Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #3741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I remember living in Rio de Janeiro. I would take the bus to w*rk in the morning and marvel at all the folks I saw wearing down jackets and even parkas when the temperature got down to single digits (C) or the mid 40s (F). I was usually wearing just a heavy shirt or maybe a light sweater in those temps.
The first 40 degree spring day here will see people in shirt sleeves driving around with the windows down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #3742

Here are a couple of pictures from the worst blizzard I ever saw. I was a freshman in college in March 1966; the storm lasted 3 days and we got about 24 inches of snow with a 30 mph wind that piled up huge drifts.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #3743

Not sure whether to post this here or in the funny joke thread. Now the forecast is for up to 30 inches. We are in the "15 cases" zone so I'd better get some more. Sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wine_quantity.jpg (177.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #3744
Administrator

I feel for y'all and won't complain about how cold it's been here in S Fl (mid 60's).
This weather is awful!!-Toilet paper
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #3745

This weather is awful!!-Toilet paper

I am not a prepper but at any given moment I will have 15-20 rolls of toilet paper, a half gallon of milk, at least 8-10 eggs and a half loaf of bread on hand. Since I was old enough to shovel the driveway in northern WI (about 5 yrs old) I have always had one or two snow shovels and maybe an ice chipper on hand to attack the snow/ice.

Basically I am confused about the running to the store for milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. Do people use the restroom more during a storm?

I have never been stranded from a storm for more then a day or two.

I top off the gas tank in the truck and ensure all electronics are fully charged. That's it.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #3746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Basically I am confused about the running to the store for milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. Do people use the restroom more during a storm?

Neither have I (been stranded). But the difference, if one is retired or has the option of staying home, is that by stocking up one doesn't have to go out. During one such storm we stocked up on food & movies and didn't leave the house for at least a week. The 4WD pickup will go in 2 1/2 feet of snow (I've done it) but the difference is not having to. And I don't want to.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #3747
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not a prepper but at any given moment I will have 15-20 rolls of toilet paper, a half gallon of milk, at least 8-10 eggs and a half loaf of bread on hand. Since I was old enough to shovel the driveway in northern WI (about 5 yrs old) I have always had one or two snow shovels and maybe an ice chipper on hand to attack the snow/ice.

I top off the gas tank in the truck and ensure all electronics are fully charged. That's it.
It's just a different approach: you believe in stocking up on inventory, while others go for "just in time" supply management. Both have pros and cons.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #3748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's just a different approach: you believe in stocking up on inventory, while others go for "just in time" supply management. Both have pros and cons.
I don't consider 8-10 eggs, a half loaf of bread, and a half gallon of milk "stocking up on inventory." That short list of items will easily last me a week or two. (along with the other usual items I have in the pantry at any given moment)

On another note I drive 45-50 mph in a 55 zone during a rain storm. Not 20 mph like most of my neighbors. Maybe I'm just a big risk taker. Hmm?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #3749
Give me a forum ...

The weather underground site I ususally look at seems overrun by viewers, can't connect to it except after a long wait.

It is fun to read the the description of upcoming winter storm designed for the usual public viewer.

The short version for us, we'll be in the 20F range snow will begin this afternoon.

excerpt from long discussion:

"Blizzard Warnings are posted for Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas beginning this afternoon and lasting into Sunday morning. Upwards of 2 feet of snow will be possible in the Capitol, while up to 30 inches of snow are possible its western suburbs.

Meanwhile, several inches of snow may fall as far north as New York City, creating even more traffic issues heading into the weekend. As the storm moves off the coast, flooding may become a problem along the Jersey Shore as strong wind pushes ocean water inland. "

Then switch to the Scientific Forecast version.

An excerpt from a very long dicussion:

"Temperatures have started off very cold due to overnight clearing.
However...increasing high and middle-level clouds ahead of the system
advancing northeastward toward our area should mean viewing of the
sun will be at a premium today. However...temperatures should
climb solidly into the 20s...which is actually warmer than we have
been any time recently. Fries "

Who says scientists don't have a sense of humor?
Bold is my doing.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #3750

When I was w*rking there was a sort of game we would play, it was called "let's scare the new comers about winter."
Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #3751
Give me a forum ...

Ice day here. That contributes to too much time indoors and tendency to post more than usual. Until the power fails.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #3752
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am not a prepper, nor do I need to be. In my 40 years here in Phoenix, it snowed about 3 times. Yes, you'd better be careful when you use the phrase "when h*ll freezes over".

Yet, we have a lot of provisions at home. We rarely eat out, and as we cook a variety of dishes, we like to have on hand the ingredients to suit our fancy. So, for pasta we always have on hand spaghetti, fettucini, farfalle, orzo, couscous, etc... For meat, we always have ground beef, steak, pork chop, chicken, sausages, ham, halibut, mahi mahi, etc... Ditto for canned food, rice, noodles, etc... We do not eat just one type of cheese, so have several portions of different types.

We still go to the market a couple of times a week to get fresh vegetable and fruits. Some of these do not keep long.

So, our problem is not to worry about running out, but rather to keep an accurate list to rotate the stock.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #3753
Moderator Emeritus

I thought the big storm was supposed to head to DC! But we are getting some weather down here, too.

I'm listening to the sounds of the wild winds outside, more than 40 mph by now with very strong gusts. They were strong enough to blow away the chest high, very sturdy/heavy wheeled trash can that we have to use here. In fact, the wind blew it away and down the driveway twice, so I went out and put it in the garage. The wind almost blew me away too! Well not really, but I was struggling to get it done against the wind. We are close to Lake Ponchartrain, so the winds are strong here.

It's cold (for here), too, high of 42F with wind chill at 32F. Brrrrrrr. That's cold considering that yesterday it was 73F here. Tonight it's supposed to freeze for 1-3 hours.

So glad I'm retired and don't have to go out in this again.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #3754
Moderator Emeritus

Good thing you had those trees taken down, W2R. Those winds could snap them off and plop them on your roof.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #3755
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good thing you had those trees taken down, W2R. Those winds could snap them off and plop them on your roof.
Believe me, I am SO GLAD that is mostly done! You are right, there is no way that my roof would be intact right now if those trees were still there. Also, I'd have to get out in the street with a chainsaw to clear the huge branches from blocking the street, and I'm getting too old for that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #3756

Quote:
I don't consider 8-10 eggs, a half loaf of bread, and a half gallon of milk "stocking up on inventory." That short list of items will easily last me a week or two. (along with the other usual items I have in the pantry at any given moment)

On another note I drive 45-50 mph in a 55 zone during a rain storm. Not 20 mph like most of my neighbors. Maybe I'm just a big risk taker. Hmm?

I think that depends on whether or not you can see the road or the cars around you. I was driving on I-95 north of D.C. when a downpour hit. Exited the highway and pulled in a fast food parking lot and waited until I could see more than five feet in front of me.

The biggest problem were the SUVs and trucks either passing me or on the other side of the freeway throwing water onto my car to the point that I couldn't see a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #3757

Any East coast snow reports? In central PA the snow started 3 hrs earlier than predicted. Already about a foot, which was the lower end of our storm total. Oh joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #3758
Give me a forum ...

Early Saturday morning, in NJ, I see 6" or more of drifting snow. High winds are bending the tall trees.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #3759

Southeastern Pennsylvania, snow started about 7:30 last night and we have 8 to 10". Wind gusts but no steady winds. Just going out now to start clearing driveways and making sure the vents on generators are clear of snow.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #3760
Give me a forum ...

I spent one week working outside in Jamestown, ND. in late December. At minus 33 degrees, I was locked out of my rental car. Luckily, the only locksmith for 100 miles school across the street.

In that cold with the heaviest gloves I've ever seen, my fingers were burning in a matter of minutes. Thankfully it was very sunny, and the air was just so clean on such a day.

Most of the farmers in the area spend their winters in Florida. Those farmers not in Florida kept their tractors in heated garages so they'd start, and they only stayed behind to feed cattle. I felt so sorry for the cattle living in those conditions.

At least those living in Alaska have the water to keep them warmer--than North Dakota.
Closed Thread