have been as high as they are now only about 5% of the time. But there is a peril more immediate than the prospect of another ice age."

Stay safe and warm in the north country.
Edit add: I am going figure skating today, it is warmer in the rink than outside.
Edit Add2: Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory mentioned in the article worked in the next building over from Seismology where I was at Lamont. He frequently gave impromptu talks at the lunch table in the cafeteria, on climate.
Edit add3: The scientists from the Tree Ring lab gave him lots of usefula data, even from petrified trees.

Last edited:
A NY Times article predicted such cold for the future in 1974.
TIME Magazine Archive Article -- Another Ice Age? -- Jun. 24, 1974
"
Whatever the cause of the cooling trend, its effects could be extremely serious, if not catastrophic. Scientists figure that only a 1% decrease in the amount of sunlight hitting the earth's surface could tip the climatic balance, and cool the planet enough to send it sliding down the road to another ice age within only a few hundred years.
The earth's current climate is something of an anomaly; in the past 700,000 years, there have been at least seven major episodes of glaciers spreading over much of the planet. Temperatures have been as high as they are now only about 5% of the time. But there is a peril more immediate than the prospect of another ice age."

Stay safe and warm in the north country.

So there is no global warming:confused:?

The gas stoves really haven’t gone off since I got up here SE Penn. Sometime in the wee hours of tomorrow morning it will bottom out with a low of 4 degrees. Not bad when compared to Minnesota but, i know from past experience here pipes will freeze, cars will fail and it will be a mess. We just usually dont get this cold here.

-33F now at 7am.

Will dip to -36 or -37 when the sun comes up.

I was hoping for -40. This all you got? 🤓

This weather is awful!!

These numbers are impressive! Hopefully this is a short-term event and as few people/animals as possible suffer while enduring it.

Last edited:
I spent yesterday morning outside doing yard work in shorts. Today, I am heading to the outdoor gun range.
Yeah Arizona!

(I grew up in Wisconsin, so i earned my stripes)

-21F at our house is right now. Wind chill reportedly -50F, but we’re not going out.

-50 wind chill right now in MN. Nearly every store or workplace has closed, and there is no mail delivery. I have heat, food, purring cats, good coffee, library books, a fire in the fireplace. Heaven.

Neighbors of mine ( in their late 80s) heat up their home by opening up their electric oven door and turning on the unit. Temps in FL dip to 30s for a few hours once in a blue moon in the middle of the night. The one thing residents are concerned about is frost. We cover our outdoor plants with plastic covering so they don't freeze overnight. Life could be worse.

It was 15 degrees when I got home from work yesterday, it's now -5, and dropping another 10 degrees today with a 30 mph wind. I am at work right now, and hope the car starts this afternoon.

It was 15 degrees when I got home from work yesterday, it's now -5, and dropping another 10 degrees today with a 30 mph wind. I am at work right now, and hope the car starts this afternoon.
Not to worry, windchill has no effect on inanimate objects.

1985 in Wisconsin was this cold.

I lived in Baraboo back then -- some cold winters. I was a pretty avid cross-country skier at the time, with Devil's Lake and Mirror Lake state parks nearby. One of my more vivid memories was emerging from a stand of trees into a 5-10 mph breeze, about 5 below zero, and finding the air ... refreshing.

Looks like we hit -25 overnight, but it wasn't too windy. It's warming up now but the breeze is picking up to about 15 mph. Tonight is supposed to approach record cold.

I looked out the window when I woke up and spotted a thick column of smoke. Around here a lot of people have wood-burning stoves, and they do cause fires from time to time. A rural house burned down Monday night about 15 miles from me.

A glorious, crystal clear, prairie day here in Southern Ontario. -3F.

I checked the temp in Fairbanks yesterday -- it was 25 above, but dropping.

I was born there 65 years ago Tuesday. The high and low on the day of my birth was -23 for the high, -36 for the low. Seasonal.

Midwest: current temp -15, wind chill -30. University and schools closed as well as most businesses. I keep hearing "popping" sounds in our house. We have brick exterior. Are these temps. affecting windows and walls?

Midwest: current temp -15, wind chill -30. University and schools closed as well as most businesses. I keep hearing "popping" sounds in our house. We have brick exterior. Are these temps. affecting windows and walls?

I only know of a few businesses that are closed. Most are open around here. It's -24(-48 wind chill) with a high of -10. I have to work a 12 hour shift tonight 1p-1a. Hope my car starts after being outside for 12+ hours.

It's "only" -4F with -26F windchill here in Cincinnati area. Projected high temp is +5F, and overnight low will be -2F. You forum members north and west of me have it worse than I do. Had about 1 inch of snow, cleared the back patio with a broom since it was dry snow and not sticking. Helps keep the dogs from tracking in so much, they do not want to spend much time outside lately with this cold. Even the few minutes of me being outside my face and ears were very cold.

Almost all schools are closed around here, and heard some locations the mail is not being delivered today. Sure is nice to be able to stay home and not have to fight going to work in this weather.

We flew from Des Moines IA to Chicago today and are now Key West bound. We got really lucky on our flights. Wind chill of 50 below when we took off fro Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom