Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ah, if only I *had* a laundry room to cool! The washer and dryer in my (probably smaller) 1558 square foot house are located in a closet just for them.
Luxury! Ours are located in our detached garage. Which makes doing laundry really suck this time of year. Having said that, because of the front passing north of us (and as usual, sending all the rain farther north) we're down in the low 70s now and we're trying to do as much laundry as we can while the march to the garage is cooler...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #542
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Luxury! Ours are located in our detached garage. Which makes doing laundry really suck this time of year.
That is absolutely the PITS in central Texas in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Having said that, because of the front passing north of us (and as usual, sending all the rain farther north) we're down in the low 70s now and we're trying to do as much laundry as we can while the march to the garage is cooler...
Down in the lower 70's? Gee. We're at 89 and rising already. No fair!

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #543
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok...I'll fess up...my bill was $271. It was about $20 more this year than this time last year. I can't sleep hot.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #544

Quote:
That is absolutely the PITS in central Texas in the summer.
If we decide to stay in this house and retire here, we're probably going to add a master suite and a laundry/utility room, and attach the garage to the utility room. We have a fairly decent idea about how that would come together. But there's little financial reason to do so at the moment unless we're convinced we'll be "lifers" here or close to it (subject to the ability to escape for much of the summers).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #545
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok...I'll fess up...my bill was $271. It was about $20 more this year than this time last year. I can't sleep hot.
Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. Let me guess - - you live in the Taj Mahal (relatively speaking), and your DH (and kids?) are constantly opening the refrigerator or freezer, when they aren't leaving the back door open.

Looks like when I move to Missouri I'm going to get clobbered on my electric bill for not using enough electricity:
Analysis | With new charge, saving electricity could end up costing Missourians - Kansas City Star
Oh well! You just can't win.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #546
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luxury!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #547
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch. Let me guess - - you live in the Taj Mahal (relatively speaking), and your DH (and kids?) are constantly opening the refrigerator or freezer, when they aren't leaving the back door open..
Nah...none of the above. I cook with electric, we have outdoor lighting, a few small pumps in our pond, so that adds a little to the cost. I've just got to have it almost chilly in the house. I've always been hot natured.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll try to make ya feel better. My monthly gas and electric, spread out evenly with the budget plan, goes for around $300, every month to cover winter heating costs. I do not have AC in the house. I do have an outdoor hot tub.
Feel better?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #549
Give me a forum ...

Made me look... Last year with electricity and gas combined, I averaged $225 a month. Yeah..I've got gas. .....
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #550

Quote:
Made me look... Last year with electricity and gas combined, I averaged $225 a month. Yeah..I've got gas. .....
We don't even have gas here. When we bought the place, the kitchen and water heater were all electric, so when we added central heat we opted for a heat pump. We did that mostly because it rarely gets cold enough here to force the very expensive "emergency" electric-resistance heat strips to kick in, and because it would cost us about $12 a month just to have a gas account even if we didn't use ANY. Given that we'd only need gas for heating and we only need heating 4-5 months a year, it made economic sense to use a heat pump rather than conventional A/C and a gas furnace.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We don't even have gas here. When we bought the place, the kitchen and water heater were all electric, so when we added central heat we opted for a heat pump. We did that mostly because it rarely gets cold enough here to force the very expensive "emergency" electric-resistance heat strips to kick in, and because it would cost us about $12 a month just to have a gas account even if we didn't use ANY. Given that we'd only need gas for heating and we only need heating 4-5 months a year, it made economic sense to use a heat pump rather than conventional A/C and a gas furnace.
I'm glad it's working for you.

When we were in southeast MO many moons ago, we lived in a duplex with a heat pump. It did not work well in the summer. But, like I said that was a long time ago and perhaps the brand was crappy....
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #552
Give me a forum ...

SPECIAL NEWS REPORT........It's hawt in TX.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #553

It's amazing how many things humankind has learned to do with science, and we can't get a stupid big high pressure system to move to a place that doesn't want any more rain...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #554
Administrator

Quote:
Don't worry - - we have two or three more months for it to rise. Mine was only $74.40, but it was automatically deducted from my bank account on June 17th so I am expecting the next one to go up.
It did. The amount to be deducted on July 16th is $87.56 Oh well, could be worse and probably will be, next month.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #555
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Got my first "summer" electric bill. It wasn't as bad as I thought....
Got my first summer electric bill. It was $46.06. Wish it were summer all year. Winter averages about $175/mo with moderate suffering while summer's under $50/mo with less suffering. This is for a 860sq ft condo.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #556
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Our last electric bill was $134. That was down about $24 from same period last summer. Elec. bill includes a separate security light account, and we also run some outside lights, and a 2 HP pool pump some hours each day. We have the house split into a main area, and a bedroom wing. Each area has it's own furnace/AC. The thermostat temps swap back and forth day/night.

Our water heating is gas, clothes dryer is gas. Last gas bill was $18, almost all of that was fixed costs, very little gas used this time of year.

I assume you have a ceiling fan in there to help out!

I'm curious how many KWH you used on that $271 bill. Ours was 970 total. I should be getting another electric bill in a week or so.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Our last electric bill was $134. That was down about $24 from same period last summer. Elec. bill includes a separate security light account, and we also run some outside lights, and a 2 HP pool pump some hours each day. We have the house split into a main area, and a bedroom wing. Each area has it's own furnace/AC. The thermostat temps swap back and forth day/night.

Our water heating is gas, clothes dryer is gas. Last gas bill was $18, almost all of that was fixed costs, very little gas used this time of year.

I assume you have a ceiling fan in there to help out!

I'm curious how many KWH you used on that $271 bill. Ours was 970 total. I should be getting another electric bill in a week or so.
Just looked at my bill online. I used 2060 KWH. The funny thing is, my neighbor's bill is usually $150 more than mine; her house is about the same size as mine and she's at w*rk all day.

Yeah, I've got six ceiling fans that help out a lot. I've got five skylights that are nice, but they can make it a little toasty at times...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #558
Administrator

Quote:
I used 2060 KWH.
There's your problem. Maybe you can make a game of trying to reduce your kWh to 1500 for a while. Think of all the money you could save in a year if you got used to lower usage.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #559

Quote:
There's your problem. Maybe you can make a game of trying to reduce your kWh to 1500 for a while. Think of all the money you could save in a year if you got used to lower usage.
It's also a function of home size, of course -- one reason I'm liking our small, spartan digs. We used about 1200 kWh last month despite almost every day being over 100 and the A/C (3-ton, 14 SEER) being on almost constantly. We had the ceiling fans whirring and the thermostat at 78-80 most of the time.

Looking forward to a week of getting away from this in about three weeks' time.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Nah..ain't gonna sweat to save a few dollars. If I can't afford the utility bill and am uncomfortable in my own home, I'll go back to work.