Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's hot...104 earlier. Cool front should be here by Monday...the high should only be 90.

I can't wait.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #502
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's hot...104 earlier. Cool front should be here by Monday...the high should only be 90.

I can't wait.....
It is frigging hot. I can't remember the last rain we got. Only a 20% chance tomorrow and none forecast for next week. Someday when I'm not looking after old folks(I'm not complaining), I'm headed up north for a portion of the summer. Martha's weather looks pretty darn good right now.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is pretty good right now. Sunny and 75 degrees. Just went out and picked a peony bouquet.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #504
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
It is frigging hot. I can't remember the last rain we got. Only a 20% chance tomorrow and none forecast for next week.
Must be our fault. We've had three huge downpours this week, and we're not even supposed to see rain on this side of Oahu from June through October.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #505
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

104 here today. Humidity or no humidity that is too damn hot to be outside 106 tomorrow..
Old 06-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #506
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I can't wait.....
Same here, they expect the heat wave to end at 8pm Sunday, how do they know? Anyway 86 today, way too hot for me with no A/C, should be 84 tomorrow, then a more reasonable 76 on a retiree's favorite day, Monday.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #507

I must say that we've had some wonderful weekends here in OHIO....each sunny weekend equals MONEY for our bounce house rental business. We've only been rained out ONE day all year!!! This weekend we are netting over 2k! Love it
Old 06-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #508
Moderator Emeritus

Nice day but very windy. We just drove across the "high" bridge over St. Louis bay between Minnesota and Wisconsin. A cop car was on the bridge, parked behind a rack with two kayaks on the road lane. Ahead of us was a car with a kayak and it was twitching and lifting, trying its best to leave the car. You could see the white knuckles of the driver as they slowly made there way across the bridge.

After we crossed we had to wait for a firetruck and sheriff's vehicle pulling its search and rescue boat as they went screaming down the highway to somewhere along the lake shore.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #509
Give me a forum ...

Blazing hot for this latitude and time of year - 90F in the shade.
Storm systems will be here off and on all through Thursday. It will be all indoor sports this week!
My garden is just loving this weather. Local farmer's corn will be "knee high by 4th of July" with no problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #510
Moderator Emeritus

Rain! Rain! RAIN!!! It's RAINING at last.
After all this blazing heat, it started with loud, scary thunder down very low and close just now, at dusk. Now, it's

....................RAINING!!!!!!

Eat your hearts out, Texans! Just kidding. Temperature is dropping by leaps and bounds.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #511
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Cold front moved through. Can see and feel humidity drop. Suppose to be in 50s tonight. might even need a blanket.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #512
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Cold front moved through. Can see and feel humidity drop. Suppose to be in 50s tonight. might even need a blanket.
You mean this one ?
NWS Enhanced Radar Mosaic: Northeast Sector Loop

Or is there more fun to come?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Same here, they expect the heat wave to end at 8pm Sunday, how do they know? Anyway 86 today, way too hot for me with no A/C, should be 84 tomorrow, then a more reasonable 76 on a retiree's favorite day, Monday.
Just thinking about no A/C makes me sweat.

BTW, 92 degrees at 8:41 p.m.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #514
Give me a forum ...

Our clothes washer is refusing to work when we try to wash in cold water because it senses the cold water is too damn hot. It's too smart for its own good. It sent an error code that indicates it thinks the hot and the cold may have been installed in reverse. We have to wash in warm water to get it to accept the water temperature.

The "cold" water from our tap is coming in at 85º. No such thing as taking a refreshing cold shower here for the next 2-3 months, I suspect.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #515
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Our clothes washer is refusing to work when we try to wash in cold water because it senses the cold water is too damn hot. It's too smart for its own good. It sent an error code that indicates it thinks the hot and the cold may have been installed in reverse.

The "cold" water from our tap is coming in at 85º.
Think of the money you're saving with all that free solar heating...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #516
Give me a forum ...

Look at what's coming for brunch today...
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY
The sky is full of angry blue-grey clouds and thunder is booming overhead...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #517
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Think of the money you're saving with all that free solar heating...
Things must work differently in Texas. All that free solar heating is what costs me an arm and a leg during summertime to keep my place cool.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #518

78 F here right now, and I wouldn't be at the keyboard if it weren't for the damn rain showers keeping me off my bike.

Those who want the rain are welcome to it. I asked the guy at work who writes the schedule to only schedule me for rainy days. He just laughed.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #519
Recycles dryer sheets

It is raining right now in NYC, after being hot and muggy today. (I'm not sure about that since I was indoors from 8 45 am to 4 45 pm )

It has been so rainy this month, an Irishwoman in our building is snarling saying things like, "I thought I moved to New York, not Cork."

On the plus side, I haven't gotten the a/c out yet!

ta,
mew
Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #520

Yipee! Rain! Not much, but at least wet stuff is falling from the sky - ooops, make that was falling from the sky. Showers lasted all of about 15-20 minutes, but the temperature dropped from 97 to 80 in a couple of minutes.