Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #3901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How is it that IAH George Bush airport is running no delay, high ground?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #3902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
For being basically flat and with lots of paved areas we do not flood that much...

Just think how your area would be if it rained 20 inches in less than 24 hours... at times it was raining over 4 inches and hour...

From what I have seen, most of the people killed drove into high water... if someone ignores the barriers put up to protect them it is not really the flood waters that is the problem...
Here's the article I heard. It's not much more than a sound bite.

A lot depends on the soil. Both places we live are right about at sea level, but respond to rainfall completely differently. At our MD home, a massive rainfall like that would result in flooding for days. Water stands on the clay/sand soil for a long time. At our FL home, even that amount of water would drain through the loose sand in a very short time. I've seen it rain over 10" in a day, and the water was gone within a couple of hours. I've never seen the 20" in a day rate, but I suspect it would still drain through pretty fast. I don't know anything about Houston, but I certainly hope the flooding ends soon and people remain safe.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #3903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
How is it that IAH George Bush airport is running no delay, high ground?
High ground is relative in Houston. The Heights area may be 20ft higher than the rest of town.

IAH isn't near a bayou or creek iirc. That's why it doesn't flood, plus it has containment areas all around it.

Most of the flooding occurred in areas that are near bayous or creeks. Cypress Creek really went out of its banks.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #3904
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Here's the article I heard. It's not much more than a sound bite.

A lot depends on the soil. Both places we live are right about at sea level, but respond to rainfall completely differently. At our MD home, a massive rainfall like that would result in flooding for days. Water stands on the clay/sand soil for a long time. At our FL home, even that amount of water would drain through the loose sand in a very short time. I've seen it rain over 10" in a day, and the water was gone within a couple of hours. I've never seen the 20" in a day rate, but I suspect it would still drain through pretty fast. I don't know anything about Houston, but I certainly hope the flooding ends soon and people remain safe.

Also a lot of clay around here...

It was interesting that the article was talking about building above the 100 year flood plain.... but most of what is flooding now IS above that... someone on TV said that this is a 500 year flood..

Down in the Meyerland area (southwest Houston) it is not, but their water has already gone down...

Also, when you look at the pictures that a flooded street is planned... they first want to fill up any retention ponds, then the bayous, then the streets before reaching any buildings... so reaching buildings means a lot of water...

This was yesterday, but someone said the amount of water that fell is the same as 88 minutes of the Niagara Falls...
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #3905
Give me a forum ...

Lots of clay except where the pines grow (NW Houston) then it's sandier.

Still, too many people, too much pavement and too much rain.

Just heard water got in the Hearthstone club house.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #3906

Nice 80°F day, then suddenly half-inch hailstones that completely covered the lawn. Ten minutes later, sunny again.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #3907

Pretty steady snow this afternoon. Its the real wet stuff. About 3 inches on the ground. I didn't think it was supposed to snow today. Friday we are supposed to get a bunch more.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #3908

DD and future SIL showed up this afternoon. Here is a picture she took on the way back home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160426_185351.jpg (370.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #3909
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday we had a "slight to marginal" chance of severe storms today, with damaging winds, hail, and tornados.

Today we have a severe thunderstorm watch in place, and a 40% chance of storms here today, possibly with damaging winds(15%), hail(2%), and tornados(?%). Or not.

What an equivocal forecast! Radar shows that there's a solid line of strong storms marching across Louisiana and headed directly for us. The TV weathergirl is urging us to bring in anything in the yard that could become a projectile if/when blown around. My plan is to do that, and just assume that today will be stormy.

She also urges us to rush to get errands done pronto and get home soon because "you won't want to be driving around in these storms once they arrive". Not "if they arrive", but "once they arrive" (exact quote). OK....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #3910
Administrator

Hope you make it through that bad weather with no damage!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #3911
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hope you make it through that bad weather with no damage!
Thank you! I am just aggravated that they can't seem to decide on the forecast at all. If it was just storms popping up, I could see it, but with that solid line of red headed this way I'd really like for them to commit to a forecast for once. Maybe that is too much to ask.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #3912
Moderator Emeritus

We got pounded with a wild storm at 4 AM here in Houston early this morning. This just adds to the already wet conditions around these parts.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #3913
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We got pounded with a wild storm at 4 AM here in Houston early this morning. This just adds to the already wet conditions around these parts.
I hope Houston doesn't have any more flooding from it!

I think that might have been the same line of storms that is moving eastward and headed for us. It's between Houston and Lafayette right now.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #3914
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you! I am just aggravated that they can't seem to decide on the forecast at all. If it was just storms popping up, I could see it, but with that solid line of red headed this way I'd really like for them to commit to a forecast for once. Maybe that is too much to ask.
The Chicago networks have been doing the opposite--they go with the most dire predictions and then pull them back just a few hours before the storms were supposed to arrive. We had thunderstorms and hail etc. forecast night before last and then again last night. Not complaining, but still haven't seen a drop. Always good to be prepared but no one is going to take either your news meteorologists or ours seriously at this rate.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #3915
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The Chicago networks have been doing the opposite--they go with the most dire predictions and then pull them back just a few hours before the storms were supposed to arrive. We had thunderstorms and hail etc. forecast night before last and then again last night. Not complaining, but still haven't seen a drop. Always good to be prepared but no one is going to take either your news meteorologists or ours seriously at this rate.
So true.

They really ought to do the forecasts like the lottery, with that spinning globe full of balls with numbers on them. The numbers could refer to percentages. "And today's forecast... is..... (spinning the sphere)... 49! A 49% chance of thunderstorms in New Orleans today. Thank you for participating in today's weather forecast lottery!"

Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #3916
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I think that might have been the same line of storms that is moving eastward and headed for us. It's between Houston and Lafayette right now.
Yes, that's the line of storms. Hopefully, they are less destructive. We have a tree down and seems like several are down in the area. Schools are closed for the day.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #3917
Give me a forum ...

That line of storms passed through DFW around ten o'clock or so. The NWS was calling it a "PDS", or "particularly dangerous situation" (perty damned serious?). It rained hard for about an hour, with some lightning, but no hail or tornadoes, so all good.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #3918

Quote:
Yesterday we had a "slight to marginal" chance of severe storms today, with damaging winds, hail, and tornados.

Today we have a severe thunderstorm watch in place, and a 40% chance of storms here today, possibly with damaging winds(15%), hail(2%), and tornados(?%). Or not.

What an equivocal forecast! Radar shows that there's a solid line of strong storms marching across Louisiana and headed directly for us. The TV weathergirl is urging us to bring in anything in the yard that could become a projectile if/when blown around. My plan is to do that, and just assume that today will be stormy.

She also urges us to rush to get errands done pronto and get home soon because "you won't want to be driving around in these storms once they arrive". Not "if they arrive", but "once they arrive" (exact quote). OK....
What the forecaster says and what we typically think it means is often different. The percentage expresses a combination of certainty and areal coverage. Also, the 'area' involved is typically 20-30 parishes/counties. It's kinda complicated, but here is a good explanation:

FAQ - What is the Meaning of
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #3919
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
What the forecaster says and what we typically think it means is often different. The percentage expresses a combination of certainty and areal coverage. Also, the 'area' involved is typically 20-30 parishes/counties. It's kinda complicated, but here is a good explanation:

FAQ - What is the Meaning of
Yes, I know what it is supposed to mean due to graduate education and career experience in meteorology.

My objection is receiving multiple contradictory predictions, often from the same source and often presented to the public as being equally weighted. To me that's just not demonstrating much consistency. If a particular prediction should be given lesser weight, that should be made clear IMO.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #3920
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Quote:

I think it is the same storm.... the good news is that it is fast moving and will go by quickly, the bad is that it is intense... our electricity was going in and out... lost it for awhile, came back, lost it again for who knows how long (I went to the gym)... now clear skies!!!
Closed Thread