Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #4001
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That storm next week is even supposed to affect us down here in New Orleans! See forecast image below. Luckily our winters here are not bad and we look forward to cooler weather after the miserable heat we usually have during August and September here.
Not too many years ago I remember New Orleans had a snowstorm for a few days. I was surprised the cold can reach there, but sometimes it sure can.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #4002
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Not too many years ago I remember New Orleans had a snowstorm for a few days. I was surprised the cold can reach there, but sometimes it sure can.
That was December 11, 2008. Here's a photo that I didn't take. I wanted to go out and take photos, but my agency wouldn't let us run out for even a minute from work to do that (and after work it was all melted and gone).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StreetcarSnow121108.jpg (113.7 KB, 27 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #4003
Moderator Emeritus

That is an awesome photo!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #4004
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That is an awesome photo!
I think it is, too! That photographer really had guts to stand right in front of the streetcar like that.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #4005
Moderator Emeritus

We're getting our first snow of the season. And the mail lady left heart shaped tire tracks.IMG_1480889835.434480.jpg
Old 12-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #4006
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We're getting our first snow of the season. And the mail lady left heart shaped tire tracks.Attachment 25025
That's so cute! Stay safe and warm.

It got down to 69F inside my house last night, so I turned on my heater. Or I thought I did; but after two hours, nothing heated up. I turned it back off and I guess I should figure out what I'm doing before I try that again. Luckily, being without heat in New Orleans is not a big deal in a well insulated house.

Today it has been raining and drizzling all day. Kind of dreary but we needed rain so it's ok with me.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #4007

Quote:
There's an old song called it sure can get cold in Des Moines. I think the year was 1971-1972, anyways it was -13,-14,-15. That's cold! Wonder if we will see that this year. I know it's supposed to be cold. Will it be that cold? Salt lake City is supposed to be mid 20's for the high a couple days next week. That seems just chilly compared to what the upper mid west can experience.
This was a memorable January for me in the lovely city of Medford, Wis. Scroll down the page a bit for the daily hi's and lo's. https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
This was a memorable January for me in the lovely city of Medford, Wis. Scroll down the page a bit for the daily hi's and lo's. https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
Yes, it got extremely cold then didn't it? I think one of the reasons the mid west gets sub zero temps is the lack of really high mountain ranges many thousands of feet high to block the cold air coming down from Canada. Salt Lake City has the Rocky mountains that block the really cold air reaching the city. That doesn't mean Salt Lake City can't get really cold, it can , just not as cold as the upper mid west.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #4009

Quote:
Yes, it got extremely cold then didn't it? I think one of the reasons the mid west gets sub zero temps is the lack of really high mountain ranges many thousands of feet high to block the cold air coming down from Canada. Salt Lake City has the Rocky mountains that block the really cold air reaching the city. That doesn't mean Salt Lake City can't get really cold, it can , just not as cold as the upper mid west.
One thing I've noticed is that we get a lot more early winter storms out of the West or Southwest than we used to. Back in the day we'd get one Alberta Clipper after another this time of year.

One of those western storms just rolled through my area yesterday. It wasn't much up here -- 3 inches of wet snow, then back above freezing. Some Canadian air is finally moving in midweek, but again nothing mind-blowing.

Not that I'm complaining! But I would like a little more snow for XC skiing.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #4010

Hello Gulf coast............
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #4011
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Texas flood
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #4012

The first large storm of the season is supposed to hit tomorrow. I will be putting chains on the plow truck and servicing the plow today. I have ordered a small electric heat pad that will stick on the hydraulic pump. Hopefully it will warm up the pump so it works better when I start out on cold mornings.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #4013

First blizzard warning of the season. We may get a foot of snow.
Attached Images
File Type: png fgf.png (7.5 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #4014

Nodak, YAY!! I love watching the blizzard on your towns earthcam.

Just took a look, the winds are picking up and it looks like it's snowing. Little hard to tell in the dark, even with the car headlights. You can hear the wind and see the decoration blowing in the wind.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #4015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
First blizzard warning of the season. We may get a foot of snow.
Crazy. I may be wrong, but looking at the animated weather map here, it appears like the blizzard you're getting is a continuation of the storm that clipped us yesterday in SE Wisconsin. Ordinarily we'd be bracing in anticipation of getting the heavy weather going on in the Dakotas over the next day or two. Not this time.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #4016
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Texas flood
No flood, just rain...and we need the rain!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #4017

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Nodak, YAY!! I love watching the blizzard on your towns earthcam.

Just took a look, the winds are picking up and it looks like it's snowing. Little hard to tell in the dark, even with the car headlights. You can hear the wind and see the decoration blowing in the wind.
Looks like the earthcan has a lot of snow over the lens right now. We have about 10 inches so far. anyone else interested in checking it out the link is http://www.cavaliernd.com/
Old 12-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #4018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Looks like the earthcan has a lot of snow over the lens right now. We have about 10 inches so far. anyone else interested in checking it out the link is Welcome to Cavalier
Just got a chance to look today and there's still snow on the lens. Could you get up there and clean it off? It actually looks like the camera has been pushed to the right. You can see either part of a building or maybe the housing that the camera sits in.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #4019

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Just got a chance to look today and there's still snow on the lens. Could you get up there and clean it off? It actually looks like the camera has been pushed to the right. You can see either part of a building or maybe the housing that the camera sits in.
We had 50 mph winds so it may have moved the camera.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #4020

4 or 5 inches of snow this morning. I'm out to plow the roads. It is right at zero this morning.
Closed Thread