This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our normal cloudy cool days are being replace with 100+ days this weekend.

The news media is milking this for everything they can get out of it. I am reminded of the Winter when Snow is in the prediction - just panic.

So many wild fires are breaking out in Arizona. I heard a presentation from a man from the US National Weather Service who said that in the trailing 12 months, the precipitation is the lowest ever recorded for a 12-month period, going back 100 years. Not sure if he was talking about just some specific areas or the entire state.

This is worrisome.

NW--lived through the fires and smoke in PNW last year--it is horrible. And frightening when you are told to evacuate! We were packed and ready for several days, fearing that alert on the phone!
Very Hot here, expecting over 110 or more in many places. I've read that the problem in this area from Seattle to Portland is less than 30 % or so have AC, so dangerous for so many, especially the elderly and children. Difficult to stay cool.
We added central AC about 10 years ago, thankfully.

ACs are not that expensive, and many places can do with mini-splits, and do not need a central AC. When in a tight spot, even a window AC will get a small bedroom comfortable so you can sleep. It's tough to sleep in the heat, like we found out a couple of June days in Paris at an Airbnb when the temperature hit the high 90s.

But then, even if you have AC, quite a few areas are now worrying about brownouts due to insufficient power generation.

I am glad I have my DIY off-grid solar with battery storage that can run ACs. If the power is cut off, I will still have to supplement the system at night with a generator, but at least the generator will not have to run 24 hours.

Last edited:
NW--lived through the fires and smoke in PNW last year--it is horrible. And frightening when you are told to evacuate! We were packed and ready for several days, fearing that alert on the phone!
Very Hot here, expecting over 110 or more in many places. I've read that the problem in this area from Seattle to Portland is less than 30 % or so have AC, so dangerous for so many, especially the elderly and children. Difficult to stay cool.

Are there no window ACs available for such folks? Most homes have at least one room which can accommodate a window AC. It's a bit like hibernation, staying in say, a BR in the air conditioning, but that's much better than stifling in the heat. YMMV

^^^ If one had only a window AC, he could survive.

Just run out to the kitchen to make a sandwich for a meal, then retreat back to the bedroom to watch TV or surf the Web.

PS. Have a small Honda generator, and you can survive a brownout.

That was probably a good time to add the AC!! Back in the early part of this century we added AC to our former house in Colorado (built in 1972). It was just getting too hot after the weather changed there, as after around the turn of the century, the Denver area was no longer getting the daily cooling afternoon rains off the mountains any longer. We would close the house up to go to work, and various candles in the house would be melted when we came home. The fish in the fish tank were getting way too hot.

I mentioned to someone at the time that climate change was why we had to add central air, because the daily afternoon rains had stopped. They said, haughtily, "so you are just contributing to the problem"! And I sad " Yes I am"!! And in hindsight, I can't imagine having spent the last 15 years in that house without air conditioning.

i have a daughter in Fall City Wa. and they ordered both a small pool and a room A/C to beat the heat. 850K house and no A/C......Wow

So glad my DD and her DH have central AC in their Beaverton, Oregon home! Being a Mom, I worry. It's a good 10+ degrees hotter there than here, and they aren't used to it like we are.

Like you, I hope the PNW doesn't get more wildfires like last year.

For people with a lot of wildfire smoke, I highly recommend them also getting a room air-purifier for the smoke.

So glad my DD and her DH have central AC in their Beaverton, Oregon home! Being a Mom, I worry. It's a good 10+ degrees hotter there than here, and they aren't used to it like we are.

Like you, I hope the PNW doesn't get more wildfires like last year.

We are concerned about more wildfires this summer too. Beaverton is forecast to hit 114F today and tomorrow.
Hoping they cancel fireworks on the 4th.

For Portland, OR, a high of 113F is really way way out there.

I just checked the record for Portland.

June - Average high: 74F, Record high: 102F
July - Average high: 83F, Record high: 104F
Aug - Average high: 83F, Record high: 105F

When you beat the old record by 10F, something is very wrong, or at least extremely unusual.

Last edited:
We are concerned about more wildfires this summer too. Beaverton is forecast to hit 114F today and tomorrow.

I hope fireworks here are canceled too. In Seattle King County area they've finally put a county wide ban on fireworks but starting -next- year. I have a cabin in a semi-rural area and the fireworks displays in the area are over the top crazy. Every year debris in my yard that probably had some heat to it. One more year! I enjoyed all the displays the first few years I owned the property, but now the hazard doesn't seem worth it.

Wow, that's HOT!! Yesterday afternoon she posted a photo of her phone, which said it was 106F outside. That's bad, but 114F is insane for Beaverton.

Oh good idea to cancel the fireworks! That hadn't occurred to me but I hope it occurred to TPTB in the area.

For Portland, OR, a high of 113F is really way way out there.

I just checked the record for Portland.

June - Average high: 74F, Record high: 102F
July - Average high: 83F, Record high: 104F
Aug - Average high: 83F, Record high: 105F

When you beat the old record by almost 10F, something is very wrong, or at least extremely unusual.

Yes, it is extremely unusual, which I suppose is why it is in the news this week. I would imagine that her AC won't be able to handle 113F very well but hopefully it will be a lot more comfortable for them inside, than outside. She moved there from Phoenix 20 years ago because after a year in Phoenix, she wanted to live someplace cooler. :ROFLMAO: Poor kid! Well, I call her a kid but she's 42 years old.

Portland is so hot that many bicyclists cannot wear any clothes while riding. :LOL:

I hope these nude cyclists wear plenty of sunscreen lotion. :cool:

No climate expert here, but from what I've found, the incredible temperatures in the PNW are fairly localized. The rest of the USA is fairly "normal" for this time of year. Here in the midwest, it's been a bit below normal for a few days (now starting to warm back up after quite low temperatures.)

My only point is to suggest that perhaps the world isn't coming to an end:LOL: - unless you live in Portland and don't have AC.:facepalm: YMMV as usual.

We're getting rain, an unusual but very welcome event. The local weather guys said it's due to the overheating of the PNW. It's cooler than normal too, highs in the 60s for a while.

No climate expert here, but from what I've found, the incredible temperatures in the PNW are fairly localized. The rest of the USA is fairly "normal" for this time of year. Here in the midwest, it's been a bit below normal for a few days (now starting to warm back up after quite low temperatures.)

My only point is to suggest that perhaps the world isn't coming to an end:LOL: - unless you live in Portland and don't have AC.:facepalm: YMMV as usual.

No, the world is not coming to an end such that people will die everywhere in synchrony, on the same day. It takes REWahoo's asteroid to do that. :cool: And that may be coming too, but we don't know that yet.

Meanwhile, what if different places take turn to suffer natural calamities; some people die here, and the next day some others die elsewhere. If not heat waves, then hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc... There will be survivors in all the hit places, surely, but they are miserable. And their misery will just keep increasing, year after year... :(

No, the world is not coming to an end such that people will die everywhere in synchrony, on the same day. It takes REWahoo's asteroid to do that. :cool: And that may be coming too, but we don't know that yet.

Meanwhile, what if different places take turn to suffer natural calamities; some people die here, and the next day some others die elsewhere. If not heat waves, then hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc... There will be survivors in all the hit places, surely, but they are miserable. And their misery will just keep increasing, year after year... :(

Except for those folks who never got much of a summer. I'm betting there are places that climate change is being welcomed.:facepalm: As always, YMMV.

We had tornado warnings twice yesterday in northern Illinois, but none happened. Did get high winds and lots of rain. And a few trees down. Had to do a little cleanup to clear the driveway, but I’ll get at the rest of the cleanup in the fall.

I just checked wunderground dot com, and today's high in Beaverton, Oregon (where my DD lives) was 108F!!! Yikes. :eek:

Our high here in a New Orleans inner suburb was 93F. But, the humidity in Beaverton is 17%, and ours is 62%.... :2funny:

When I got in Frank's car to go to a late lunch, at about 3 PM, he had the AC on. I actually had to divert the vent because within a block or two, I got too cold. I think I'm acclimated. :D

We had tornado warnings twice yesterday in northern Illinois, but none happened. Did get high winds and lots of rain. And a few trees down. Had to do a little cleanup to clear the driveway, but I’ll get at the rest of the cleanup in the fall.
So glad the tornados didn't materialize! That must have been unnerving. Hope none of the downed trees caused damage to homes.

Except for those folks who never got much of a summer. I'm betting there are places that climate change is being welcomed.:facepalm: As always, YMMV.

I dunno. Alaska currently enjoys 24-hour-long days when the sun does not set. They have plenty of summer besides plenty of winter.

I still remember, in Dawson City, Yukon, on a June day near the summer solstice, walking back to our RV from a bar at midnight, I was surprised to see the sun still high enough above the horizon to cast a shadow.

Cold as Fairbanks is in the winter, it has seen highs in the summer up to the high 90s. AC in Alaska? It's coming.

It's the 24-hour daylight that lets them grow 2000-lb pumpkins.

2QI457GK6ZPB7CH5GZI2DI5UMY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom