Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #4661
Moderator Emeritus

At 9:00 pm in the western Chicago burbs it's warmed up to 11 degrees, from the 3 degrees this morning. Woohoo. feels like summer already.

Southwest Airlines suggested I change my outgoing evening flight tomorrow to Dallas to leave before or after the snow storm that's in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening. Why, certainly we retired people can accommodate a change of schedule, especially when it costs no more because of weather--I'll be happy to leave at 10 am tomorrow instead! I just hope the poor unpaid TSA folks will be manning their posts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #4662
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
At 9:00 pm in the western Chicago burbs it's warmed up to 11 degrees, from the 3 degrees this morning. Woohoo. feels like summer already.

Southwest Airlines suggested I change my outgoing evening flight tomorrow to Dallas to leave before or after the snow storm that's in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening. Why, certainly we retired people can accommodate a change of schedule, especially when it costs no more because of weather--I'll be happy to leave at 10 am tomorrow instead! I just hope the poor unpaid TSA folks will be manning their posts.
Good luck getting out of the frozen northlands, Miz Feever. TSA has an app that gives a real-time update of wait times, you might find helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #4663
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good luck getting out of the frozen northlands, Miz Feever. TSA has an app that gives a real-time update of wait times, you might find helpful.
Thanks! I'll download it so I'll know what to expect--there were still seats on almost all of SW's flights tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be a relatively quiet morning following the holiday today. Famous last words!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #4664

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
More snow. The forecast says an inch in the next 48 hours. There's a new six inches in the driveway now and it's going to snow overnight.
I have found the solution to that. Buy a snowblower. The more expensive, the less snow you will have.

If it still snows, buy another, bigger, one.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #4665
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, how I miss living up north. Oh wait...yeah...I don't think so.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #4666
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Ah, how I miss living up north. Oh wait...yeah...I don't think so.
Me too!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #4667
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
10 degrees last night, 13 out right now.. the wind was is howling. I took my exercise walk anyway. I put on my Alaska parka on and a face mask. I cant say I ever got cold. The usually see another walker but not today. The wind got the best of me I cut it short rather than face more into the wind walking... I need my nose and ears.
Thank you for your post! I should be taking out my ski pants from my closet and wear them to go grocery shopping, etc. Why not, right? I just need to wear warmer clothes! Why didn't I think of that? I moved from Northern California to Canada a few years ago, and this feels like the coldest winter yet, and I just wasn't thinking! I could up my level of protection!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #4668
gone traveling

One of pluses in life in Florida is I can say my simple casual wardrobe is worn year round. When the temps get nippy my space heater warms up the rooms in the house real quick. Why do some homes in South Florida have fireplaces I have yet to comprehend.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #4669
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snow and very strong wind all last night and all today. Drifts well over a foot deep. It finally cleared out at dusk. It should be very cold tonight. I will need to plow the roads again tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #4670
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Yesterday, I cleaned both driveways, and a path through the yard to each barn...in many spots I was plowing over 24" in drifts. Saturday we got 10" of snow, with 40 mph winds in NW Ohio. I have a 4x4 JD 955 with a loader which helped greatly, but hard to start a diesel in 0 degree wind chills.
So, I wrote that^^^^ on Monday, Monday night was -5 with -20 windchills, it is currently raining (Tuesday evening), and supposed to be 44 degrees tomorrow with an inch of rain......ARGHHHHH !
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #4671
Give me a forum ...

It snowed.20190121_154056.jpeg
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #4672

Here's what I'm dealing with. "Very Cold" = giant understatement!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #4673
Give me a forum ...

1985 in Wisconsin was this cold.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #4674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
1985 in Wisconsin was this cold.
Was there a brisk 25 mph north-west wind to go along with it ?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #4675
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #4676
Give me a forum ...

I heard from family members near Chicago who live in an older home (built in the 1920s) without insulation in the walls. Their furnace is running nonstop now, the temps in the house are 55 deg F, and it's not as cold outside as it's gonna get. It's not going to be fun to crawl out from under those blankets in the morning.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #4677
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I heard from family members near Chicago who live in an older home (built in the 1920s) without insulation in the walls. Their furnace is running nonstop now, the temps in the house are 55 deg F, and it's not as cold outside as it's gonna get. It's not going to be fun to crawl out from under those blankets in the morning.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #4678
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
How nightmarish.

I hope that they, and forum member Ownyourfuture, and others affected by this record cold weather can somehow manage to keep (relatively) warm and comfortable tonight.

Bestwifeever, I am so glad you got out of there before this hit!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:36 AM   #4679
Give me a forum ...

A balmy 12F this morning at my house. SW PA. No wind.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #4680
Gone but not forgotten

Peru, illinois current ... right now - 6:40 AM Jan 30, 2019

Minus 24 °
Wind chill minus 54 °

Exposed skin frostbite in less than 5 minutes.

Indoors for the next three days. Furnace working. Indoor temp 73 °. Gas fireplace too... cozy and thankful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp.jpg (51.2 KB, 21 views)
Closed Thread