Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #3921
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think it is the same storm.... the good news is that it is fast moving and will go by quickly, the bad is that it is intense... our electricity was going in and out... lost it for awhile, came back, lost it again for who knows how long (I went to the gym)... now clear skies!!!
Good! Glad to hear it. It looks like it's still moving at a rapid clip and has passed Lafayette, still headed this way.

Edited to add: By now the NWS has increased our chance of storms to 80% so I have no more complaint. It looks like we are going to get clobbered by that same storm before too long. I am already hearing thunder off in the distance and it's looking ominous outside.

Edited again: It's dark as night outside and thundering loudly, and the rain has started. Visibility is about zero. I can hear the sirens of emergency vehicles all around for whatever reasons. The wind is just barely starting to kick up here. I think I'll just stay put, as the TV weather lady suggested. My Venza is inside my garage, safe from any hail that might fall.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

And here we go again!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #3922
Administrator

And here we go again!

More severe storms are upon us right now. 60 mph winds, hail, thunder, torrential rains, and visibility is almost zero. This is the same storm that clobbered Texas yesterday, IIRC. Lots of energy in these spring thunderstorms!

I'm glad that we are safely at home, my car is safely inside my garage, and all is well. The storm should pass by soon.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #3923

Staying inside sounds like a good idea. We just have cold (50) and drizzle, little to no wind. But no incentive to go out either.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #3924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snowing and 23 degrees here in the mountains. I just got back from the big charity event down in the city. I think the silent auction went very well. The drive home was quite slow. The roads were very icy on the paved roads and snow packed on the dirt roads.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #3925
Administrator

No sense in going to bed! We have a thunderstorm bearing down on us.

The TV weatherman says to expect 70 mph winds and possibly tornados. Really? 70 mph?

Right now, lots of long, low, deep thunder rumbling. We'll be fine but there's not much sense in going to bed any time soon. Just sitting here with my laptop unplugged, waiting for it to pass on through.

On the bright side, my new lawn needs a drink and Mother Nature will surely oblige.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #3926

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No sense in going to bed! We have a thunderstorm bearing down on us.

The TV weatherman says to expect 70 mph winds and possibly tornados. Really? 70 mph?
Hope you were ok. I just get nervous when I start to see purple sections, significant bowing and/or a defined hook showing up on those weather radars.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #3927
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Hope you were ok. I just get nervous when I start to see purple sections, significant bowing and/or a defined hook showing up on those weather radars.
I am fine. It turned out to be a very interesting storm! There were plenty of those defined hooks and bowing in various places, and plenty of small tornados outside of town so the TV meteorologists were busy warning people. There were also straight-line winds measured at over 80 mph out in the countryside, but they were not really very strong at all, here. And the rainfall wasn't that bad.

What was amazing was the amount of lightning and thunder. The lightning was nearly constant cloud-to-ground lightning strikes, making it seem like daylight again. I have never seen so much lightning and at least one house burned down from it. The thunder began ramping up with one very deep roll of thunder that shook the ground and the house to the extreme, and kept rolling and lasted for almost 15 minutes. That was WEIRD. Even the meteorologists said they had never experienced anything like it. It felt like it was coming from under the ground instead of from the skies.

Anyway, the storm barreled on through leaving lots of power outages behind it but was gone in about an hour, much faster than predicted. So, I didn't have to stay up too late after all.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #3928

We are under a heat advisory in Chicagoland. Currently 90 with a "feels like" of 110. But a "feels like" of 110 here feels worse than 110 in Arizona.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #3929
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We are under a heat advisory in Chicagoland. Currently 90 with a "feels like" of 110. But a "feels like" of 110 here feels worse than 110 in Arizona.
It's a weird day. I was surprised that it didn't feel that bad out here in the western burbs--I walked some errands in town just now and it felt like low 80s with a great strong cooling breeze from the east (thank you Lake Michigan) and cloudy skies. I planned to drive but it was only twenty minutes round trip by foot so I bucked up. Now, less than half an hour later, hot breeze from the west, no clouds, oppressively hot and humid.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #3930

I know - it came on very fast. I rode my bike this morning and it wasn't too bad. Then went to my workshop. DW came out a little while ago to check up on the elderly (me) as directed on the news. I stepped outside - it was an oven.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #3931

95F, feels like 90F (12 pct humidity)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #3932

94 here, but low humidity so unless you're in direct sunlight it isn't bad at all. But then I like it warmer than most people.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #3933
Recycles dryer sheets

Possible 99 in the DC area on Saturday. The feels like number will probably be 105. Good day to spend at home, in a mall or at the movies.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #3934

North of Houston, TX

Currently 97 F here and feels like 100 (what a relief today). Humidity only 32% 12 UV index (extreme)
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #3935
Administrator

96F and sunny right now, "feels like" 116F, humidity 60%. Lots of thunder and about half a thimbleful of rain earlier.

New Orleans in late July. It's bearable. October is our reward for surviving July and August.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #3936

96 F and high humidity so we're just staying inside except for going to the gym. And hoping nothing goes wrong with the A/C!

In six months I'll be complaining about the cold.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #3937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
96 F and high humidity so we're just staying inside except for going to the gym. And hoping nothing goes wrong with the A/C!

In six months I'll be complaining about the cold.
I don't like when it goes into the 90s with high humidity but i'll never complain about it because it's much better than any weather we get Nov-Mar.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #3938

mid 80s low humidity. beautiful
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #3939

Ninety-five degrees and 24% here in the central valley, nice day -
Old 07-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #3940

97 degrees and 69% humidity. I love hot weather. We did cut back on our hike. One person in the group started to feel sick. Now it's like someone turned off the humidity switch. Supposed to be 95 tomorrow and low humidity. Monday may reach 99, yay!