Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #3841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
45 and raining in northern Illinois. Looks like an all day rain. But it's better than snow.

North Central Il here... had about 1 1/2 inches of snow about 3 hours ago... all gone now. Nice break last week. Chomping at the bit to get back to the lake, but looks like next Wednesday before we get back into the 60's. Accounts for too much time here on ER.
__________________

__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #3842
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yeah, I think the Colorado people posting above won the award for awful weather this week, for sure. I can't even imagine 18" of snow to deal with. I'd freak. Some southerners like me are pretty confused about what one is supposed to do with even 1/2" of snow.

It was my day off work anyway, so I didn't plan to leave the house. DH was about to leave for work at 11:30am and the blizzard suddenly got worse so he called off - he was glad he did because the road closed to his work at about noon so he would not have made it anyway. DS20 was lucky and got a call not to bother coming in pretty early in the day - his restaurant wasn't even gonna try to open for dinner service.

This afternoon the streets weren't bad, so I went to 2 stores but neither place was really busy yet today. Unfortunately, I work all weekend and it looks like more snow on Saturday coming in. At least the skiing should be good on Monday/Tuesday when I go back up the hill ....
__________________

__________________
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #3843
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,211
it was 50 and sunny here 20 miles from the Candian border
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #3844
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,867
Got some rain last night. Lots of folks in the area lost power and the mall down the road flooded, as did the highways. Our house is about 3 1/2 inches higher than the ground level, and the water level rose 3 1/4 after 90 minutes of rain. Whew ..
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #3845
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 35,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Got some rain last night. Lots of folks in the area lost power and the mall down the road flooded, as did the highways. Our house is about 3 1/2 inches higher than the ground level, and the water level rose 3 1/4 after 90 minutes of rain. Whew ..
Whew, close call!! Hope it all drains off quickly now.

We are doing wonderfully in that regard, with several days of sunny weather between rainy days lately. It rained yesterday, and today is sunny and bright. Rain is predicted to return on Sunday. My newly sodded lawn is loving this weather.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harborless immensities.
- - H. Melville, 1851.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #3846
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 1,585
I just went out and shoveled the snow in front of the door. I'm pooped. Shoveling when you have a cold is no fun.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #3847
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 35,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just went out and shoveled the snow in front of the door. I'm pooped. Shoveling when you have a cold is no fun.
To me, snow shoveling and lawn mowing are sort of in the same category. They are both chores that are just too strenuous for people after a certain age (it was age 57 for me). If I lived in Colorado, I would hire someone to shovel snow just like I hire someone to mow in the New Orleans heat right now.

My justification/rationalization is that there are other ways to get exercise that are less likely to result in a heart attack, and there are other ways to save money.

I'm not sure how you could get someone to shovel your snow, though, if you are in an isolated area. To me that would be a factor in deciding where to move. YMMV and probably does! You may be quite a bit younger than me, too.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harborless immensities.
- - H. Melville, 1851.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #3848
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
To me, snow shoveling and lawn mowing are sort of in the same category. They are both chores that are just too strenuous for people after a certain age (it was age 57 for me). If I lived in Colorado, I would hire someone to shovel snow just like I hire someone to mow in the New Orleans heat right now.

My justification/rationalization is that there are other ways to get exercise that are less likely to result in a heart attack, and there are other ways to save money.

I'm not sure how you could get someone to shovel your snow, though, if you are in an isolated area. To me that would be a factor in deciding where to move. YMMV and probably does! You may be quite a bit younger than me, too.
When I get moved into my house, I will have concrete driveways and small decks/patios that won't need much shoveling. I will have a snow blower or small plow on an ATV for the driveways and patio. I am planning on gathering some prairie grass seed this fall to sprinkle around the house. I may need to mow once or twice a year. The big problem will be keeping the aspen trees at bay. They sprout up like weeds.

I think we are pretty close in age. I turned 66 last month. I would be right there with you on hiring someone to mow in heat and humidity.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #3849
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,293
I'm afraid to discuss our local weather here.... Lets just say I'm wearing shorts and have all the windows open.... Dug out the boys spring wetsuits for planned beach/surfing this week.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #3850
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Whew, close call!! Hope it all drains off quickly now.
Yes, and just in time. Although I have no idea what I'd do if the water rose above the floor level of the house. It would certainly answer our question of just how watertight the doors are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My justification/rationalization is that there are other ways to get exercise that are less likely to result in a heart attack, and there are other ways to save money.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm afraid to discuss our local weather here.... Lets just say I'm wearing shorts and have all the windows open.... Dug out the boys spring wetsuits for planned beach/surfing this week.
I get lots of pleasure giving local South Florida weather updates to my Chicago based family members, especially when it gets below zero there.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #3851
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 14,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I get lots of pleasure giving local South Florida weather updates to my Chicago based family members, especially when it gets below zero there.
And they still speak to you?
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #3852
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, and just in time. Although I have no idea what I'd do if the water rose above the floor level of the house. It would certainly answer our question of just how watertight the doors are.

+1


I get lots of pleasure giving local South Florida weather updates to my Chicago based family members, especially when it gets below zero there.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1458935123.713109.jpg

I share photos like this with my friend in Chicago--but only to get her to book her flight here for her next vacation.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #3853
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I share photos like this with my friend in Chicago--but only to get her to book her flight here for her next vacation.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #3854
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm afraid to discuss our local weather here.... Lets just say I'm wearing shorts and have all the windows open.... Dug out the boys spring wetsuits for planned beach/surfing this week.

I've noticed the number of posts slamming California goes down noticeably this time of year


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
mh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #3855
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I've noticed the number of posts slamming California goes down noticeably this time of year
We lived in San Diego for a year in the mid 1980s. Loved the weather. We spent Valentine's Day on the beach Rodi likes.

BTW, its snowing heavily right now here in the mountains.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #3856
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 86
65 and sunny here, like it is almost everyday in San Francisco!

Sorry everyone, the great year round weather is one of the best reasons to live in the Bay Area.

;--)


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Daniel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #3857
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between Chicago and Phoenix
Posts: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I share photos like this with my friend in Chicago--but only to get her to book her flight here for her next vacation.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I know what you mean - I share photos like this. Arizona from last week. And the Illinois weather shot was a few days ago in a warm spell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watchweather.jpg (308.0 KB, 6 views)
__________________
A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for. John A. Shedd
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #3858
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between Chicago and Phoenix
Posts: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
.....BTW, its snowing heavily right now here in the mountains.
Hermit, If the snow gets real bad, you may need one of these - Yellowstone is selling their snowcats.


The Case for Ditching Your Truck for a Vintage Snowcat | Outside Online
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owning-snowcat-main_h.jpg (76.2 KB, 5 views)
__________________
A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for. John A. Shedd
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #3859
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Hermit, If the snow gets real bad, you may need one of these - Yellowstone is selling their snowcats.
...
The weather finally cleared out. A cloudless sky and a bright, beautiful Easter morning! Oh, and it is a balmy 10 degrees.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #3860
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 35,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The weather finally cleared out. A cloudless sky and a bright, beautiful Easter morning! Oh, and it is a balmy 10 degrees.
So glad you Colorado residents finally got a break!

It's dark and rainy/drizzling here in New Orleans this Easter morning with predicted highs in the mid 70's (F). No thunder or severe weather thus far but it is sure wet outside. My new lawn is loving it.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harborless immensities.
- - H. Melville, 1851.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Awful Movies Moemg Other topics 76 02-18-2008 05:10 PM
Where do you get your weather? mickeyd Other topics 27 07-03-2007 06:57 AM
Weather Helen Other topics 51 02-09-2007 10:14 AM
All Weather Portfolio MasterBlaster FIRE and Money 20 10-12-2006 08:54 PM
The Weather Danny Other topics 0 03-16-2006 11:23 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.