Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was 95 with a heat index over 100 when I got to w*rk yesterday. Humidity was very high. Because of the heat from the machines, the temp in my work area is even higher. After 10 miutes my shirt was soaked with sweat. After 5 hrs, I literaly thought I was going to die. I was bent over trying to breathe and had a killer heat-induced headache. I don't know how I made it through 12 hrs. Luckily i'm off today and tomorrow. Friday will only be 5 degrees(or less) cooler than yesterday so i'm going to spend more time in the breakroom. I'll take a "note to file" for excessive break time if they really want to give me one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #482
Recycles dryer sheets

66 degrees, headed for 70 with showers coming....but we did have a couple 90 degree days earlier this year!

Really, I do feel your pain! I hate hot weather....keep it 80 or under for me.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #483
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
102.4 at 1:45 PM. Not a breeze, which is a bit unusual. 101 yesterday, the first century day for the year. I'm ready for October, tired of the heat, really tired of all the chiggers. Just got into the time of the year that I pretty much stay inside and listen to the A/C turn on and off.

Oh yeah.... don't move to Texas!
Brought to you by the Texas Department of Tourism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It was 95 with a heat index over 100 when I got to w*rk yesterday. Humidity was very high. Because of the heat from the machines, the temp in my work area is even higher. After 10 miutes my shirt was soaked with sweat. After 5 hrs, I literaly thought I was going to die. I was bent over trying to breathe and had a killer heat-induced headache. I don't know how I made it through 12 hrs. Luckily i'm off today and tomorrow. Friday will only be 5 degrees(or less) cooler than yesterday so i'm going to spend more time in the breakroom. I'll take a "note to file" for excessive break time if they really want to give me one.
When I worked for American Can back in the early 70s, we would soak shop rags in the water fountain, and drape them over the backs our necks...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #484
Administrator

96 to 105 here, depending on where in the city. It's 99 at the closest measurement to my home. Unofficially 107 outside at my work. Excessive heat warnings.

It's 87 inside my house, with the A/C running nonstop. I turned on the ceiling fan, changed into my shorts, and it's really not bad. Ice water time.

I really need to get that attic fan fixed so that the A/C doesn't have to work so hard - - it's probably 115 in the attic, which is why the A/C can't bring it down below 87 right now. It will be as cool as I might want in the house by bedtime, though.

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #485
Give me a forum ...

May I introduce the humble "poor man's AC"?
We used to use this in college dorm rooms before they turned the AC on, at a certain written in stone date.

1 mesh colander with a catch bowl beneath it
1 chunk of ice or lots of loose cubes
1 small personal size fan, table top preferred.
Place colander in front of fan, use a telephone book or two so ice is directly in the path of the breeze.
Point fan toward face.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Brought to you by the Texas Department of Tourism...
104 at the house right now, official temp as well. I was trying to keep my grass alive but I think it committed suicide around Noon today. Hell has been calling wanting to use my place as a punishment for the really hard cases.

Stay away all you Kal-ee-fornee-ans and what not. Buy a new house in Pheoenix, it's a dry heat there.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #487
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
May I introduce the humble "poor man's AC"?
We used to use this in college dorm rooms before they turned the AC on, at a certain written in stone date.

1 mesh colander with a catch bowl beneath it
1 chunk of ice or lots of loose cubes
1 small personal size fan, table top preferred.
Place colander in front of fan, use a telephone book or two so ice is directly in the path of the breeze.
Point fan toward face.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
I just *knew* there was something I forgot to buy in that shopping spree at Target, after I got my inheritance. A colander! I don't have one of any kind (and it would help in draining vegetables and pasta, too). I do have a personal sized fan, though. Oh well. I'm not that hot, and haven't even tried a cool shower yet. Thanks anyway! I'll remember it for another day when I am hotter, and that day is bound to arrive at some point.

― B. Lee

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #488
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I just *knew* there was something I forgot to buy in that shopping spree at Target, after I got my inheritance. A colander! I don't have one of any kind (and it would help in draining vegetables and pasta, too). I do have a personal sized fan, though. Oh well. I'm not that hot, and haven't even tried a cool shower yet. Thanks anyway! I'll remember it for another day when I am hotter, and that day is bound to arrive at some point.
Plan B - pantyhose, 1 leg only. Fill bottom 1/3 of a leg with ice and knot it. Make sure catch bowl is deep enough.
Have fun!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #489

Anyone else have exploding cement. The main highway near me exploded in multiple places due to the heat and humidity.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #490
Administrator

Thanks, Freebird.

Dark skies and suddenly VERY strong winds out there, gusts probably 50 mph. Wild weather! Black clouds swirling all about. The temperature is plummeting, felt colder outside than in and I think rain might be coming!

Nope, no exploding cement, Aaron. Cement up there really gets the temperature extremes what with your cold winters and hot summers.

― B. Lee

Old 06-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #491
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Dark skies and suddenly VERY strong winds out there, gusts probably 50 mph. Wild weather! Black clouds swirling all about. The temperature is plummeting, felt colder outside than in and I think rain might be coming!
Yep. I'm jealous. Current temp 102...

Intellicast - Metro Radar Loop New Orleans

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #492
Administrator

It might have missed me. Not sure! I went outside, and nothing yet. Doesn't seem as wild. But I am hearing THUNDER!! <~~~ rain dance

Weatherman on TV says officially 101 here today, with heat index 115. That 101 is out at the airport, but 104 in town.

― B. Lee

Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. I'm jealous. Current temp 102...
Ditto on both counts. At least the dewpoint has been below 65 so the heat index has been almost tolerable.

Just calculated that from 4 PM yesterday to 4 PM today, we used 45 KWh of electricity.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #494
Give me a forum ...

We had a quick 5 minute rain shower about an hour ago, and with the cloud cover, it dropped from 100 to 89...

Looking at my records, I averaged 61 kWH/day in Sept 07... It's usually fifty-something from July to Oct.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #495
Administrator

Just went outside and got a drop of water on my face - - one drop only, but it sure felt good. Still no rain but it sure is trying.

Just heard on the news that the 104 in town (at Audubon Park) was the highest temperature for any date ever in history, in New Orleans. Previously the record was 103 which was in August of some prior year.

― B. Lee

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #496

Egads - even here outside of Chicago its 98. Haven't had a downpour in the last 24 hours - thats unusual.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Ditto on both counts. At least the dewpoint has been below 65 so the heat index has been almost tolerable.

Just calculated that from 4 PM yesterday to 4 PM today, we used 45 KWh of electricity.
I average just over 50KWh/day for 5 months in the winter but the summers I average just under 10KWh/day. I haven't even been tempted to turn the fan on let alone the A/C even though it's been in the 90's and muggy. I live 3/4 under ground and I also sit around in just my boxers and t-shirt so i'm comfortable. Winters are a whole lot worse than summers IMHO.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #498

This is starting to be ridiculous.
Quote:
the continuing heat wave that sent Houstonís temperature to 104 degrees Wednesday, the hottest it's ever gotten in June.

The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory until 7 p.m. today for all of southeast Texas. Houston's high is forecast to hit 101 today, which would be a third straight record, breaking another mark set in the historically hot summer of 1980.

And the abnormally severe heat -- yes, even for Houston -- is not expected to abate through the next 10 days or more
Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
86 in the shade. Light breeze. No rain. Helllllloooooooooo summertime!
Today, 90F in the shade, full sunshine, light breeze. Humidity is much higher today.
No AC in the house , so I will make my own poor man's AC device.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Anyone else have exploding cement. The main highway near me exploded in multiple places due to the heat and humidity.

....we've got sticky blacktop....