Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #3821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a minor setback, about an inch of snow yesterday that has mostly melted. Highs for the rest of the week in the low 30s.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #3822

After a few days of Spring weather, we are back to Winter. Not sure how deep it is, but outside the motor home there is about 8 inches. The wind is blowing there is drifting. Temperature in the mid 20s. Another larger storm is due on Saturday. Other than going out to sweep snow off the satellite antenna so I can get internet I think I will just stay in until the snow stops.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #3823

The forecast is saying 10-14 inches here staring anytime now and going thru Thursday evening. Luckily, I have no reason to go anywhere until early next week. It should be mostly melted by then(at least on the roads) with highs in the 40's over the weekend.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #3824
Recycles dryer sheets

Denver is totally socked in! Airport closed. Most highways (I-25, I-70, I-76) closed. Don't even want to venture out.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #3825

It's ugly up here in the mountains. Too windy and snowy to go out to find out how much has accumulated. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to plow. I developed a nasty cold yesterday evening and don't want to go out anyway. Time for some hot tea...
Old 03-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #3826
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here in the SW, it has been running 10 degrees above normal. We are having a reprieve right now, but all our cool-season green-leaf vegetable has gone to seed.

I got worried about a coming hot summer, but somewhere saw a long-term forecast saying the northern states like Montana will be warmer than normal, while the southern tip of Texas will be below normal this summer. Will see if it works out as they claim. We will be up in Glacier NP soon, then swing by Colorado on the way home, so can use some thawing, but it could be muddy too. So much for hiking, I guess.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #3827
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
It's ugly up here in the mountains. Too windy and snowy to go out to find out how much has accumulated. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to plow. I developed a nasty cold yesterday evening and don't want to go out anyway. Time for some hot tea...
Depends on what you're doing, I guess. I was in Crusty Butt last week and had some really magnificent skiing on fresh powder. The wind chill was murder but worth it. Sorry about the cold; I know you're a skier too.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #3828
Recycles dryer sheets

Phew. 18" of snow at our house near Denver today. Last night, the forecast said 2-6". The highway to the mountains finally reopened. We are headed up to our mountain condo tonight for the rest of "spring" break.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #3829

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Depends on what you're doing, I guess. I was in Crusty Butt last week and had some really magnificent skiing on fresh powder. The wind chill was murder but worth it. Sorry about the cold; I know you're a skier too.
I've skied in white-out conditions. I'm getting too old for that stuff and that is what it would have been today.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #3830
Give me a forum ...

Had a brief visit last night...ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1458830811.075825.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #3831
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Had a brief visit last night...Attachment 23498
Wow! That's a lot of hail. We're just now getting a line of thunderstorms, maybe the same storms. I'm so glad I have a garage now, to protect my car in case it hails here too.

Last night it was 78 in the house so when I noticed that I turned on the AC again. Overall we have been pretty lucky with our March weather here this year.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #3832

45 and raining in northern Illinois. Looks like an all day rain. But it's better than snow.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #3833
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
45 and raining in northern Illinois. Looks like an all day rain. But it's better than snow.
Yeah, I think the Colorado people posting above won the award for awful weather this week, for sure. I can't even imagine 18" of snow to deal with. I'd freak. Some southerners like me are pretty confused about what one is supposed to do with even 1/2" of snow.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #3834

This storm caught the northern half of Colorado. We had about 12 inches up in the mountains where I live. I have been out plowing for the last couple of hours. Just stopped for breakfast. I'll probably plow for most of the day.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #3835

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yeah, I think the Colorado people posting above won the award for awful weather this week, for sure. I can't even imagine 18" of snow to deal with. I'd freak. Some southerners like me are pretty confused about what one is supposed to do with even 1/2" of snow.

I know what you mean. An 18" snow is sometimes merely a minor inconvenience to a northerner, but would be Armageddon for a southerner. Hopefully everyone going through this in Colorado stay safe. It's spring- it should melt soon.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #3836

Quote:
This storm caught the northern half of Colorado. We had about 12 inches up in the mountains where I live. I have been out plowing for the last couple of hours. Just stopped for breakfast. I'll probably plow for most of the day.
Ahhh, was wondering how you made out when I heard the weather news this morning about Colorado getting hit. Glad to hear you're out plowing and not too snowed in.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #3837

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ahhh, was wondering how you made out when I heard the weather news this morning about Colorado getting hit. Glad to hear you're out plowing and not too snowed in.
I had a hard time getting up the hill to the house in the Jeep this morning, but I made it. I finished plowing a little after 3:00. I have a bunch of shoveling to do, but it will wait until tomorrow. I better hurry though, we have a winter storm watch for Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. A predicted 12 inches.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #3838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we have a winter storm watch for Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. A predicted 12 inches.
We'll be awaiting your next post, in July.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #3839

Snow here in St. Paul last night and this morning. It was close to 70 two weeks ago so this is a bit of a shock. But the sun is very strong now and it is melting quickly.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #3840
Give me a forum ...

I don't think we have any members living in Alykel, Russia, but this is interesting.

VIDEO Strong wind blew a Boeing 737 at Alykel airport in Siberia | AIRLIVE.net